nats? not mites.. nats??? in soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunkin2

Reaction score
since i started fox farm nutes i see nats. mostly walking around the soil. of course i disturb them and they buzz around a little. i'm affraid i'm into something wrong. no chewing on leaves is happening, but still i don't want nats on my ladies. what do i do to kill these things? i was thinking if thier running around on the soil maybe they are in the soil eating my ladies legs. 26 days into flowering.
thanks, every suggestion welcome.

im pretty sure ur having an issue with root gnats... i have a few scammpering around my plants ....
here is what you do.get fly trap paper and cut it into small squars and place in the pot on the soil near the steam or just in the soil.....
problem solved......at least that is what i am doing

Yeah, that fly paper stuff is great and nasty too if were talking the same stuff.
Good Luck, and let me know how you do.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Your problem's source is in the soil, not in the air flying around and not eating your foilage.. The adult gnats are harmless, other than laying more eggs that produce more larvae. The larve feed on the micro roots and will harm/destroy your plant.
Treat your soil, and eliminate the source of the problem. I highly recommend Diotamacious earth..www.PermaGuard.com ....or if that isn't readily available, an inch or so of 'dry' playground sand will suffice. If at all possible, stop watering from the top. Set your plants in a tray and water from the bottom.
Gnats "have" to have a moist organic spot to incubate, hatch and feed in the early stages. By eliminating that "spot" you will eliminate the gnats.
What ever you decide, if you keep the top 2 inches of soil dry, you will alleviate the problem. If you continue to provide them with an ideal environment to breed and feed, you are never going to eliminate them.

thanks fella's. i will do both. fly paper and sand. 27 days into flowering and the last thing anyone wants is a problem, right?
thanks again.

Yeah, I was having a horrible gnat problem, but then putting playground sand on the soil and watering from the bottom has worked for me so far. Like Hick said, make sure you keep the first two inches of soil dry.

~Metalchick

Latest posts

Back