Massproducer's Coco buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im still temping...but will have to wait untill next Fall...but am enjoying the thread very much..

massproducer said:
by the looks of things as long as you lighting can support them, then yes a couple of oz per, is definiately in reach... a little advice, be prepared for the stretch because you are going to have some monsters on your hands. As you said, be prepared for some heavy bondage, but wow I am very impressed.

So in your first week, what is your overall feeling of my bucket design?

im running 600w digital, & watering after res & coco have been filled with approx. 1 gal i now add 6 cups to 1/2 gal every 3 days.

I am going to do the same thing you guys are doing starting this wednesday; utility people coming this week to do an install :rant: that my beautiful wife just had to have :p ;) but I am going to try re-vegetating using this method. I was talking with my local hydroponic dealer and he raves over using cocoa. According to him you should have no problems re-vegetating a plant in 5 gallon buckets for a good year or more. He said the cocoa takes so long to break down and it can support plant life for much longer than a bucket of soil.

hey mass! have a ? for you. seeing that i put plants w/ 1 gal root ball into a 2.5gal bucket & the soil around root ball is pro mix bx do i need to worry about root rot still? reason i ask is coco is still moist 1/2-1" from surface & soil around root ball is going to be even more moist. my res has lil water in it, but would like to top off. i thought of 2 possible remedies if rot is a concern. 1 would be to painstakingly gently water outter perimeter to avoid pro mix. 2 would be to fill res through 1/2" hole with a funnel. thanks for the apprenticeship.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal Doc, because promix has pretty good aeration and although the coco feels somewhat moist i can bet that it is holding a lot of oxygen, the best way to fight root rot is by providing oxygen. Also as long as you are feeding the microbes they will fight off rot as well.

Basically just look for any signs of overwatering and deal with it accordingly if it appears but root rot will not be the first sign

Hadn't had the chance to really stop by lately...But that mendos Purp is just beautiful Mass , truly...It's almost an exotic looking plant really...So whats your secret to getting the leaves to have such a change in color , temps.??? Anyway, wish i would've come by sooner, that girl just made my day :) ...Keep it Up Mass, keep it GREEN...

massproducer said:
by the way...Doc and I are still looking for converts ;) :hubba:

I'm in week 6 (of 12) in my current grow. I will be using this method for the next grow, in about 6 weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, by the way!

Hey, Mass, I just ordered some coco. I was wondering if it works well as just an additive to soil. From what i've read it doesn't compact like soil so it provides more air to the roots. Would you recommend using it stand alone or would it work just as good as an additive? Thanks:D!

yeah it is great as an additive, but if you have enough I think it works even better as a stand alone alternative to soil and peat. It hold much more air, and because of its benefical properties, i think you will love coco by itself. The one problem is that you kind of have to water it everyday and treat it more like hydro then soil, but it is good because with coco their is never any problems with rewetting, like in soil and peat.

mass whats happenin'? been having an issue past couple days & cant diagnos myself. upper leaves look like been exposed to too much heat but not the case. tested w/ 2 other thermometers & 2" above canopy is 80* @ highest. leaves are "praying" w/ tips curling down. like combo of heat & over/under water. couple leaves are remaining "fresh" green appearance as if they just started poppin', but are lil' smaller than my hand (cant get good pic). cant figure out. two waters ago was 10/2 1/2 strength nutes f.f. filled til slight overflow. next water 10/6 cause symptoms started showing of overwater from the 2nd thats why waited 4 days. that feeding did molasses water @ 2 tbls/gal. today mixed up & aerating 4 tomorrow 1/2 strength wk 2 flower f.f. nutes, molasses, 1/4 tsp epsom/gal, lil superthrive. thinking might be cal/mag def, but not really sure. well heres some pics. oh yeah roots are trying to jump out of buckets! this **** is crazy! thanks again for sharing all your hard work w/ us, much appreciated. maybe im over reacting but its not heat or overwatering. so this is why im questioning. dont know if ill do another "white strain" as they say sensitive to nutes. 1/2 dose nutes is all shell take. she ever so gently shows nute burn on tips. as long as it stays where its at shes taking up max nutes.

DSCN1115.JPG

DSCN1116.JPG

DSCN1117.JPG

DSCN1118.JPG

DSCN1119.JPG

DSCN1120.JPG

DSCN1121.JPG

DSCN1122.JPG

DSCN1123.JPG

Thanks Lyfr...you got your self some beauts there

Doc, I would say that overall your plants look wonderful, I would actually say that you may have a tad bit of underwatering based on the slight wrinkle on the leaves, but this is no problem at all. There may also be a bit of nute burn starting to happen, but once again this is no problem whatsoever, if it just stayed in the tips. Try watering every 3 days and just give some dechlorinated water with a bit of molasses. I like to kind of flush em out every week or so, but just giving them a feeding of plain water and molasses, to make sure that the salt levels aren't adding up, and to ensure that the coco is properly releasing the nutes in the correct amounts.

But your have nothing to worry about, because trust me, ALOT of people would love to see those in their grow room, when they opened the door, me included. Plus you will start to get a feel for the coco and how it works, so that you can totally talior to providing what the plants need, from what I can see it looks like you are starting to get that feel already. But yeah i think everythings fine

Actually Doc, it could all be from slightly underwatering, because as the leaves usually on top loose water, the amount of nutes gets more concentrated within the leaves which can easily burn them if the water is not replace with the leaves cells within a given time.

Meaning basically slightly underwatering can cause your leaves to look and feel shirvilled, and cause slightly burnt leaves

thanks & yeah they can only tolerate 1/2 nutes & are staying stable w/ thier slight burn. i thought might b over reacting but wanted to be sure cause had rough 1st grow & want the best 4 my girls. my water schedule is nutes, water w/ molasses, then water. sound ok? oh yeah i use ro only.

I didn't even realize i was supposed to be given them nutes too! I been giving em plain water/mollasses wtater every other time. another confirmation...my 2 coco buckets were the only thing i had that tested 6.5 ph...FFOF's were about 7-7.2 and the 50/50 FFof/coco's are sittin about 6.8. thats the coco keepin the ph down right:confused:

lyfr said:
I didn't even realize i was supposed to be given them nutes too! I been giving em plain water/mollasses wtater every other time. another confirmation...my 2 coco buckets were the only thing i had that tested 6.5 ph...FFOF's were about 7-7.2 and the 50/50 FFof/coco's are sittin about 6.8. thats the coco keepin the ph down right:confused:
so you been growing ur biggest plant in coco/perlite mix in layers w/o nutes 4 how long? no organics @ all? thats amazing! coco must be the wonder drug!lol:hubba:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back