Jiffy plugs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lastritez

Reaction score
I have decided to use jiffy plugs rather than rockwool. As I understand it, rockwall is non biodegradeable, adn while I wouldn't consider myself a full blown enviromentalist, I do think it's important to make sure that the items I use can be recycled or at least break down and not cause a problem when they are no longer needed.

Does anyone have any information or advice on using this medium? I grow in DWC and have been told that the cubes can be used in the net pot and clay beads the same as rockwool. The plugs and cube have a thin material membrane surrounding them, will the roots be able to make their way through this membrane, it is claimed they can, or should it be removed?

Thanks in advance for any help and information

Lastritez said:
I have decided to use jiffy plugs rather than rockwool. As I understand it, rockwall is non biodegradeable, adn while I wouldn't consider myself a full blown enviromentalist, I do think it's important to make sure that the items I use can be recycled or at least break down and not cause a problem when they are no longer needed.

Does anyone have any information or advice on using this medium? I grow in DWC and have been told that the cubes can be used in the net pot and clay beads the same as rockwool. The plugs and cube have a thin material membrane surrounding them, will the roots be able to make their way through this membrane, it is claimed they can, or should it be removed?

Thanks in advance for any help and information
ive used them but they were being transplanted into soil
the roots will grow rite threw the membrane;) its just peat moss inside.
as for using them in DWC i dont think its a good idea they hold to much water your much better off doing all your DWC growing with hydroton or as you say the clay beeds in net pots from seeds, clone's all the way to flower
thats how i do it. i just see root problems with the jiffy pellets staying to wet

I would not use Jiffy Plugs in a hydro system. Once the roots start growing through the membrane, the peat moss will not be contained. I also use rapid rooters like Andy. Check them out.

yes i wouldnt put them in hydro either as bits of soil can blockup your pumps pipes :)

Latest posts

Back