nearly there, 2 questions though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiegy2k

Reaction score
ello, couple of questions:
How big an issue is it to use a carbon filter with the wrong size fan? imagine if you will the tent is 8x4x6 (high) it has approx 125cfm fresh air intake (a 5" 250cfm inline but has a t pipe fitted) the ducting runs about 4 metres to the tent.. The exhaust was planned to be a 6" 430cfm but its too noisy so gonna use another 5" 250cfm instead, the ducting (acoustic) for this is about 2 metres. The problem i have is that i already have a 6" 50cm long filter thats designed for the 430 fan-this is not returnable! So using adapters/gaffer tape etc would the filter still do a good enough job even though their is less 'suck' on it? Im running low on money and have already hung the filter so not got much choice but to use it. :(

2nd question: I have some clones that have been rooted coming my way soon but may struggle to get them to the growroom for 24-36hrs, any tips on how best to keep them happy? will it stress them to put them in natures 12/12 (conservatory) for a day and then to 24/7 at the growroom? its either they sit in the conservatory which i can keep mildly warm or keep them indoors under a bog standard 60w housebulb which i can leave on 24/7. Oh n its too cold to put them outside!

Thanks for taking the time to read and appreciate any ideas and suggestions :)

Your fan needs to be rated to your filter. I do not think a fan rated at almost half will do it. I recommend doing something to try and make the 6" fa quieter.

Just get a couple of CFL lights to put your clones under. They will be happy with low light and a warm space. Do not put into 12/12 and then back mto veg lights. Just find a little corner or closet where you can put a couple of CFLs over them and keep then on 18/6 or 24/7. Regular household bulbs are worthless and put out too much heat.

Hi Robbie...

THG has some great points to consider... imho, skimping on fan power won't cut it for temp control. I think you could run your 400 cfm fan with a $30 Speedster motor speed controller and and dial back the amount of ventilation fan speed to help with the noise.

hXXp://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3197

For that matter a Speedster may work well with your current setup hooked up to a 400cfm fan and you can dial back the noise when needed. I run my lights from 8pm til 8am and only need to run my 630cfm fan at night so I'm not concerned about the noise during the day because I run the fan at around 30%... just enough to keep negative air flow going out of my stanky closet and through the filter... and when the lights come on I increase the fan speed to deal with the heat. In the summer I have to run it at 100% when the lights are on and now I'm backed off to around 70%... It allows precise control over temps too...

Good luck!:cool:

I think your little fan will be about useless. The fan will not have enough strength to pull air through the filter thus not allowing any air circulation. Without air circulation you will have heat problems and your plants will not be getting the required amount of CO2 or fresh air.

txs HTG, I so don't want you to be right but I know deep down you are :( I don't really have anywhere available where I live but fortune has it the house is free for a few days around the time so need to do a real simple, untraceable jobby.

'ello there DOS 'n thanks for the ideas and the link :aok: (oh and that hope that all is not lost with the weaker fan!) The problem is I don't think i'll be able to run it as it is, at full speed anytime (noise is more a problem than potential smell) so i've either gotta quieten it or put up with a smaller exhaust (I've already got a spare 5" 230 but no filter). The smaller fan shouldn't be a problem because the attic temp is gonna be pretty cold during the day(decided to have lights on then - whole copter thing) and it's a pretty cool breeze coming through the intake as the ducting goes directly into the chimney breast! The intake fan is on the lights timer so it's off at night when the lights are off (just leaving the extraction fans on) and im gonna run a few heaters on timers to warm up the attic so im hoping to be okay with temps in general but it's shutting the damn fan up! :confused2:

I've read somewhere saying that having the fan hooked up directly to the filter acts as a muffler of sorts, is this true? as at the moment the fan sits bracketed to a joist outside the tent (not my idea!) and then theres a meter or so of acoustic ducting to the filter....Am I doing wrong? :eek: And would the tent even help in reducing the noise? I've also read about the vibrations but I don't think thats a problem it's more the 'plane taking off' sound!

Cheers to you both for helping out :)

did you try insulating your duct work and fan?

pcduck said:
I think your little fan will be about useless. The fan will not have enough strength to pull air through the filter thus not allowing any air circulation. Without air circulation you will have heat problems and your plants will not be getting the required amount of CO2 or fresh air.

Noooo don't say that! ;) seriously? well guess I gotta find a way to shut the thing up! Don't fancy the box/foam idea, a silencer is too expensive and annoying.. Next time im there im gonna try it in the tent with the acoustic ducting being fed out and into the deepest corner of the lil attic within my attic! It's either that or I start looking at pillows & string!

As for CO2 & fresh air I wouldn't of thought my exhaust would be so much of an issue with the active intake as well? doesn't this help 'push out' stale air? ("hey stale-air this tent ain't big enough for the 2 of us") I know I want to achieve neg pressure but I thought this would of at least helped with the CO2 exchange? oh and goes without saying i've got the cool air coming in 1 bottom corner and the exhaust out the top at the other end.

Thanks for your input pcduck :)

pcduck said:
did you try insulating your duct work and fan?

Duct work yes, well in that im using acoustic ducting and clips :confused: but the fan no, just as it comes out the box. Are you talking about building a box for it?

Inside your grow room you want negative air pressure so that no smell leaks out but has to go through your filter. No matter how much air you push in it has to go out if it cannot the air become stagnant and does not move. The air must ventilate through your grow room in order to be of any use.

robbiegy2k said:
Duct work yes, well in that im using acoustic ducting and clips :confused: but the fan no, just as it comes out the box. Are you talking about building a box for it?

No box.. they make or you can make your own, an insulating blanket type of noise reduction. Like an insulated water heater cover.

pcduck said:
No box.. they make or you can make your own, an insulating blanket type of noise reduction. Like an insulated water heater cover.

Now that i can deal with, see I don't need silence, about half of what it sounds like now would be fine. Cheers pcduck, i'll give that a go :aok:

the only way the fan and filter could have a different rating is if the cfm rating on the fan is lower than the filter.

One other thought... I have my 630cfm Eclipse inline fan hung in my attic on heavy duty rubber straps to de-couple the fan from the structure to prevent vibrations and with it up in the attic the fan is silent in my house. It has plenty of pull to move air through my filter and cool tube to keep my closet cool. BUT... most of the noise is the w-h-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-s-h of air going through the ducts... Like PCduck suggests, insulated duct work definitely helps. There's a brand called Thermo-flo that is a bit pricey but I used in a past grow where I was more concerned about the noise than I am now and it really helped cut down the noise. You could also get Owens-Corning pink insulation that they make for insulating duct too...

Good Luck!:cool:

JBonez said:
the only way the fan and filter could have a different rating is if the cfm rating on the fan is lower than the filter.

For real? cos then I can use the 230cfm fan i've got?

And thanks DOS, i've heard about the rubber straps to stop the vibrations but got no idea where I can get hold of them. I've spoken with a friend and we've decided to buy a water tank insulation jacket (about $20 your money). I should just be able to use this to dampen the noise a bit and as he was the one who set up the acoustic ducting (which didn't seem to help much) im going to go double check he's done it right because as you say the main noise is the whoooosh and i'd say it's at least twice the noise of my smaller fan and that one hasn't even got the acoustic ducting connected.

Does anyone know if theirs much difference in noise reduction between having the fan hooked up directly to the filter (filter/fan/ducting) as opposed to filter/ducting/fan/ducting?

Thanks!

robbiegy2k said:
For real? cos then I can use the 230cfm fan i've got?

And thanks DOS, i've heard about the rubber straps to stop the vibrations but got no idea where I can get hold of them. I've spoken with a friend and we've decided to buy a water tank insulation jacket (about $20 your money). I should just be able to use this to dampen the noise a bit and as he was the one who set up the acoustic ducting (which didn't seem to help much) im going to go double check he's done it right because as you say the main noise is the whoooosh and i'd say it's at least twice the noise of my smaller fan and that one hasn't even got the acoustic ducting connected.

Does anyone know if theirs much difference in noise reduction between having the fan hooked up directly to the filter (filter/fan/ducting) as opposed to filter/ducting/fan/ducting?

Thanks!

yeah, use that fan if your filter is rated higher than your fan.

Pulling air through a scrubber too fast doesnt remove all of the scent molecules, but if its slower then it will work just fine.

ps, check out Foothill filters on ebay, ALL I USE and they rock! Cheap too!

Latest posts

Back