Males: When to chop for pollen collection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st00ner

Reaction score
Well guys I have one male I selected for breeding and need to know what signs I should look for in a pollen sack that is ready....

they are ready to open there sacs around 4 to 5 weeks in most strains
When a male is starting to flower (2-4 weeks before the females) it should be removed from the females so it does not pollinate them

i have never collected pollen.a friend does the breeding thing and he places his male he want to collect from,on a big sheet of paper and collects the pollen from the paper when the pollen drops.he does not take much as my understanding from his,that the pollen can not be stored for a great period of time.all according to him as i am no breeder.

i think it can be kept fresh for a month after that it starts to decline ,,,,this is just what i have read ,,,have never tried collecting before ,,,but will be trying next grow :48:

sacs...huh,

A male that is ready has flowers not that different to a tomatoe or chilli plant at the begining of flowering.
The flowers are full of pollen as they open up gently tap'em and pollen should drop out like a fine mist

Got any pics of the male and what was the selection process?
Big and fast finishing males do stand out like dogs bollocks.
Until the male is ready to open it's flowers and release pollen you dont know how long i will take to finish.
Depends what you want to try and do the one that looks ready the earliest may not be the biggest yielder.
In my experience the earliest does not usually create the best progeny. Although if your trying to bring down the flower time it may be suitable
dependent on many characteristics.

UKgirl420 said:
i think it can be kept fresh for a month after that it starts to decline ,,,,this is just what i have read ,,,have never tried collecting before ,,,but will be trying next grow :48:

Ive used pollen as old as 6months and will soon be attenmpting to use some blockhead (purple male) that is now 13 months old, looks ok. good airtight containers and dessicant is the key.
I remember Neville telling me recently that when he was doing his Haze thing he regularly used pollen more than 12 months old

Latest posts

Back