light and room size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock

Reaction score
I have two rooms.
room one - 7feet by 8 by 6 H feet. Would two 600 electronic switchable ballasts work or is that too much.
room two - 8 by 9 by 8H feet. Again would two 600 switchable electronic ballast work?
I will be choosing one room for my veg. and the other for my bloom.
This is what I have read:
250 watt - 4 x 4 = 16 square feet
400 watt - 5 x 5 = 25 square feet
600 watt - 6 x 6 = 36 square feet
1000 watt 8 x 8 = 64 square feet

I'm asking your experience in lighting.
What have you experienced?
will you get a better grow from 600 watt lights than 400 in this grow area?
someone had mentioned the bigger the better. Is this true?

i will recommend you use floros to veg...NOT cfl's, but floro tubes...the plants just like em' better at younger stages...also , i'll say your rooms are too big for 1200w unless you devide the rooms within themselves...as far as the 8x8 with 1000w, you'd actually need 2000w in that space to achieve "close to potential" buds, otherwise they will not be as dense or as large as they could be.....and yes,.. light is everything...arguably more important than the nutes

look at my "industrial grow room build" link in my signature for a few setup ideas...that WAS an optimal setup...dam po po's

I've been at it for years Puff but your setup was indeed, very good. I hope everything's goin well. Sheez, if you could see my room you'd laugh at the duct tape and hangin emergency blankeys, fat girlz layin across each other. lol! Take care, bud. p.s. I konw you'll be up and at it again in no time, Puffmonkey. ;)

peacock said:
I have two rooms.
room one - 7feet by 8 by 6 H feet. Would two 600 electronic switchable ballasts work or is that too much.
room two - 8 by 9 by 8H feet. Again would two 600 switchable electronic ballast work?
I will be choosing one room for my veg. and the other for my bloom.
This is what I have read:
250 watt - 4 x 4 = 16 square feet
400 watt - 5 x 5 = 25 square feet
600 watt - 6 x 6 = 36 square feet
1000 watt 8 x 8 = 64 square feet

I'm asking your experience in lighting.
What have you experienced?
will you get a better grow from 600 watt lights than 400 in this grow area?
someone had mentioned the bigger the better. Is this true?

Don't know where you got that info, but it isn't even close to enough light. You need to figure at least 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 l per sq ft for flowering. Lumens will vary some with the bulb you use, but these are averages:

250W - 28500 lumens - 5.7 sq ft
400W - 50000 lumens - 10 sq ft
600W - 90000 lumens - 18 sq ft.
1000W - 150000 lumens - 30 sq ft

Lumens also decrease with the age of the bulb, so these figures are the very top end of how large you would want your space. I have a 1000W in a space 3 x 6.5 x 7.5. I wouldn't consider any less wattage in this space.

Latest posts

Back