Mythbusters test reflective materials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the math, I came up with 4.20 LOL

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

I'm curious though has ne one on this forum ever used the polish brass as a lining for a grow room/box? I think i might try it for the next indoor grow.

ktownlegend i really like the quote you have from the devils advocate, words to live by.

Stoney Bud said:
The sun creates 4 × 10 to the 26th watts of energy every second.

The sun's diameter is about 864,000, and its radius is thus 432,000.

Applying the formula for area gives us the following:

3.14 x 4.32 x 4.32 x 10 to the 5th x 10 to the 5th = 58.6 x 10 to the 10th or 5.86 x 10 to the 11th square miles.

Do the math, take two asprin and call me in the morning.

wait a minute i lost track, area of a sphere is pi radius cubed? i cant see for looking but did you just square it?

im going to find my calculator

"PIE" are round..."cake" are square..:p

i got all excited before, me and my friends often derive pleasure from calculating insanely large numbers, a few days ago we worked out how many hydrogen atoms you could line up end to end from london to paris

i have way too much spare time

Thats it, Stoney and Alien , ill be sending you guys the bill FOR KILLING MY HIGH!!!!....:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

it was some Good Hydro i found Expensive too, so i was so happy and came into the forums!! BAD move saw the math problem and actually tried to figure it out!!.. bad idea... LOL>>:hubba:

AlienBait said:
Therefore, there are [4 x 10^9]/[2.79 x 10^7] = 1.43 x 10^2 = 143 Watts/sq.ft of solar energy hitting the earth at noon.:D

So, 100 Watts/sq.foot is about right.

No, it isn't. It's 30% off. hehe, I wish you had been one of my teachers.

Stoney Bud said:
No, it isn't. It's 30% off. hehe, I wish you had been one of my teachers.

LOL! :D

Well......when you factor in that the Earth is rotating and it is not noon most of the time and the tilt of the planet and the different seasons and lattitude adjustments, etc., you really can't get an exact number. Having an order-of-magnitude value is acceptable. :smoke1:

When researching home made projectors, to project t.v. or a first person shooter computer game onto a wall, i found out that you can buy reflective faced mirror tiles, for not much more than the price of regular ones: the light never has to travel through the glass, eliminating the double image haze a regular mirror creates.

That also removes the 5 or 6% loss of light, and the heat build up that occurs when the light has to travel through the glass twice.

They're made using the same formulation as a standard mirror, except that the process is reversed: the glass is coated with the silver/aluminum whatever it is they use in standard mirrors, and that surface is used to reflect the light.

Latest posts

Back