Male & Female Cannabis/Marijuana, Light cycle of plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

note4

Reaction score
Hi. Im a new grower. I've read & did some research but I couldn't find exactly the answers what I'm looking for. As I guess so far I've two male plants & two female plants. Male plants are taller & healthier more. I have read, in growing we should separate the male plant from the female plant to get best weed out of the plant. I've also read some peoples say you don't need to do as you can use male plants later to make hash (i'm not looking to make hash with my these babies). There must be peoples out here on this community forum who must have experience of growing for years and correct knowledge. What possibly worst can happen if you don't separate the male plants from female? Is it like if you don't separate them, weed from female plants would be totally not smokable(trash) oR what can be the worst result.? Even sometimes we all get seeds in the beg's we buy, weed out of those beg's not lame. (a certain thought)The weed from those beg's are females but the grower didn't separate the male & female, later he use male to produce hash? I've put so much effort so far, took so much care of my 4 babies, I don't want to kill the male plants just like that, they are in the early stage of flowering right now. About the light cycle, what will happen if you give 12 hours of light and 24 hours of dark night, the cycle of plant becomes faster to produce buds?(or if you* or someone* has did this, what was the result?) The plants is not going to be in stress for long long night & very short period of days. How fast you can grow weed from flowering stage I mean till harvesting, if you are not looking to have big yields? I've unfortunately about one month to go more, because of some bad *** situation i'll have to move somewhere. I don't want my plants to go waste(i'm not considering moving my plants, not possible) as till now i've spent time taking care of them, putting effort and money. What is the possible way I can go faster in growing? I'll really appreciate the sharing of correct knowledge and experience on my questions.
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Look I am a beginner too but there is no use for males other than for breeding purposes. You can not, I REPEAT YOU CAN NOT sex plants at all from height. Some strains grow tall and some grow out. Sativas grow near the equator around the world which means they have a lot longer growing cycle which means they grow taller because they can there flowers also take much longer to mature sometimes almost twice amount of time. Indicas how ever grow much shorter and bushier because they have a significantly shorter growing season so they put more production into a bushier shape. If you are growing indoors you do not want height in the vegging stage so if they are old enough and established enough and healthy enough you should consider topping your plants to maintain even growth. You want them to grow into a sphere like shape. I have heard that you can do 24 hours of dark then switch to 12/12 but never 24 hours of darkness then 12 hours of light. Just throw them away. No way to grow faster other than hydro just give them what they need and leave them alone. Do some research......I am and still am.......good luck

Sorry I meant to say just throw the males away after the 12 hours of light sentence if my previous comment

I forgot to mention the worst case scenario if males and female not separated......up to 90 percent seed to flower ration by weight I remember reading some where......probably like commercial brick weed where they grow fields of it and can't remove all the males unless in close proximity to each other than I would imagine massive seed growth

Thank you very much for the great knowledge. It was really great get to know about it. I still didn't get my answer like, you mean worst part is if you don't separate male and female so buds of female will have more seeds and less weed to smoke? I did mention my post that I'd like to give them time and grow naturally but unfortunately I've to pack up for somewhere. I'm sure I won't be moving my plants with me, just not throw them in trash what I can do to make it grow faster? I read what I mention about light cycle of 12 and 24, I'm thinking if I try for couple of days like 12hrs of light and 24hrs of darkness atleast i'll know what could happen. Nobody here have tried I guess. If use wind like fan, it will easy for male to pollinate female am I right?

Yes, the very worst is that you have bud full of seeds and almost no bud to smoke--this is not a small matter. In addition to there not being much bud, the bud quality is generally lower because the plant is spending its energy making seeds and not making THC.

Just because you find seed in a bag of weed, do not make the assumption that it was made "the old fashioned way"--by a male pollinating a female. More often it is a result of the plant hermying...and while they may be female, they have the hermy gene as a dominant gene and your chances of hermies are greatly increased.

I am not sure what or where you have been reading, but I believe that you have some misconceptions on cannabis and its life cycle. There is no way to speed up the flowering process. Screwing with light schedules like 12 hours of light and 24 hours of dark will not hurry things up at all--in fact, it could lengthen the flowering process as the plant is getting less light. A few strains will finish in as little as 7 weeks flowering, but most take 9-10 weeks. There is no way to speed it up. Plants taken early not only have little bud, but the bud doers not have mature trics and will not get you high. Pictures would help us a lot--give us an idea whether you should continue growing or just scrap it, since you only have a month to go. I can pretty much guarantee you that if they are just starting to flower, you will not have time to finish them.

Male plants are good for nothing except pollinating females. There is simply not enough THC to do anything with. Throw them away if you are certain about the sex. If you have not sexed plants before you might want to post pics to make sure that you have sexed them right.

Thank you for such information. I understand that you can not just make em grow fast but I want my plants not to go trash as I have came this much far. I may raise some useless questions because I have just started to grow, its my first grow. About the information of light cycle I read this on this forum(marijuangpassion) in some group.

I have separated my male and female plants, I put my males outside just don't want to kill em. One who grow indoors and move the plants outside in the flowering stage, is there any harm for plants if you move from indoor to outdoor or outdoor to indoor.?
I didn't prune plants or top or supercrop it. What I see now, is my plant is getting taller and taller & its very less bushy.
I'm attaching some pictures, let me know if anything can be done to make them more bushy so I can get more buds.

View attachment image (3).jpeg

View attachment image (7).jpeg

View attachment image (8).jpeg

View attachment photo.JPG

Dude kill the males....you can very easily take pollen from being around males into your females grow area. ......pollen sticks to things like clothing or something else then yoh bring it inside to your females......then you have a pollinated plants.... they are useless.....take people's advice....kill them......it's not worth anything.....it's like growing a weed just grow a weed unless your breeding......If your a flowering then I don't think you can top to make more buds you are stuck with what you got......I wouldn't prune anything just grow it as is and see what happens then apply what you learned from this grow to the next......PLEASE KILL YOUR MALES

I don't see any signs of sex yet, or at least the pictures don't show.

It looks as your plants are under lit, that's why they are growing tall and not bushy.

I agree with both of the above. First, I also see no sign of sex on those plants. They are not mature enough to show sex yet. There is absolutely no sure way to tell sex other than by seeing flowers or pre-flowers. The size of the plant, the bushiness, the health, etc, etc, don't mean anything. So at this point, you really do not know what your plants are. You have 4 unsexed plants. And until you see flowers or pre-flowers you will not know.

Second, when you do find the males, throw them away, they are no good. You absolutely will carry pollen from the males to the females. I know that it is hard to throw away plants, but males are good for nothing, can ruin the female crop and should be destroyed.

Be patient. When you start getting alternating nodes, that is the time to start looking for signs of sex. You will either see a little ball like thing on a kind of stalk on males. Females have 2 white hairs at the internodes. These are pre-flowers and generally come out before the plant is put into flowering.

It does look like you are under lit and they look a little hungry or deficient. How much light are you using? What are you feeding them? How big a grow space do you have?

uploading fig 2 again.
One thing more can cut those small pop corn leaves at the bottom. You can see in fig. 2 and 3
The ones in fig. 2 , I would cut off.

Latest posts

Back