MJ joke-banner kid's suspension upheld

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MergeLeft

I feel better already!
Reaction score
FYI, this kid was NOT on school property- he was across the street & it was a public event. So, if your kid borrows your Bob Marley T-shirt & his principal sees him at the mall, he could theoretically be suspended.

Justice Stevens deserves a medal for what he said at the end of this about debating the war on drugs & medicinal mj.

Court Tightens Limits on Student Speech
By Charles Lane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 25, 2007; 12:38 PM

The Supreme Court affirmed wide authority for school administrators to regulate students' speech today, allowing principals to punish pupils who make any in-school speech or demonstration that may "reasonably be viewed" as promoting illegal drug use.
The finding came in a case in which a Juneau public high school teacher gave Joseph Frederick a 10-day suspension for unfurling a banner reading "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" as the school was gathering outside to watch the Olympic Torch Relay pass in 2002. Joseph, who has since graduated, sued the suspension was a violation of his constitutional right to free speech.
Though the Banner's message was admittedly ambiguous, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote for the court majority that the school's principal, Deborah Morse, was not wrong to conclude that it promoted the use of an illegal substance, which was contrary to the Juneau school system's policy.
The dangers of illegal drug use are "serious," Roberts wrote, and the "First Amendment does not require schools to tolerate at school events student expression that contributes to those dangers," Roberts wrote.
Roberts' opinion was joined fully by Justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony M. Kennedy, Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr. Justice Stephen G. Breyer agreed with the majority that Morse should not be liable, but disagreed with its reasoning.
Justice John Paul Stevens, joined by Justices David H. Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, dissented.
Stevens wrote that Frederick had raised a "nonsense banner," which advocated nothing, legal or illegal, and that the court's opinion could be read to permit broad censorship.
"[T]he court's ham-handed, categorical approach is deaf to the constitutional imperative to permit unfettered debate, even among high-school students, about the wisdom of the war on drugs or of legalizing marijuana for medicinal use," Stevens wrote.
The case is Morse v. Frederick, No. 06-278.

Welcome to the home fo the free and the land of brave..."free politicians and brave police" forget our rights. period.
Martial Law is coming......
MergeLeft said:
FYI, this kid was NOT on school property- he was across the street & it was a public event. So, if your kid borrows your Bob Marley T-shirt & his principal sees him at the mall, he could theoretically be suspended.

Justice Stevens deserves a medal for what he said at the end of this about debating the war on drugs & medicinal mj.

Court Tightens Limits on Student Speech
By Charles Lane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 25, 2007; 12:38 PM

The Supreme Court affirmed wide authority for school administrators to regulate students' speech today, allowing principals to punish pupils who make any in-school speech or demonstration that may "reasonably be viewed" as promoting illegal drug use.
The finding came in a case in which a Juneau public high school teacher gave Joseph Frederick a 10-day suspension for unfurling a banner reading "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" as the school was gathering outside to watch the Olympic Torch Relay pass in 2002. Joseph, who has since graduated, sued the suspension was a violation of his constitutional right to free speech.
Though the Banner's message was admittedly ambiguous, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote for the court majority that the school's principal, Deborah Morse, was not wrong to conclude that it promoted the use of an illegal substance, which was contrary to the Juneau school system's policy.
The dangers of illegal drug use are "serious," Roberts wrote, and the "First Amendment does not require schools to tolerate at school events student expression that contributes to those dangers," Roberts wrote.
Roberts' opinion was joined fully by Justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony M. Kennedy, Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr. Justice Stephen G. Breyer agreed with the majority that Morse should not be liable, but disagreed with its reasoning.
Justice John Paul Stevens, joined by Justices David H. Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, dissented.
Stevens wrote that Frederick had raised a "nonsense banner," which advocated nothing, legal or illegal, and that the court's opinion could be read to permit broad censorship.
"[T]he court's ham-handed, categorical approach is deaf to the constitutional imperative to permit unfettered debate, even among high-school students, about the wisdom of the war on drugs or of legalizing marijuana for medicinal use," Stevens wrote.
The case is Morse v. Frederick, No. 06-278.

preach reverend Mutt...............

The greatest right one has in the US is to stand up for right.

Problem is, nobody wants to recieve an earful anymore. So instead of doing things the RIGHT way, they supress or pass laws against those who speak or act out. Large Corps and Politicians, (the mere weak puppets who will do anthing for self gratification) run the country.

****, i went into Raley's a couple days ago and they had celebration balloons all over and signs posted. I asked what was with all the signs and balloons?????

Answer from Raleys checker, "We are celebrating summer, and in recognition we have provided the month long IN STORE FARMERS MARKET!"

My response, "Wow......that is incredible! I can't believe it! This store is offering fresh produce direct from the local farmers to be sold here?"

Raleys cashier giggles, "Uh....no....we just take the produce from over there out of the produce dept."

There's 1 person ahead of me in line and 3 behind. I say, "Thats a fraud and false advertising. Don't you know the term farmers market implies fresh food direct from the person whom cultivated it? Don't you care.

Raleys employee, "uh, i didn't put the signs up."

Everyone behind me is smiling. I finish paying and leave pissed. I don't know if they were smiling cuz i brought somethin to their attention and they were happy to see someone actually voice a contradicting opinion, or smiling cuz she didn't give a ****.

eveyone should give a ****. Don't contribute to the downward spiral. YOUR VOICE MATTERS, NOT YOUR VOTE.....BE HEARD

Latest posts

Back