My babies are sick...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doob-Meister

Reaction score
This is my first grow. AK47 seeds. I'm using a hydro/bubbler system with GH flora nutes at 1/3 strength. Light is a 400W HPS which is on 24/7. PH is checked everyday and is kept between 5.6 and 6.1. TDS is today was 735 ppm.

There's a fan on low 24/7 - and the light is 24" above the plants.

What could be causing this leaf curling? Growth rate is strong - but this leaf curling is freaking me out.

Help!

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Ok, as a fellow AK47 grower I'll chip in.

Just a little more details, tell me your ppm on water only (you subtract that from your nute mix to get a true PPM reading).

For example; I run with a water only of less than 50 (unreadable). My nute mix (which is different) I run starting at 250 ppm and at the max of flower will hit 500-750. Veg I'm never above 500.

Those leaves look like a worse version of overnuting I talked about in my AK47 thread (page 1). I showed pics of nice plump leaves and how they dry, then curl, just like that when overnuted.

I'd say dial it down a bunch and see what happens. Your plant is too young for that str, regardless if it's 1/3 of what the bottle recommends. Give it 72 hours to see if the change was beneficial as the plant has to work out all that crud first (sometimes longer if it was severe).

How does the plant respond to lower nutes? Check out my pics bro. Same strain.

Trillions of atoms: I respectfully disagree. I have had the humid down to undetectable and the plant will still do well if she's internally hydrated. The two places I've seen drying are leaves too close to the light and overnuting (or high osm from any cause).

hi doob am i right in thinking the pictures are both the same leaf........

if so.............

imho id say underwatered and need some now............

pkj

The TDS on my water out of the tap is 175 - PH of 7.4. I just changes the nutes. In my 15 gal. bubbler tub I put in the following:

3 oz. Flora Green
2.oz. Flora Brown
1 oz Flora Red
6 tablespoons of PH down to bring the PH to 5.9

After all of this, TDS of 725.

Any thoughts?

Also, what should the water level in the bubbler be relative to the bottom of the pots? Right now - the mixture described above brings the water level right to the bottom of the 6" pot. By the way - both of these plants have HUGE root growths.

parkingjoe said:
hi doob am i right in thinking the pictures are both the same leaf........

if so.............

imho id say underwatered and need some now............

pkj

Underwatered? In a DWC?:p Just funning at was obviously an honest mistake PJ. ;)

I agree with Zarnon, humidity will not affect a plant like that...not a hydro guy, but sure looks like burn...

Does that flora stuff cover your micros and traces? Sorry...not too familiar with it.

If I may chime in here.
Low RH can cause that type of leaf curl. The leaves roll up on themselves trying to prevent the loss of moisture through transpiration. If it were an overnute problem I would expect the leaf tips to show signs of a burn long before any curling took place. I didn't see any signs of nute burn.
When I use the GH 3 part series, my ppms were about 750 towards the end of veg, and 1000-1200 towards the end of flower.
Check your RH Doob.
Elephant - the flora brown as he calls it is the micro nutes in the 3 part GH.

Just to eliminate lockout.....

The way you need to mix your nutes is in a seperate container.

Measure them exactly using something marked with ml.

YOU HAVE TO MIX THE MICRO INTO THE WATER FIRST, then rinse the measuring device.

If you've done anything else, it's caused lockout of the available nutes.

The micro nutes HAVE TO be diluted in water before adding them to anything. Then you add the other two.

Am I guessing right that you mixed them some other way? If so, then it's nutrient lockout that's wrong.

Here's what I did last week:

1. Put 5 gal. of water in the container (it's an 18 gal plastic container)
2. Measured 3 oz. of GH Green and poured it into the container
3. Measured 2 oz. of GH Brown and poured it into the container
4. Measured 1 oz. of GH Red and poured it into the container
5. Added 10 more gallons of water (pouring in the additional 2 buckets of water mixed the hell out of the solution).

It's pretty hard to believe that 6 oz. of nutes diluted into 640 oz. of water (5 gal.) is a problem. Do you think that based upon how I mixed it that there's a problem with lock-out?

Doob-Meister said:
Here's what I did last week:

1. Put 5 gal. of water in the container (it's an 18 gal plastic container)
2. Measured 3 oz. of GH Green and poured it into the container
3. Measured 2 oz. of GH Brown and poured it into the container
4. Measured 1 oz. of GH Red and poured it into the container
5. Added 10 more gallons of water (pouring in the additional 2 buckets of water mixed the hell out of the solution).

It's pretty hard to believe that 6 oz. of nutes diluted into 640 oz. of water (5 gal.) is a problem. Do you think that based upon how I mixed it that there's a problem with lock-out?

That's it!

You have to mix the BROWN (Micro) nutrient into plain water first to dilute it. If you don't, you get nutrient lockout.

That's exactly what's happened to you.

You need to mix it in complete batches. If you are going to add 5 gallons to your reservoir, you need to mix exactly 5 gallons worth of nutrients, (THE BROWN ONE FIRST), into the 5 gallons of water. Then you add the other two after rinsing the measuring device first to get ALL the brown one out of it.

You'll need to dump your entire reservoir and make the solution correctly.

You'll see these instructions on the bottles as well.

Latest posts

Back