my grow box dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alshuray1

dr.greenthumb
Reaction score
i started to covert this book shelf into a grow box
7'' tall
4'' wide
4'' deep
that didn't work out
soo know i want to convert a 5 foot metal file cabinet with a lock
for my girls

i just cant run all my power (400 watt light,fans etc) from one 6 0utlet power
cord can i
(is it some kind of fire hazzard)
or should i have a gfi installed right into the box
with its own breaker
that way its fully portable

does any body know how to wire gfi to breaker

alshuray1 said:
7'' tall
4'' wide
4'' deep
that didn't work out
for my girls

cord can i
with its own breaker

yeah, just did one in my bathroom.

Green wire is ground, and black and white are power, just look at the terminals, there is usually a corresponding screw color to match the wires.

umm... i did this with the power on, i wouldnt recommend this as i could be a crispy critter right now.

Make sure you isolate the circuit you are tapping into, and shut it off, handling live wires takes a little bit of experience and one wrong bump into a power wire and your done.

Also, use the appropriate guage wire for that breaker if you need to splice in more wiring. GL

be very safe ok.

Hello friend. I run a rather more substantial grow area :) using 2 double socket outlets and extension leads although i am in the UK on the 230-240v system if that makes a difference.
If you use one double outlet for the contactor/timer for lights and another double incorporating a multiple adapter i can see no real problem.
If this info is incorrect due to different wiring between countries i apologise in advance and welcome any corrections :)

why don't you just get a power strip that can hanble 1800kv with a circutbreaker built in. It's what I do your youll need to run a 12 gage 3 conductor wire from your power pannel to the GFCI duplex receptical but you would want to run the main receptical outside the box so you can get to it when the lights are off in the event you lose power for your pumps and fans.

ive bin reading up on how to install a electric panel and 2 gfci's (plugs)
to my grow box
my box is a metal storage case
should i use solid copper wires to connect from the electric panel to the gfci s
and should i mount the electric panel and gfci s
to something(wood,plastic,)and then to my grow box
or can i mount them directly to the grow box

any suggestions

I have UPS on my setup just in case. =) But yeah you could seriously run all of that off on heavy duty extension strip plugged into an outlet. I would not recommend using one of those cheesy Christmas 4-way thingies.

I also tapped into a electrical circuit to add my own outlet. Although it was not hard to do, it is not for someone who doesn't know the layout of their circuits and that does not have a general understanding of safe practices when dealing with electricity.

alshuray1 said:
7'' tall
4'' wide
4'' deep
that didn't work out
for my girls

cord can i
with its own breaker

No need for all that, you can run your 400w & all of your fans on a metal 14 gauge 15 amp heavy duty 6 way with built in circuit breaker with no problem, and still have amps on the 6 way to spare, keep things simple no need to complicate things.

Just plug your 6 way into a 15 + amp house circuit and you will be fine as long as you dont have anything else in the same circuit running at the same time that will draw to much juice that is VERY important because if you run your 400w + fans and a microwave or AC in the same 15 amp circuit you will overload the electrical system and pop the breaker every time.

alshuray1 said:
7'' tall
4'' wide
4'' deep
that didn't work out
for my girls

cord can i
with its own breaker

Dude I'm running my 400w hps, 380w cfl, all fans, 2 florescent lights in my garage, garage door opener all on the same 15 amp circuit. My crow box power is fed with a contractor grade extension cord. If you use a GFI make sure it is properly grounded.

Good luck
MCM

since i live in an apartment and my land lord can come in at any time
i wanted a grow box
i also needed 2 things
stealth
and complete portability

whats the safest way to do this
please help
i want my grow box fully portable
supplying its own power
i just need a little help