I'm mixing a new soil, can you check and tell me if I'm about to miss anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chamenon

Reaction score
Well, time to start mixing my own. I thought I should run my list through by the forum in order to get some suggestions or heads up about any potential mistakes?

I'm basing it on Coots recipe. I'm trying to catch a balance between cost, local availability and quality.

1/3 Sphagnum Peat Moss - From Lowe's, Majestic/Fafard (I think these are the same brand - SunGro, and it says %100 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss), about $23 for 3 cu. ft.
1/3 Aeration - 1/4"-3/8" Volcanic Pumice - Already have about 1 cu. ft.

This is where I need some suggestions;

1/3 Compost - Local, organic and high quality Earth Worm Castings ($30 for 1 cu. ft.) OR Bu's Malibu Biodynamic Compost ($25 for 12 qt. but seems very high quality) OR Coast of Maine Lobster Compost blend ($16 for 1 cu. ft. I was really excited to use this one thinking it was a lobster compost since I prefer marine based ingredients, but it's not, it's %50-%50 mixture of cow manure and sphagnum peat moss, plus lobster and crab meal, at least the ones that are sent to my local store, I checked this with Coast of Maine and verified, they say they have 2 facilities, one is lobster compost, one is cow manure)

For the amendments, Coots suggests these;

1 cup kelp meal
1 cup neem meal or an equal amount of neem & karanja mix

I'm planning to replace these with 2 cups per cu. ft. of Down to Earth Bio-Live, ingredients; [Fish Bone Meal, Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Crab Meal, Shrimp Meal, Langbeinite, and Kelp Meal] (I have a lot that I need to use up)

1 cup of limestone or more exactly Calcium Carbonate CaCO3 so Oyster Shell Powder/flour I'm planning to use Down to Earth Organic White Oyster Shell (about $8 for 1 lb. or $17 for 5 lbs.)
1/2 cup Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (locally available and affordable)

Rock dust; 3 cups of either basalt or granite. (A little confused about this and open to suggestions)

Long and detailed post, I understand people may not have time to click everything and read all of it but since this is going to be a long term commitment, I'd appreciate every single opinion in order to avoid mistakes. Thanks a lot in advance!

Well, time to start mixing my own. I thought I should run my list through by the forum in order to get some suggestions or heads up about any potential mistakes?

I'm basing it on Coots recipe. I'm trying to catch a balance between cost, local availability and quality.

1/3 Sphagnum Peat Moss - From Lowe's, Majestic/Fafard (I think these are the same brand - SunGro, and it says %100 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss), about $23 for 3 cu. ft.

1/3 Compost - Local, organic and high quality Earth Worm Castings ($30 for 1 cu. ft.) OR Bu's Malibu Biodynamic Compost ($25 for 12 qt. but seems very high quality) OR Coast of Maine Lobster Compost blend ($16 for 1 cu. ft. I was really excited to use this one thinking it was a lobster compost since I prefer marine based ingredients, but it's not, it's %50-%50 mixture of cow manure and sphagnum peat moss, plus lobster and crab meal, at least the ones that are sent to my local store, I checked this with Coast of Maine and verified, they say they have 2 facilities, one is lobster compost, one is cow manure)

1 cup kelp meal

I'm planning to replace these with 2 cups per cu. ft. of Down to Earth Bio-Live, ingredients; [Fish Bone Meal, Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Crab Meal, Shrimp Meal, Langbeinite, and Kelp Meal] (I have a lot that I need to use up)

1 cup of limestone or more exactly Calcium Carbonate CaCO3 so Oyster Shell Powder/flour I'm planning to use Down to Earth Organic White Oyster Shell (about $8 for 1 lb. or $17 for 5 lbs.)

Rock dust; 3 cups of either basalt or granite. (A little confused about this and open to suggestions)

Long and detailed post, I understand people may not have time to click everything and read all of it but since this is going to be a long term commitment, I'd appreciate every single opinion in order to avoid mistakes. Thanks a lot in advance!
Beware of composted manure will bring flies and other bugs.

1 cup kelp meal

Are you an engineer, by chance?

Are you an engineer, by chance?
If you want a good super soil go to you tube and search rows of green super soil. He grew trees. 4 or 5 plants made a pickup truck full of buds. I watched him all last summer the buds were huge like the size of my hand. Thats the only recipe I saw for your own soil mix. He calls it super soil.

If you want a good super soil go to you tube and search rows of green super soil. He grew trees. 4 or 5 plants made a pickup truck full of buds. I watched him all last summer the buds were huge like the size of my hand. Thats the only recipe I saw for your own soil mix. He calls it super soil.
Good advice Jan

Years ago I mixed Coots super soil with all the adds he said to use
I found the soil worked good, but the new store bought grow soils work just as good. Mix some of coots and do a side by side and see if you notice any big differences,
I had a hard time mixing large batches , I should have had a cement mixer.

Thanks! I'll look him up.

Years ago I mixed Coots super soil with all the adds he said to use
I found the soil worked good, but the new store bought grow soils work just as good. Mix some of coots and do a side by side and see if you notice any big differences,
I had a hard time mixing large batches , I should have had a cement mixer.
Don't you still have to add supplements like cal/mag, epsom salt........

Thanks for the answer everyone, I got busy and couldn't follow up with the thread, thanks for taking time to share your opinions.

Beware of composted manure will bring flies and other bugs.

As I'm reading more online, I came to the conclusion, people prefer worm castings to compost and most people mix worm castings with compost due to high cost of worm castings. My local gardening shop carries high quality organic worm castings for about the same price as any quality compost they offer. So I decided to go full worm castings and leave the compost out of the mix completely.

I add a bit of Epsom salts and blood meal to my SS mix. All those ingredients need to break down further to be useful.

As for rock dust - I believe its of no real value because it can take up to a few years to break down into a form that can be taken up and used by the plants

Thanks for the answer everyone, I got busy and couldn't follow up with the thread, thanks for taking time to share your opinions.

As I'm reading more online, I came to the conclusion, people prefer worm castings to compost and most people mix worm castings with compost due to high cost of worm castings. My local gardening shop carries high quality organic worm castings for about the same price as any quality compost they offer. So I decided to go full worm castings and leave the compost out of the mix completely.

we love worm po-op!

we use ProMix and add worm casting , bat and bird guano , and some chicken manure……..

keep us posted on your results!

It looks like worm castings have a pretty broad range of NPK(I assume compost does as well and would be dependent on what plant matter went into making the compost)so I would keep an eye on things. I would also be concerned that the worm castings may be ‘hot’ especially for seedings. I get a lot of worm casting mounds in my yard and have yet to see grass/weeds growing up through them. Additionally, I have read that the pH is neutral(~7) which is too alkaline for healthy cannabis plants.
190EE50B-BC0D-47F4-93B0-ED509B251E80.png

I like to use Coco peat 30%, add some perlite/vermiculite 20% and use a base of premix soil 50%. Quick, cheap and effective. I also recycle the soil a few times and then toss it into the garden outside. Walmart had a sale this year (of course), so I stocked up on all of that. Do need some bigger pots, though, and might switch to fabric containers.

Latest posts

Back