led vs. fluorescent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
got this in an email i got from supplyer

Too Much (Wrong) Information? For Sure!

Every day we see tons of data being thrown around the internet on forums and blogs concerning the operational costs of LED and other grow lights.

Sadly, most of the numbers are either concocted or way off the mark; and it's tough to make an apples-to-apples comparison because of fundamentally different natures of two different lights.

So, we decided to dig deeper and settle this once and for all. Instead of churning numbers out of thin air, we're going to give you solid, hard data on operational costs of LED and fluorescent grow light.

LED vs. Fluorescent Grow Light

The lights we're comparing are XML 350 (Running Wattage: 336 Watts) and Sun Blaze 48 (Running Wattage: 468 Watts).

But before we dive into the data set, we'd like to point out that many people mistake LUX values or wattage as benchmarks against which all grow lights are measured. In reality, neither wattage nor LUX value determine how potent a light is.

The Number That Really Matters: PAR/Watt

What truly determines the potency and efficiency of a light is PAR value (External link: Wikipedia). PAR measurement is useful for a number of reasons, the primary one being that it measures the band of light (400nm-700nm) where photosynthesis can occur. A secondary reason is that the light is measured uniformly. LUX readings are geared toward the way humans see light, so greens and yellows are given a higher weight than purples and blues. PAR readings measure nearly the whole visible light spectrum, 400nm-700nm, evenly.

Therefore, the only benchmark you should be comparing lights against is PAR/watt, which is quite simply a measurement of photosynthetically active radiation generated by a light source for every watt it consumes.

Now then, let's look at these numbers:

Bottom Line: The Diamond Series XML 350 LED light clearly blows its fluorescent counterpart out of the water by costing 6.2% less to run.

Imagine running 10 of these in your grow space and you can see this 6.2% adding up. And let's not forget that the cost of electricity increases every year like clockwork, so it doesn't really make sense to save on upfront costs when you'll be losing money on the backend.

If you grow commercially, this 6.2% savings in operational costs means higher profit margins and more money in your pocket.

But here's what you probably didn't know: The PAR/watt value for XML 350 is 17.23 while the PAR/watt value for T5 is 6.04. In other terms, XML 350 offers 185% more photosynthetically active radiation that plants actually use while costing 15% less than T5 fluorescent light. That is almost two times more PAR/watt!

Even if you compare LUX values, XML 350 generates 212% more light in the visible spectrum than T5 48 Sun Blaze. Talk about knocking it out of the park!

See the results below for actual spectrometer readings:

There it is, folks. You'd be hard pressed to find numbers more accurate. Let us know what you think by replying to this email and stay tuned for an awesome infographic next week.

Click here to read full specs for Diamond Series XML 350

Until next time,
I'm Kyle @ Advanced LED Lights

Well most of the stuff you read or google will say how much better LED is more efficient, less heat bla bla bla, owe i forgot and cause of the spectrum, better quality product.
quality comes from the strain and of course degree of the grower to get it there.
But Bottom line its about yield and LED just does not cut it yet
Ask your self one thing when a person searches on the tube for:ED you get just the 90 watt grows etc never a par test or another actual tests given to actual good growing lights
Anyways you here all the crap about LED growers saying it can compete with HPS but 99 percent of the time its never done i say forget about LED and look into plasma if your worried about heat cause i can guarantee you Plasma will Kick LEDS butt [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnHglynTIdE[/ame]

I think PJ would be one person I would want to hear from on this topic. The dude has put in a lot of time and effort into LED's. He is the guy I would and will go to when it comes time for me to put my foot into the LED waters. jmo

I am sure PJ will tell you that LED will produce what 70 lumens per watt where plasma will do 140 lumens per watt

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGsM9pplUs[/ame]

you might be right but i have no current intrest in plasma i do like the LEDs thought i just started another plant under the led lights i got, and i can not complain with what i get out of them, and the artical is just a comparason done by the led market mostly pointing out there results in what the lights used up in electrical and put out in light from what i read the leds put out three times more light the the t5s and cost less the run not to mention the lights last for a few years opposed to a few months .

Dr....the OP is not interested in Plasma lights. Although interesting it's not relevant to his question. LED's have come a long way and they will continue to improve. As with anything dealing with current technology, you tske a risk that after you buy the latest and greatest, the next best thing can show uo and even be cheaper.. My wife got her first Smart Phone right before the technology took off. She was stuck for 2 years with a piece of crap until her contract was up.

two years with a crappy phone i bet that sucked, no offence but i had been pissed if that had happened to me .

two years with a crappy phone i bet that sucked, no offence but i had been pissed if that had happened to me .

I listened to my wife complain every day and night..lol.
I was more than happy to get her a Note 3 when her contract was up. :D

And no offense taken. :)

well at least the technalogie is there now and it takes people like your wife who invest in things for them to become better . so i would sure think that now is the time to get a high teck phone they work alright with good providers like verizon, at&t ..at least IMO

TBO LED have come a long way and again better tech is always coming around the corner is led better then fluorescents ??
well it all depends i guess if your tight wad and worried about you electrical bill of a measly few bucks growing with either of these types of lights, then save up for your LED cause they will be more cost efficient and most importantly for them tree huggers out there environmentally friendly what a perfect sales pitch environmentally friendly lol
does not size of room also make a difference ????
Fluorescents are still cheap compared to LED and will light up a room at a overall lower cost
but for instance the higher wattage you go and larger rooms you go HID has
the advantage against single mid-wattage LED lamps purely based on light intensity, coverage and penetration from a hid Leds just don't have the same coverage and penetration
So now many people are being lured into LED's .... and i wonder why ??? so they are comparing 240- 300 watt led to a 400 MH so what kind of yields are we really talking about ????? 4 - 6 oz ????? how much was initial LED investment ??
how fast will you smoke that before next harvest is done... Or how much would you of you made if sold after expenses ?? food , misc power bills.
All i see from growing with LED is low heat , low electrical bill, but with that you get smaller then average yields , airy buds
I used to grow non stop summer thru winter but again a person needs a break from this now and again that is good medicine lol
but either way i when i did i would pull 3 grows and harvest 18 pounds not including 20 oz of hash from this as well enough weed/.hash to smoke for all year and some if i want or unload it @ 2300 per you do the math with less then 1000 total power bill now that is being efficient
Skull its all cool what your doing not bashing nothing happy growing doc

I am sure PJ will tell you that LED will produce what 70 lumens per watt where plasma will do 140 lumens per watt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGsM9pplUs
Nope, you won't hear me say a word on plasma's, as I have Zero experience with them and I don't speak on things I have no backed up facts about.

I will say however that I out yield most 2 to 1 LED's vs HID lighting all day long and do watt for watt.

And for the record, lumens mean **** if the color/spectrum is not in tune. If lumens were truly the driving force, we'd all be using halogens.

But Bottom line its about yield and LED just does not cut it yet
Pick a strain any strain and I'll out yield you 2 to 1 in the same amount of time.

21 day veg only.

Wanna see some real facts, put up or shut up time.

What a concept.... not talking about a subject you know personally nothing about?????

WOW.... Thanks PJ. Sarcasm intended.

Loving my LED's.

dr fever you cold be right about the hid lights not sure but the comparison here was about the cost of running the leds vs the cost of running the t5's and the amoutof plant useable light they put out i think the leds won . this one

Pick a strain any strain and I'll out yield you 2 to 1 in the same amount of time.

21 day veg only.

Wanna see some real facts, put up or shut up time.

You are absolutely right lumens mean nothing i been trying to tell people here all the time but anyways i am all about YIELD and for me i am sorry , Being efficient going to be a long time before LED can compete with HID or even plasma out of curiosity PJ ????
how many LED's is needed to make 6.5 - 7.5 pounds Cost wise ???? do you make this amount consistently i average 1180 dry grams per `1000 watts Also PJ i realize that LED can grow in vegetative state Yet most growers i know using LED add HPS in flower why is that ???? could it really be cause lack of penetration power ??? bottom line from what i see on other forums most led growers are averaging .56 and up to 1.3 grams per watt but again from 60 grams dry to 600 grams dry know where close to 3500 dry grams lol
And to say you will beat me 2 -1 is looking for trouble there PJ put up or shut up ok i will try to post a plant 21 days veg can you please post one as well from clone ????? LED is great for Veg so it should be bigger NO ???
Skull the lights you choose are definitely not the only factor that will affect your growing success and yields. But with everything equal more light equals more bud end of story friends have pm'd me about why i chose to run plasma in between my 1000's and the truth is LEP lasts 3- 5 times longer then HPS ,,, and with LEP sun like full spectrum it is a smart choice over adding more HPS or led as supplementary lighting we will see this fall how it turns out 18,000 watts worth Gavita, LEP, and MH

View attachment Daay30.jpg

View attachment picture489gr.jpg

View attachment 385.jpg

View attachment 045.jpg

View attachment 035.jpg

View attachment 116.jpg

What a concept.... not talking about a subject you know personally nothing about?????

WOW.... Thanks PJ. Sarcasm intended.

Loving my LED's.
Wrong i do know and have read lots on led there Rose ,,,,,
With LED's, you are only producing light in very narrow bands of spectrum. The idea is to make all the light on the plant useable. So LED's have 2-3 times the PAR output of HPS. This is where the efficiency comes in. The problem wiht most LED's are that they don't have the correct spectrum represented to grow efficently and most people simply don't understand what they need to do to make an LED grow successful.. they buy a LED and ejust go with what is there ending up in upset Rose out of curisoty what is your spread on your diodes 120 degree ???? from what my friends are telling me if you want to go LED you want to go Quad Band with a 6:1:1:1 ratio.
they also told me go with diodes that have a 90 degree spread instead of the traditional 120 degrees and use high power diodes.
Remember that LED's produce NO UV-B and no far red or infra red light. So if you are only using LED's your going to need to add suplimental lighting for full spectrum to promote branching. LED's don't typically come in a configuration with any light produced beyond 660nm. Far red (above 700nm) is what triggers shaded branches to grow out into the light. So if you want to grow bushes you will need to add other lighting or you won't get branching and your internode spacing will be extremely tight.
and this is why so many add cfl's , flourous, reptile lighting, and HPS in with there LED's

And as for comparing LED to HID a friend ran a LED set up equivalent to a 2000 watt hid watts and i will see if i can get him to join up and post his grow ???? He will tell you he produced some really nice buds but the yields didn;t come close to matching a 2000 watt hid grow black star 480 watt i should just buy this and do a side by side being i am experienced but lets look at what really is needed here Size: 15.75" x 8.375"

Coverage Area: 3' x 2' (6 Square Feet)

LED Chipset: 3W

Number of LED's: 80

Rated Hours: 40,000

Bands: 6 Band

Red: 630, 660nm

Blue: 425nm

Infrared: 730nm

Ultraviolet: 380nm

White: 12000k

Worldwide Voltage: 90v-240v

Modular Power Cord (Available in US, UK, EU, AU)

Warranty: 3 Year Limited
and do a closet grow haha wondering if 2 of these are comparable to 1000 hid

like the buds there dr fever i have not measured what amout of grams i get from my leds but i will be sure to do that at the end of my current grow i got one j-zone in dwc and will be using only 235 watts of LED light i will remember to measure it before i smoke it .

I hope

this is the one pictured here .

I am not as an experienced of a grow as you or P jammers but will try anyway ...:vap_smiley:

View attachment 04272014-3.jpg

Awesome skull i hope you do well my friend bottom line if we don't try new things we will never know

you and me both .I think with all the info i got from the mp and ED rothahials huh can't spell his name but i got one of his grow books and theres plenty of info in there , should get me buy okay :cool2:

Awesome skull i hope you do well my friend bottom line if we don't try new things we will never know
Funny you would post that considering you have never run a real LED and have no facts of your own except what "your buddies do".

Waiting for that 21 day plant your gonna post, and if you think anyone with a clue is going to believe that SOG plant you posted is 21 days from root you are high.

Like I said I don't post on things I don't have a clue on. You should do the same.

2 to 1, and I'll use less than 60 watts to grow the entire plant. Pretty sure you'll be hard pressed to find a 60 watt HPS, but by all means get your ducks lined up and LMK when you're ready.

Maybe your buddies can learn something as well...

View attachment 21 days veg.jpg

Latest posts

Back