Multiplicity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot Jansen

Reaction score
So I took 6 clones from a plant that was destined to die from heat stress. My closet is small, and I have a heater in there and it decided to get warm outside during Christmas break, affecting my basement temp and damn near killing my plant in veg. SO. 6 clones, 4 survived, kept the best looking 2. Only one is doing about normal, the other isn't growing nearly as fast. What are some determining factors that could have caused this. Their environment, and food regimens were exactly the same, from clone to present. Is this a example of why you shouldn't clone from dying plants, and if so will this clone carry on this slower growth rate trait through her clones.

Cloning has lots of subtleties to it, and it sounds like you're experiencing one of them. When you take clones from different parts of the plant, they display different amounts of vigor in their rooting and growing. I believe that clones will grow slower if taken from the bottom of the plant (could be the reverse though, I can't remember which way is which). Yes, these traits can be carried on if not careful in your clone selection, so I would just flower the runt clone and use the other as your new mother.

Cool Thanks... I always clone from the bottom of the plant because they don't produce as much usually, but it seems like a catch 22 situation. Clone from the top branches lose yield, get faster results, lower branches you save branches closer to light source but slower veg growth..

Another quickie: I use household water that I let sit for days to evaporate any ammonia and chlorine. But I have been keeping the water in jugs that I have previously kept nutrient solution in. I took a clone prolly 2 days ago, and it's not yellowing or doing things that clones from the same plant normally do.. Could it be that the water is containing enough sustance for the clone to absorb and survive, and will this affect the rooting process. (I dipped in IBA) I thought that the (possible) nutrient residue would have been so diluted by 2 gallons of water in my cloner that it wouldn't make a difference..

Latest posts

Back