Molasses in your nutes...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Six

Perfect smile..chronic...
Reaction score
Has anyone every used Blackstrap Molasses or sugar in there nute solution to augment bud growth? I've been reading some articles on this, from what i understand it stimulates the micro-organisms in the soil which in turn increase nute uptake to the plants...i recently tried this in 2 of my girls and now my soil appears to have a very dark fuzz growing in it...didnt read that part anywhere....i mean it makes sense that increased microbials would make the soil look like this but it has me a little worried at this point....the girls seem real happy with it though so im not sure what to think....anybody?

r u talking about the perilite turning burn and stuff?... if so, mine does that too... I use molassis a couple times during flower too... 'n I grow in soilless tri-mix (promix hp and/or sunshine mix #4), so I just turn the top layer over and it returns to normal.... :cool:

Six said:
Has anyone every used Blackstrap Molasses or sugar in there nute solution to augment bud growth?
...i recently tried this in 2 of my girls and now my soil appears to have a very dark fuzz growing in it...
How much did you use, in how much solution?

StoneyBud said:
How much did you use, in how much solution?

Just a tbsp in a gallon, mixed with a 2-15-15 and a bayer aspirin, ph balanced to 5.5 cuz my soil is sittin at 7 right now...brought the soil to 6.23....i sprayed the top with a anti-fungle and lightly tilled it in, will see if its back tomorrow...

That crazy vancouver guy said:
r u talking about the perilite turning burn and stuff?... if so, mine does that too... I use molassis a couple times during flower too... 'n I grow in soilless tri-mix (promix hp and/or sunshine mix #4), so I just turn the top layer over and it returns to normal.... :cool:

Nope, the soil actually grew a grayish black fuzz on it...it doesnt appear to be mold but its only been one day...did it make a difference in your grow? This mix im using this time is mostly soil with about 20% perlite....its a little richer than i expected, kinda stunted root growth....

Hi,

I've been growing organic for a while and I've been using a tea recipe I got a few years back from the "Magical Molasses" thread that's always worked great for me. You use 1-2 TB/gal of bloom bat guano and 1 TB/gal of molasses. All you have to do is either aerate the mixture with an airstone for 24 hours in a container or you can put it in a container with a lid and agitate and shake the container periodically for the 24 hour period. Feed it to your girls and they'll love it... I usually give them this tea twice during the bloom cycle... at week 3 and week 6...

Peace!

Six said:
Has anyone every used Blackstrap Molasses or sugar in there nute solution to augment bud growth? I've been reading some articles on this, from what i understand it stimulates the micro-organisms in the soil which in turn increase nute uptake to the plants...i recently tried this in 2 of my girls and now my soil appears to have a very dark fuzz growing in it...didnt read that part anywhere....i mean it makes sense that increased microbials would make the soil look like this but it has me a little worried at this point....the girls seem real happy with it though so im not sure what to think....anybody?

Molassas, cursing, LEDs--easy, big guys, easy.;)

Six said:
Nope, the soil actually grew a grayish black fuzz on it...it doesnt appear to be mold but its only been one day...did it make a difference in your grow? This mix im using this time is mostly soil with about 20% perlite....its a little richer than i expected, kinda stunted root growth....

grey fuzz sounds like mold!:eek:

That was my first thought too...tilled the top under and it never came back...molasses increases the microbials in the soil, helps the plant use the nutes...I use it every time i feed now with a good waterin in between feedings...the girls like it...

Six said:

I give Grandmas molasis and have never had this fuzz growing. I mix 1 gallon WARM water with 1 tablespoon molasis and FF grow big nutes.

so if u dont mind me asking when do u guys start to use it???

I know I kid around a lot about the Molasses thing. I have a lot of fun doing it and I think others enjoy my antics.

However, there is a lot of information out there about testing of this practice.

Here's a good one:

hXXp//:www.harc-hspa.com/Publications/VEG3.pdf

The mix that is discussed for this project is 3 gallons of Molasses per/55 gallons of water for a one time delivery in dirt. After that point, the top spray was watered in.

There are crops that have been tested with no benefit from the Molasses. As far as I know, no testing has been done with Marijuana except on the home-grown level.

Basically, I'm a hydro man. I'll keep my Molasses on my waffles and pancakes over some butter. :D

In regards to the conversion of the amounts in my last post:

1 US gallon = 3785.41178 ml

3 gallons per/55 gallons is 11356.23534ml of molasses per/55 gallons of water.

11356.23534/55 = 206.5ml per/gallon of water.

5 ml = one teaspoon

206.5/5 = 41.3 teaspoons of molasses per/gallon of water.

This is the amount used in the tests I referenced.

Notice that the test was on an outside crop with a one time application followed by natural rainfall.

Someone check my math. That sure seems like one hell of a lot of Molasses.

Most use molasses in teas to feed microorginisms(?) that are good for the soil, by breaking down the nutes to more usable forms that the plants can use. Here is a link to a conpost tea by thehxxp://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/RECYCLE/Tea/tea1.htm

I have been using it for years and I love it. My compost piles heat up better and the worms flock to them. I spray it on the leaves with a pump sprayer and also put it on the soil mixed 1 TBS. per gallon of water. Google molasses tea and decide for yourselves. It's not "snake oil" For a simple test, take a pic before spraying it on. Wait a couple hours and take another. Compare. My money is on the leaves all doing the "happy dance" in the second pic.

StoneyBud said:
Someone check my math. That sure seems like one hell of a lot of Molasses.

need a BIG griddle to make that many pancakes. Stoney
and a few waffle irons.

AlbinoDanko12GA said:
so if u dont mind me asking when do u guys start to use it???

I wait until the girls get a good root system, usually the last week of veg and then through flowering is when i use it...but only when i feed...then i use just PH balanced water in between feedings to flush anything extra out....blackstrap seems to have the most beneficial stuff in it....i grow in soil by the way, just to be clear, i have no experience in hydro...

I use molasses quite a bit especially in the last 2 weeks of flowering when the plants are being flushed.

Among other things it's full of carbs, i like to think of it as a very cheap alternative to carboload, sweet or any of those bloom enhancer's.

GMT said:
I use molasses quite a bit especially in the last 2 weeks of flowering when the plants are being flushed.
ARGGGGGG! Molasses and Flushing in the same sentence!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I can't take it!

Hand me my sword! Here's my poem! I'm a goner!

EH???

me no speakie!!
Stoney that sailed right over my head and comprehension...but it is 3am and the beer and kind weed have taken effect.

GMT runs to find the universal translator....trips over dogs and has a silly grin on his face

Latest posts

Back