Lights, smell.. i need info!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm seriously thinking about buying an HPS light for my basement to keep on growing during the winter. Although, i have a few problems... i'm looking at 150 watt HPS and 400 watt as well. I'm just worried ab out electricity costs. I'm running at 0.03 cents a KiloWatt. Also, i'm setting it up in a small corner in my basement, with a box, made of wood or whatever, painted white inside for better relection. My question is, how much will this smell? Will i need to keep a window open? My mother is a teacher... and she's afraid her reputation is in jeopardy because of this...

Can someone help me?

I'm planning on growing just one at a time. And in a room with a window, and a door. It's a room noone really goes in.

Dude, no one on this site is going to tell you how to secretly grow pot in your moms house. Wait until you move out and get your own place. By growing in that house you are putting your moms home, reputation, and her freedom in jeopardy.

no no, i'm not doing it secretly. She knows i'm going to be growing, she smokes as well :p

She told me she wants to make sure it doesn't smell A LOT! it can smell a little, but i don't want every room in the house to smell...

Fair enough then, so she knows the risks thats her choice then cool.

Ok then mate it sounds like you need to look at the basics to start with.
Check out the resource section ( near top of page ) and read through the grow guides or relative section to your needs.
Pretty much everythings in there it just a matter of looking.

How comes you joined in 2007 and still aint growin lol

How comes you joined in 2007 and still aint growin
i wondered same thing?
and tehre no way in hek i'd remember a login name and password for an account i aint been on in over 2 years. or even a year .

lol, i did grow summer of 2007 outdoors. I didn't grow last year because i was too busy with work and summer school and travelling...
And i didn't remember my login OR password :p i had to get it sent to my email account.

Lol cool, how did the outside girls go?

You want 5000 Lumens per sq ft min by the way, dunno if you know that, plenty of good info in the stickies in each section, heres one http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1968

So smell, Carbon Filter is the answer to that.
Havin a window is obviously usefull for fresh air you need to be carefull with the smell. Is the window just in the basement? or in the actual grow area?
If its in the basement then just seal up your grow space real good and have a dedicated and matching cfm rated intake and outtake and a carbon filter on the outtake.
That should be fine and allow for good circulation of fresh air with the window open.

Be aware that HPS gets very hot but if this is a winter solution it should be fine with a decent in/outtake set up but in warmer months you'll be needing an air cooled hood and another fan to cool it :D

Oh yeah and ya carn't really grow one at a time as you need to grow a few and then pic out the males to get a female.
You could try feminized seeds i guess, there be a good chance of getting a female off just one :) :evil:

Your mom does understand she will loose her job, her freeedom and possibly her home if things don't go perfectly, right?

Call me stodgy, but I would never do that to the only person in the world who is gonna love you no matter what happens to you or what you do or say.

Please talk all the down-sides over with Mom once more, will you?

Luck and peace.

Latest posts

Back