Lighting up a cabinet. Questions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBlaze

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've got a cabinet [35'' tall, 30'' wide, 20'' deep] that I plan to use for SCROG.

The area that I keep the cabinet in is pretty cold. Even when I run a 400watt HPS temperatures barely reach 65 degrees.

My question is should I upgrade to a 600watt HPS? Or should I run 2X 250watters, with a different light spectrum in each lamp?

Thanks everyone :D

IMO if your looking to ahve lots of light and lumen go with the big one any of the choices will do the job for you. Id work on getting temps controled first though so you know that your working your garden the best before you start planting.

EDIT id also test the temps inside the cabinet before i dismiss that its too cold or hot as the air in there will be warmer than the air in the surrounding area.

I already have three growing, almost three weeks into flower. The conditions aren't severe.

By mentioning the lower temperature, I meant ventilation isn't a problem since a little more heat wouldn't be a bad thing.

well then if thats the case id say your good to grow. the 400 has about 50000 lumen to it and its in an area thats about 3.75sqft. that area calls for about 20000 lumen and you have better than 2.5 times that so your all set.

I know 400 is up to par for this task, but I'm getting 4 more of the cabinets so I can have a perpetual harvest and I'm looking at light options for the others.

I guess my main question about the 2X 250 setup with two light spectrums would be what kind of results would I be getting verses a 600watter with just one spectrum?

whos to say on that more light in a smaller space can make bigger buds and the dual spectrum will really make sure you have more blue for the vegging but IMO again its best to use straight HPS all the way through as it has all the spectrum the plants need for all stages of growth.

also get a more accurate reading on your temps. If its cold in that cabinet then you'll be able to keep the HPS closer to the plants. If the ambient temps only reach 65 it could be 70-75 directly under the lamp

So how cold does it get when the lights are off, 40? When my lights are on, 800 watts, in a 6x3 room, it gets over 90, and when the lights are off, it gets down to 60. What are your temps when your lights are off? Is your room outside with no source of heat?

iBlaze said:
Hey everyone. I've got a cabinet [35'' tall, 30'' wide, 20'' deep] that I plan to use for SCROG.

The area that I keep the cabinet in is pretty cold. Even when I run a 400watt HPS temperatures barely reach 65 degrees.

My question is should I upgrade to a 600watt HPS? Or should I run 2X 250watters, with a different light spectrum in each lamp?

Thanks everyone :D

Hey, you always use a small ceramic heater with a thermostat for now, won't cost much.... though a 600HPS is nice too, (mine just came and haven't used it yet)... but the more lumens the better, A 600HID is still not even in the ballpark to what the direct sun gives them. It's just the heat that you have to worry about so it's the temp at the top of the plant that's important..IMHO :cool:... I would add a 600 before (2) 250's...stronger light ....IMHO

Its in the garage. It gets down to about 60 when the lights are out but when the dryer is on the temperatures stay a bit warmer. Thanks guys.

iBlaze said:
Its in the garage. It gets down to about 60 when the lights are out but when the dryer is on the temperatures stay a bit warmer. Thanks guys.

Doesnt sound ideal, Really need to control your temps with a heater or somthing.

Growdude said:
Doesnt sound ideal, Really need to control your temps with a heater or somthing.

Maybe not ideal right now in the winter, but the plants I have now are growing fine. The conditions will be perfect in spring/summer/fall though.

And there's about a 10 degree drop from lights on temperature to lights off. Close enough to ideal for me.

Thats weird it only drops 10 degrees when the lights go out.

guys do you think a 400w hps that have i ft reflector can cover 6 mature plants in the closet ? or i need another one?

Latest posts

Back