light question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highman

berry berry sneaky!
Reaction score
alright so in my vegg closet i have 2 types of lights. One being a cool tube 400 hps/mh digital ballast with an inline 6 inch fan. and the other is 2 125watt cfl in a very efficient homeade hood.

I was thinking about selling the 400 for $200 then buying 3 or 4 of the same 125watt cfls. My main reason for this would be to save on electricity and to keep heat down. I think with 3 or 4 of those 125 watters under a big hood it would create just as much heat?? and would'nt 500 watts of CFL use more electricity than a 400watt MH?

im unhappy with the distribution of light with the cool tube.. edit

imho i say totally forget the cfls..
besides stickin your seedlings, clones and mothers
under theyre a big waste of time...
what are the dimensions of your grow space?
figure out how big your room is.
my guess is with a 600w aircooled hps you would be happy.

yes.. 500 watts of cfls will use more energy than a 400 watt hps. In addition, you will loose lumens and intensity/penetration AND be producing a 'very' similar heat signature..:confused2:..
IMO.. you'd be down grading considerably, rather than..upgrading.

HELL I'LL TRADE YA CFLS EVEN UP FOR lol jk man. but yeah i'd keep ya hps. i been diein to get one already and still usin cfls myself an not that impressed wit the density of my buds last harvest wit cfls.

Hick said it!! That would be a big downgrade if you switch to cfl's. A hps system produces wayyy more lumens than your cfl's do and they have better penetration. Cfl's only penetrate like the first few inches of the canopy so the bottoms of your plants won't be recieving hardly any light. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Take care and be safe.

this is not for flowering everyone.. this is only for vegging

my flower room is dual 1000 watt hps. I am aware of the difference in lumens and light spectrum between the hps/mh/cfl. the space i need the cover is 2ft x 3.5 ft. so i quess the question is 400 watt mh, 3 125watt cfl's or 6-8 2' t5s??

highman said:
alright so in my vegg closet i have 2 types of lights. One being a cool tube 400 hps/mh digital ballast with an inline 6 inch fan. and the other is 2 125watt cfl in a very efficient homeade hood.

I was thinking about selling the 400 for $200 then buying 3 or 4 of the same 125watt cfls. My main reason for this would be to save on electricity and to keep heat down. I think with 3 or 4 of those 125 watters under a big hood it would create just as much heat?? and would'nt 500 watts of CFL use more electricity than a 400watt MH?

yes.. 500 watts of cfls will use more energy than a 400 watt hps. In addition, you will loose lumens and intensity/penetration AND be producing a 'very' similar heat signature..:confused2:..
IMO.. you'd be down grading considerably, rather than..upgrading.

YESSSSS

this is not for flowering everyone.. this is only for vegging

Yes, but he said veg...

Is it a true 125 watt or an equivalent 125 watt that's actually much less? The heat sig will be less with less power consumption if they are not true 125s. and just equivalents which is often the case. I love CFLs for veg and the an HPS for flower. Keep the HPS for flower regardless...more CFLs for veg if they are less... :p

How many lumens do the 125W CFLs put out? IMO, it is hard to beat T5s for vegging. They make a 54W 2' tube that puts out 5000 lumens. I am real partial to the T5s for vegging.

my cfl's are hydrofarm im am unsure if they are true 125watters but i can assure you they are dam bright and do not make much heat. I believe the lumen rating is right at 10,000 a bulb. I was shocked to hear you "hemp" say that you have a bulb that produces 5000 lumens....... WOW please share the source as i will be using only these from now on, also what is the kelvin rating for your 5000 lumen bulbs?

Latest posts

Back