is the 250 gonna cut it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
the problem is i'm a college student still pretty much living off of mom and dad's money. that means they pay the electricity bill, and are likely to notice if a bill price spike occurs. that being said here's the setup.

i tried growing with 156total watts of cfls in a 1' by 2.5' cabinet on some bagseed. the plants got about a foot tall and now i'm flowering them so i can sex them out.

i want to set up my next grow room in my closet and make a space 4' by 1.75' wrapped in mylar. i wanna try a staggered grow with some autoseeds, prolly ak47. i want to get a high output 250 watt hps. it should only put out another 7-10 bucks in electricity a month. unfortunatly i know its not ideal for a room that size.

so my question is would the 250 still be sufficient considering the small nature of the autoflowering plants?

I plugged your dimensions into a light calculator.

Minimum Lighting 25 watts Per Square Foot
Lighting
The minimum recommended lighting for your area is 150 watts
Ventilation
The minimum flow rating of your fan should be 0.0 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM)
Power Requirements
This setup will require 1.6 amps to be available at all times for safest operation*

Optimum Lighting 40 watts Per Square Foot
Lighting
The optimum reccomended lighting for your area is 240 watts
Ventilation
For optimum ventilation the flow rating of your fan should be around 0.0 Cubic Feet per Minute
Power Requirements
This setup will require 2.6 amps to be available at all times for safest operation*

Maximum Lighting 60 watts Per Square Foot
Lighting
The maximum reccomended lighting for your area is 360 watts
Ventilation
Going this way you will require a fan with a flow rating of at least 0.0 Cubic Feet per Minute
Power Requirements
This setup will require 3.9 amps to be available at all times for safest operation*
Additional Comments
Getting to these points and or over it is highly reccomended the grower use Co2 in their room as your plants will only be able to photosythesise a certain amount of light before needing a Co2 boost to benifit

damn bro thats a lot more of an answer than i was expecting. thanks a lot that really boosts my confidence moving forward on the project. peace

We generally figure light demands as lumens per sq ft. IMO, 5000lumens per sq ft is what you should strive for for flowering. You are talking about a 7 sq ft space, so should be striving for 35000 lumens. A 250W HPS puts out about 28,500 lumens, so a 250W will put you at about 4070--a little under what would be ideal, but it will probably do a fine job for you.

Cooling it should be a snap if you make a cool tube for it and air cool it.

The Hemp Goddess said:
We generally figure light demands as lumens per sq ft. IMO, 5000lumens per sq ft is what you should strive for for flowering. You are talking about a 7 sq ft space, so should be striving for 35000 lumens. A 250W HPS puts out about 28,500 lumens, so a 250W will put you at about 4070--a little under what would be ideal, but it will probably do a fine job for you.

Cooling it should be a snap if you make a cool tube for it and air cool it.

I normally also figure in lumens but I use an Aussie light calculator web page and I like to use an average of 50 watts/sq ft instead of the 40 they use. But hey its better than nothing:rofl:

Latest posts

Back