Is this a mutation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldHippieChick

apostate
Reaction score
About three weeks ago I attempted to germinate some Ice seeds and only one of three came up. At about day 3 of breaking ground, I ripped him out of the soil by mistake of course. I stuck the lil twig back in the dirt and hoped for the best. Well it didn't die, but didn't "grow" either. Now it's started to sprout all these tiny lil 1/2 inch leaves. Please take a look. In the one pic it's sitting under the canopy of the WW that broke soil the same day. I attempted to crop the same pic so you could see it up close.... Any ideas or predictions? Mutant? Birth defect? New "micro" strain ? hehehe
BTW it's not planted in the same pot - it's still in its jiffy puck and just sitting on top of the other pots soil so you can compare and it can get some cfls.

001-1.JPG

001-2.JPG

Hello OldHippieChick :)

Let it have its own pot and let it do its own thing.

It could have been the shock of you ripping it out of the soil and ripping some of its root off that has slowed its growth down.

Treat it as your special plant and let it show you what it is willing to give :aok:

:peace:

awww aint it cute...little freak! Like you have a circus act in your grow room! I'm jealous, I love freaks!

It's a mini me. This may not help but i got cilantro growing next to spearmint in a plantrs balcony box, just to see. The spearmint started to produce some weird things. First it grew on its own from just leaves falling. then this happened. spearmint/cilantro. All edible. Uses can range from lamb to fish, cooking styles chineese to mexican! Nature will find a way, i'm with HIE, give a home of it's own and let it grow!

DCFC0006.JPG

DCFC0007.JPG

DCFC0008.JPG

I have a weird little mutant plant that looked somewhat like that growing now. It took forever to germ, then it seemed to top itself, and growth has been slow. I has started to grow a bit more normally now, but I will be curious to see how it does from here on out. It was germed at the same time and in the same way as another strain that I germed at the same time, so I don't think it was anything I did:rolleyes:

11-8-09 008-2.jpg

I had a self topper last year too.

Grew slower and smaller than all the rest and only produced 20gms at harvest.

2 2 Self Topped.JPG

2 2 Self Topped 2.JPG

nice girl hippy.:) ...

tell me, how does a plant top itself?... maybe a bug, lets say a grasshopper? interesting, as i've not had this happen yet. i've had many rabbits take a bite, and top my stuff outside. this is when i began caging...

hello hippychick. :ciao: ...

get the wee 'lil one out from under(momma)?... let her have some more of the blues.:) ...

also, have you ever experimented with the spice , dill , mixed in your mj pots, and grown with your mj throughout the grow? i have heard it is a mite deterent? input?

i ran this in my OD grow this past summer in abundance. i had no mites, so nothing really to guage an experiment such as this... was only wondering, cause you know, inquiring minds need to know...:D :cool: ...

have you ever smoked the ice OHC? i have not, but have heard it is awsome meds...;) ... take care, and here's a bit 'o green Irish MOJO,for the wee 'lil one...Irish...

IRISH said:
nice girl hippy.:) ...

tell me, how does a plant top itself?... maybe a bug, lets say a grasshopper? interesting, as i've not had this happen yet. i've had many rabbits take a bite, and top my stuff outside. this is when i began caging...

Thats what I presumed as well IRISH.

As you can see in my pictures the double branching starts at almost soil level so it must have happened early whatever it was.

OK. she's been named MiniMiss and she got repotted with MG seed starter soil into a 1 quart pot and I gave her her own 30W 2000 lumin CFL so she can do her thing. She'll live on the plant stand in the office for now so she can see what's going on.

I don't know enough to argue about the self topping vs a bug topping. She was under a dome until the cluster of leaves appeared but of course I did have the dome cover off occasionally. Irish, I've never smoked Ice... in fact never smoked anything I've grown. Just getting started and prepping for my first grow. I've got 10 lil autos germinating now. I see tap roots on 7 so far... so I'm grabbin that green Irish mojo and going with it. Thanks all.

Hello OHC :)

Has the MG soil got nutrients in it?

2000 lumens is not enough, a minimum of 3,500 for veg and 5,000 for flower ;)

The nutes are very very mild. I would generally stay clear of anything starting with a M and a G but Hamster Lewis has had great results starting off with the seed starter formula and my WW seems to love it. I've got organic nutes coming next week. I'm mirroring HLs second auto tent grow and so it's what I had on hand to get the auto grow started .... Also started the WW with the 30W 2000 lumins and it may be growing slow but it is certaily tight and bushy. Roughly 5" tall and as wide as 10" and the newest leaves have seven points....
I'm stuck because I don't want to kill off either of these plants but will only have one grow room and planning on a 24/0 light schedule for the autos. Of course I can veg these two with the autos but will have to come up with a flowering chamber or play with cloning and learn to top off or LST(?) to keep the height down. I may (after I get the ten autos potted and under the 600W) convert another closet into a flowering chamber.... just buying time with the cfls for the moment.... I unintentionally complicated things by switching my plan to autos but I think I can handle it if I can just keep these guys in veg mode while I work out a plan.

I have 1 bit of advice, do not think you can copy people and get the same result.

It wont happen.

It's all good Hippie. I'm not betting the farm on exact results but if one has no original thought (yet) - best to pick a starting point and follow a lead. Isn't that why newbies like me come here? We scour the GJs and ask our stupid questions so we can gleen through and build a plan based on someone elses success. I notice the experienced growers and the newbies with survival instincts are the ones who adapt quickly when faced with obsticles or can be critical when they fail - same instinct just on a slower time frame. I'm sure I'll pay my dues in the near future. Thank you for your encouragement. If you knew what a brown thumb I have I probably wouldn't have been allowed membership here.

Here's my lil "freak-oid"(;) 2dog) at day 36.
She's a whopping 3" tall from dirt to crown and 3.5" at her widest point. She's still in her 1 quart pot and I just spotted a single root at one of the drain holes.
I don't know how to judge this lil freak as far as sexual maturity.... It DOES have intermitent nodes but it's sorta laughable to expect a bud on the lil darlin' so I'll just let it veg till it gets tired of playing catch up.

031.JPG

033.JPG

029.JPG

OldHippieChick said:
Here's my lil "freak-oid"(;) 2dog) at day 36.
She's a whopping 3" tall from dirt to crown and 3.5" at her widest point. She's still in her 1 quart pot and I just spotted a single root at one of the drain holes.
I don't know how to judge this lil freak as far as sexual maturity.... It DOES have intermitent nodes but it's sorta laughable to expect a bud on the lil darlin' so I'll just let it veg till it gets tired of playing catch up.

It actually looks really good...this is how my Paki acted..it had hard times early and then slow growth...but I also think that is what made her so compact and bushy...yours seems to be going in the same direction...:) Keep giving her love and let her do her thang and you might hve one hella bushy plant on your hands...

Latest posts

Back