Light Intensity/Wattage (HPS/MH) Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan-2.6-

Toker ala Green
Reaction score
Hey long time no see everyone,
So i was wondering about the intensity of a 400 Watt HPS and MH light in a 3x5x5 grow space cut half diagonally (like 2 triangles out of a rectangle). I would be using 2 6inch inline fans at 240 cfms a piece, but still am skeptical about the heat issues that would still exist... anyone running a 400w HPS or MH ina space the parameters of mine? What kind of heat would i be expecting? First GJ soon!

Hmmmm.... slightly similar.
I have 2 250w in a closet. Going to be a bit taller, though alot of it is unused space. I had one fan running to exhaust with a passive intake uner the door which was fine for one 250. Ran about 80*F...
That second 250 bumped the temps up to 99 though, had to throw an exhaust up top and use my old exhaust as an intake.
I use two axial fans.... I want to say they are 180 to 200 cfm.... but I have had them for awhile.

Hey Ethan- long time no see.
I use 2- 400w MH and switch to 2- 360 HPS conversion bulbs for flower in a space that is actually a little smaller than yours, roughly 2.5' x 4' x 8'.
I grow in the basement. During the winter when the ambient temperature is around 60 deg F I need only 1 fan that I use as a passive intake and maintain a temperature in the grow box of mid to upper 70's. In the summer when the ambient temperature is around 70 deg F I need to use 2 fans- one for intake and 1 blowing directly on the lights. The temps stay in the mid 80's.
It's a pretty basic set up which relies more on air movement than the introduction of cooled air, yet it works for me.
So I guess it depends on the air temps you're dealing with in the space. If you do have a heat issue, perhaps you could move your ballast if it generates heat.
I think you're going to actually need more light unless I misunderstood the way you're dividing your space. Are you using 2 lights or only 1?
Good luck to you.

Good info everyone. I was either going to get a 400 watt hps w/ a mh conversion bulb or a 150 watt hps with 8 extra 42 watt cfls (5000 lumens a piece x 8= 40,000 lumens + 15000 from the hps = 55,000 or 400w HPS/MH = 50,000 but more intensity)

Ethan-2.6- said:
Good info everyone. I was either going to get a 400 watt hps w/ a mh conversion bulb or a 150 watt hps with 8 extra 42 watt cfls (5000 lumens a piece x 8= 40,000 lumens + 15000 from the hps = 55,000 or 400w HPS/MH = 50,000 but more intensity)

They dont make 42 watt cfl's that put out 5000 lumens, check your package your prob. talking kelvin.

Get The 400 HPS

Latest posts

Back