Monkey Business!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchick832

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Ballpark Frank commercial where the guy is sitting in a park and a hand comes out of his stomach, releases a monkey, and the monkey steals a hot dog from the guy on the other bench and the monkey brings it back?

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT KIND OF MONKEY THAT IS??

I was thinking spider monkey, but I don't think I'm right on that one. In any case, I want one!!!! He's too cute!!! I already have a menagerie in my house... why not add a mokey? I might be able to train it to pick up after the kids! :hubba: LOL!

~Metalchick

It was deffinately NOT a spider monkey. I think it was one of those monkey that name stars with a CHI. Not sure what it is though.

Chimpanzee might not be spelt right is that what your talking about?

no i don't think it was a chimp, he's the same kinda monkey that was in the movie with that lil girl that always stole stuff... uhhh uhhh.. i know a capuchin

Don't get that commercial here, but if it's the same type of monkey as in Indiana Jones it's a Cappucian.

No. It deffinately wasn't a chimp. It was a cap. And the monkey in that movie (Monkey trouble, if it's the one I'm thinkin of, where she took the monkey from an organ grider) was a spider monkey. :p

The monkey in the movie Monkey Trouble is a tufted capuchin monkey. Spider monkeys are much larger, and are called such because they have very long arms and legs which make them resemble a spider. Capuchin monkeys are usually the monkey used in entertainment because they are the easier of the smaller primate species to train, and have a more even temperament. There was also a white-faced capuchin, Marcel, on the show "Friends." I don't think I have ever seen a spider monkey used in the entertainment industry, other than live educational shows. They get pretty big.

dunno what it was.. all i can say, is please please don't get one.
it's a wild animal, let it remain wild. i'm totally against people who get monkeys or something like a tiger for a pet.. it's so sad. (i hate even seeing them in zoo's. they look so miserable. taken from their home in the wild for our amusement.. pathetic IMO)
even if you see it in a petshop, pass it by. don't support the idiots who take wild creatures out of their habitat to sell.

i saw some loser on cribs once, i wanted to jump thorugh the tv and punch him out. "yeah most people have pitbulls.. i got a tiger" idiot had it on like maybe 10 feet of chain in his back yard, and i bet the only attention it got was when he wanted to be cool and show it off..
wow what a life for it.

sorry for the rant, i doubt you'd get one, but your "i want one" set me off.

kaotik said:
dunno what it was.. all i can say, is please please don't get one.
it's a wild animal, let it remain wild. i'm totally against people who get monkeys or something like a tiger for a pet.. it's so sad. (i hate even seeing them in zoo's. they look so miserable. taken from their home in the wild for our amusement.. pathetic IMO)
even if you see it in a petshop, pass it by. don't support the idiots who take wild creatures out of their habitat to sell.

i saw some loser on cribs once, i wanted to jump thorugh the tv and punch him out. "yeah most people have pitbulls.. i got a tiger" idiot had it on like maybe 10 feet of chain in his back yard, and i bet the only attention it got was when he wanted to be cool and show it off..
wow what a life for it.
sorry for the rant, i doubt you'd get one, but your "i want one" set me off.
_____
There is a BIG misconception about primates kept as pets in the US. Since 1975, Federal import regulations PROHIBIT the import of primates for use as pets. They can only be imported for "bona-fide educational, zoological, or research purposes." One can't even re-import a pet primate originating here. So they are NOT taken from the wild. The are bred here in captivity. The BIGGEST threat to primate species, and other animals as well, are HABITAT ENCROACHMENT, and POACHING. Research facilities in the US are the bigest importers of monkeys. I would NEVER take an animals out of its habitat.

I have 2 pet squirrel monkeys who are the light of my life, AND are very well cared for. They are very happy monkeys. My mother-in-law also has 3 capuchins. Her enclosure would rival that of most zoos. Animal rights groups put into people's heads that all pet monkeys are in horrible situations, or turn aggressive as adults. That is simply NOT true. Are there some bad owners, sure. But most owners care wonderfully for their pets. In every species of animal, dog, cat, snake, bird... there will always be irresponsible people.

The care animals are provided in zoos is different than that in a home environment. If it is a second rate zoo you visited you may be right. Primates need enrichment, and companionship. The animals in many zoos are there because they bring people in to turn a profit. Enrichment for their animals is probably last on their list. Private owners don't have the politics that zoos have, and don't have them for profit, but companionship. Pet owners can go out and buy that enrichment item without needing permission from their boss first. We are constantly looking for new toys, and activities to enrich their lives.

I am speaking here of monkeys, not apes, such as chimpanzees. These are VERY strong animals...but their cost alone of $60,000 makes the prohibitive in itself. Most states mans apes as pet anyway.

So before condemning owners of exotics, namely primates in this case, do a little research first as to where they truly come from.

that's nice to think eileen, and i don't doubt you take care of your pets. (it sounds like you, and your aunt are a very responsible owners. and i'm happy to hear that.)
it's just one thing (of many ;) ) i am really against.

because not all are bred in captivity. there may be laws that prohibit importing animals.. but there are laws that prohibit marijuana use too ;) everyone listens to the rules eh? (not comparing the two, just saying)

illegal animal trading is still a problem (big problem in many places of the world) besides, where did those ones in captivity come from? probably traded illegally in the 90's when this was a huge problem.

you sound like you get them from respectable people who know they were not traded illegally. but many others don't.. and when i see someone say "i want one" i'm thinking they don't know where to go, and will end up supporting the illegal trading.

i don't deny we're screwing them up by raping their habitat, poisoning their air, or killing them for only one small part (bear gull bladder, elephant tusks, etc).. i just think with all the crap we do to the creatures of this world, they don't need us taking them from their homes for our own amusement too.

breeding monkeys for sale HERE, is just as bad as taking them from THERE.
exotic pets do not make you exotic

it dont matter how big or nice the cage is, human contact and lack of freedom changes an animals mannerisms. The way they eat, converse, temperment etc.. Monkeys are not native to North America.
Taking a wild animal and breeding the "wild" out of it f___s up the species.
These new monkeys have little chance of living without human aid.

canibanol cannonball said:
it dont matter how big or nice the cage is, human contact and lack of freedom changes an animals mannerisms. The way they eat, converse, temperment etc.. Monkeys are not native to North America.
Taking a wild animal and breeding the "wild" out of it f___s up the species.
These new monkeys have little chance of living without human aid.

Its is the same with dogs, cats, and any other animals bred in captivity.They can't live without human aid either. Either way, monkeys are tamed in captivity, but we are not breeding the wild out of them. They still have their "wild" mannerisms, but along with that are able to associate with people. I believe the main difference between captive & wild monkeys is that they would not know what foods could cause potential hazard, and would be less aggressive than their wild counterparts, increasing the risk of getting hurt. Pet monkeys still groom, have hierarchies with in the family, have a troop leader, and even my squirrels still do their little leg lift dominance display/greeting when they see someone new.

As for Kaotic's reply- I totally agree that laws don't work 100%, but they do help. What I think we need is better enforcement of those laws, not new ones. What is the point in making a new law (say a ban), if no one is going to be there to make sure its followed through? Instead of making a ban why not enforce current import laws. Either way, I don't think smuggling monkeys happens often in the US because there are many breeders, and importing a live animal isn't that easy. They move, make noise, etc. It isn't as easy as planting a seed in your yard or room and letting it grow. Weed can be grown here, or seeds smuggled in much easier than a live animal. It is much easier to break the law and not get caught with weed, than animals. In the case of the US import has been banned for 30 years. Allowing captive breeding here in the US would preserve the species (perhaps not all its survival instincts but the species), and puts less pressure on wild populations because we don't need to by them illegally from outside the US. What are we to do with those already in captivity here in the US? Fix them so they can't reproduce, and allow them to die off? Why not allow them to continue bearing offspring, and allowing those who have the dedication and experience, be zoo or private owner, maintain viable species alive? I would like to note for those who believe that private owners are clueless, that most of the major studies, improvements or what not regarding primates, were not made by scientists, but rather regular people who took interest and pride in caring for their animals, and lived with them in close proximity. The founder of the Yerkes institute (1920's) actually went to study the home of a woman who kept apes as pets, and she, Rosalia Abreu, formed the foundation of captive primate husbandry upon which other scientist built upon. Not much has changed since, other than the public PERCEPTION of private owners, I think in large part due to the Animal rights movement. Every once in a while I will read a new study by some primate researcher, where if they took one moment to ask a private owner, they could have told them. But they choose to ignore their roots, and take the long way to figure it out.

Many of the countries that primates are native to have very passive laws, if any, against poaching. Here in the US we know that there are certain protected species we can't touch. If we do we get jail time, and heavy fines. People understand, appreciate them, and for the most part let them be. In most third world countries, where these animals are native, that is not the case. . I would 100% support efforts to conserve them in the wild. And do believe that those countries of which they are native should amp up penalties for illegal poaching. Unfortunately, animals aren't their top priority. Money is. But we can't blame the problems in other countries on Americans who's laws prohibit it. Yes 30 years they were taken from the wild, but that has since changed.

i'm not ashamed to admit your knowledge of primates as pets is obviously vastly superior to mine.
i just wish i could find a clip of that idiot on cribs with the tiger, because that is the stuff i really hate. and that is what comes to my mind when people want exotic pets. ones who do nothing for the animal, and only want it/have it as a "i'm so cool, look at me" kinda thing, ya know?

i guess it's the same as anything eh?
just like how pitbulls get a bad rep when they're actually a very loving breed, and it's the irresposible owner who's at fault.
i've not seen many with elaborate stuff like your aunt has. i see a lot of the ones who do nothing (or bare minimum) though. so that is what first comes to my mind, and that's mostly why i don't like the idea of exotic pets.

kaotik said:
i'm not ashamed to admit your knowledge of primates as pets is obviously vastly superior to mine.
i just wish i could find a clip of that idiot on cribs with the tiger, because that is the stuff i really hate. and that is what comes to my mind when people want exotic pets. ones who do nothing for the animal, and only want it/have it as a "i'm so cool, look at me" kinda thing, ya know?

i guess it's the same as anything eh?
just like how pitbulls get a bad rep when they're actually a very loving breed, and it's the irresposible owner who's at fault.
i've not seen many with elaborate stuff like your aunt has. i see a lot of the ones who do nothing (or bare minimum) though. so that is what first comes to my mind, and that's mostly why i don't like the idea of exotic pets.

As a responsible owner, trust me I am the FIRST to be upset by that. It is irresponsible owners such as those that make the rest look bad. I don't condone that type of behavior either, and I don't think that a tiger (or other animal with a potential to cause human harm) be allowed to be kept as a pet unless there are proper permits in place, caging requirements met for both safety of the public & the animal, AND experience... especially in the case of large carnivores. That schmuck on TV, which I would have liked to punch and scold thoroughly too, should not have had it just as a "status symbol." And you are right there are irresponsible owners for ALL pets, not just exotics. I would say that most people who get exotics do care for them. The reason you don't see it is because the media doesn't find exotics in loving homes newsworthy. I was interviewed by a reporter once on my monkeys. Nothing I said made it to print. She chose to focus on the one owner who cared for the animal but raised it as a surrogate. I could give you a list of at least 20 primate owners who care wonderfully for their animals. But they will never make the news. When was the last time you saw an article on a responsible pit bull owner? Probably never, yet most pit bulls are very well taken care of friendly dogs.

Latest posts

Back