New Grower Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BoneMan1000 said:
Might this one be ok:

hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Big-Kahuna-Reflector.asp

It seems I could use it with the GrowBright 6" HV Fan & Filter Combo upgrade option?

I keep coming back to the 1000W HTG kit because I don't have confidence that I can put together something piecemeal from numerous sources. I figure a kit is designed so everything will work together, but I'm open to other options. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

You will notice that I have edited your post. We ask that no direct links be posted. If you check Puffin's post that you quoted, you will notice that the "hppt" has been changed to "hxxp".

The Hemp Goddess said:
I prefer to keep my lights stationary and raise and lower my plants. I have quite a collection of milk crates, buckets, plastic containers, etc, etc, to set plants on. You really want to maintain an even canopy so you are going to have to raise and lower some plants anyway.

If you are more comfortable buying a setup like you are looking at, you should do that. You may want to look into some other hangers though. I think HL uses something called Sure-grip (?).

Oh yeah, raise the plants. Never thought of that :).

I'm definitely open to suggestions on retailers that offer better quality. Before I found HTG I was considering this 5' x 5' x 6.5' 600W Cooltube Soil System but exchanging the 600 watt HPS for a 1000, from BuyaGrowbox.com (the second system listed under the 5' x 5' Systems). But after posting here I'm not too enthused about cooltubes, and the only option seems to be an uncooled bat wing.

hxxp://www.buyagrowbox.com/comsystems.html

Lastly, I'm willing to spend whatever I need to spend so I can get properly set up right from the beginning, so any suggestions on better retailers would be appreciated. Thankyou HempGoddess.

Hey, like I said, I don't have any experience with the bigger hoods, but if you want to go that route I would get this one:

hxxp://www.discount-hydro.com/products/C.A.P.-XXXtreme-6-Reflector.html
Or this one:
hxxp://www.accessdiscounts.com/129712.html
I have ordered stuff from both of these places with good service and reasonable pricing. :)

The Big Kahuna and big daddy from HTG look pretty good also. The Big Kahuna looks like the least expensive

Thanks fellas for the suggestions. I was wondering if it would be possible to just get a big reflector (not air cooled) and just suck the heat out of the tent with HTG's best 6" fan? I live in the northeast USA and I could keep my spare bedroom cool in the winter, because of the cold temps up here, and I could air condition the room in the summer. Just a thought. Thanks.

PuffinNugs said:
just get the aircooled, youll be kicking yourself later. i seriously doubt just venting the tent will work espcially when your talking 1000 watt bulbs. i learned this the hard way

Ok, fair enough, thanks for saving me grief. I can eliminate that variable. Air cooled it is.

PuffinNugs said:
just get the aircooled, youll be kicking yourself later. i seriously doubt just venting the tent will work espcially when your talking 1000 watt bulbs. i learned this the hard way

Im kicking myself right now lol. If i had an air cooled hood I wouldnt have to be running my ac in there right now. Thus saving lots of the electricity on my grow.

Lemon Jack said:
Im kicking myself right now lol. If i had an air cooled hood I wouldnt have to be running my ac in there right now. Thus saving lots of the electricity on my grow.

Jack, I never realized or considered that. Running AC isn't cheap.

This is where forums like this are worth their weight in gold. Thanks for the insight.

PuffinNugs said:
first one is pretty much the same as HTGsupply (big kahuna) but doesnt look like it has the hinged glass and costs alot more
Yeah that unit doesn't look like it has hinges. I think you have to unscrew a side cover and slide the glass out sideways(not a real good design). I think yer right about the big Kahuna. I was just throwing out some comparison links anyway. The main thing I feel like is to get a hood that has a wide shallow angle to the reflector so that you get a better light footprint. I have the midsized hoods and they just don't have a big enough footprint. It causes the plants to grow toward the center and close up the middle of the grow. :)

BoneMan1000 said:
Thanks fellas for the suggestions. I was wondering if it would be possible to just get a big reflector (not air cooled) and just suck the heat out of the tent with HTG's best 6" fan? I live in the northeast USA and I could keep my spare bedroom cool in the winter, because of the cold temps up here, and I could air condition the room in the summer. Just a thought. Thanks.

As one north easterner to another you cld go this rte....I use a spare bedroom for my grow tents and in the fall and winter it is quite easy to keep them cool by opening windows in the bedroom. Having typed all that i wld still recommend getting something air cooled. If you get an early or late warm spell you won't be screwed. Jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
As one north easterner to another you cld go this rte....I use a spare bedroom for my grow tents and in the fall and winter it is quite easy to keep them cool by opening windows in the bedroom. Having typed all that i wld still recommend getting something air cooled. If you get an early or late warm spell you won't be screwed. Jmo

A fellow New Englander! Massachusetts here.

That makes a lot of sense. Having options is always good. Thanks for all your help.

BoneMan1000 said:
A fellow New Englander! Massachusetts here.

That makes a lot of sense. Having options is always good. Thanks for all your help.

Lol....not quite that far up. New Jersey.:) We get cold winters but not as cold as you guys.

Hamster Lewis said:
Lol....not quite that far up. New Jersey.:) We get cold winters but not as cold as you guys.

Cool. Chris Christie land.

HL, regarding the grow tent situation. My one area of confusion still is the whole ventilation situation. The guy at buyagrowbox.com advocates a two fan setup with his cooltube systems. One fan system pulls air from outside the tent, through the cooltube, and straight out the tent. Then he has another fan system with a filter attached that scrubs and circulates the air in the tent and shoots it out the tent. It seems that you guys are saying that I only need to use one fan system attached to the air cooled hood and maybe attach the filter inline and I'll be able to ventilate the tent as well as cooling the hood. Do I have this straight? I only need one fan system or is the two fan system advocated at buyagrowbox the best way to go? Thanks.

BoneMan1000 said:

HL, regarding the grow tent situation. My one area of confusion still is the whole ventilation situation. The guy at buyagrowbox.com advocates a two fan setup with his cooltube systems. One fan system pulls air from outside the tent, through the cooltube, and straight out the tent. Then he has another fan system with a filter attached that scrubs and circulates the air in the tent and shoots it out the tent. It seems that you guys are saying that I only need to use one fan system attached to the air cooled hood and maybe attach the filter inline and I'll be able to ventilate the tent as well as cooling the hood. Do I have this straight? I only need one fan system or is the two fan system advocated at buyagrowbox the best way to go? Thanks.

Have you seen this thread yet? http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51857&highlight=tent+growers+club

It has pics of a bunch of different tent set ups. I use one 6 inch inline fan (450 cfm) to pull the air out of my 4x4x6.5 tent. It creates negative pressure in the tent which allows me to keep odors at bay. I don't even use a carbon filter in flower. I exhaust the air out a window. You pull the air through the cool tube or air cooled hood and exhaust it out the tent, If it gets too stinky you can add a filter to the end of the hood. One fan three jobs. All your fresh air comes in the passive intakes along the bottom.

Hamster Lewis said:
Have you seen this thread yet? http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51857&highlight=tent+growers+club

It has pics of a bunch of different tent set ups. I use one 6 inch inline fan (450 cfm) to pull the air out of my 4x4x6.5 tent. It creates negative pressure in the tent which allows me to keep odors at bay. I don't even use a carbon filter in flower. I exhaust the air out a window. You pull the air through the cool tube or air cooled hood and exhaust it out the tent, If it gets too stinky you can add a filter to the end of the hood. One fan three jobs. All your fresh air comes in the passive intakes along the bottom.

Yes HL, I saw that thread, great thread. This guy at growabox created a conflict in my mind with his two fan advocacy. Maybe he just wants to sell more equipment :). I like simple solutions the best, and your ideas as well as the single fan setups in the thread seem great. Okay, I think I'm all set. As you, I could vent out a window or even into the attic.

BTW, this forum seems to be so appropriately named, "Marijuana Passion". You guys, and gals too, seem to be very passionate about growing. I think I'm starting off the same way. I'm very excited about this new adventure. I'm gonna do my damndest to do this right and grow the best bud possible. I don't think it has to be rocket science, but there are important details you have to be aware of. This first grow is going to be a tremendous learning experience, but I hope to get as many things right as possible from the beginning.

I appreciate this forum and I'm lucky I can come here for moral support and growing advice. It's a great privelege. Thanks again!

One thing to keep in mind is that just because someone works in a "hydro shop", doesn't mean they grow or even really know what they are talking about. I believe they are salesmen first.....

You may or may not be able to get by with one fan--many of us here do. I think you should start out with 1 and see if it works for you. I personally also run a larger bathroom type exhaust fan near the ceiling that runs all the time. The Vortex that is connected to my lights only runs when the lights are on. I do not really know if I need the extra bathroom fan, but I like to keep air moving around even during lights out and do not like to run the other one 24/7. I have quite drastic temperature swings between summer and winter (over 100 in summer, down to -20 in winter) and actually change my ventilation for the different seasons.

i think most of us here enjoy helping new growers get started--it is part of "The Passion"!

The Hemp Goddess said:
i think most of us here enjoy helping new growers get started--it is part of "The Passion"!

:yeahthat:

Well said.....

Oh and for light hangers it's hands down Pro Grip......best hangers out there IMO.

Goddess, if I have to make adjustments regarding cooling and ventilation that shouldn't be a problem. Like Hamster, I have the option of opening a window, or even installing a window mount AC unit in the summer (if absolutely necessary), or I'll just add another fan if I have to, but I get your point about being flexible in my thinking and to adapt to the circumstances. Thankyou.

Hamster, funny you mentioned hangers because I've been thinking hangers. The Big Kahuna hood offers an upgrade option for hanging and I was thinking about going that route, it's called "Pair of rope wratchet--1/4" x 8'--150 lb. max, $18.95".

http://xxx.htgsupply.com/Product-Big-Kahuna-Reflector.asp

Or maybe I should forget that and just try to locate a Pro Grip? Thanks.

Those Rope Ratchets they sell look to be the same as Pro Grips just branded a different name.

Here is what Pro Grips look like>>>> progrip-hangers.jpg

Looks like HTG's are a lil cheaper price wise.

Hamster Lewis said:
Those Rope Ratchets they sell look to be the same as Pro Grips just branded a different name.

Here is what Pro Grips look like>>>>View attachment 176776

Looks like HTG's are a lil cheaper price wise.

Excellent Hamster!

PuffinNugs, another great idea!

Thanks.

BoneMan1000 said:

To answer your question here; I will be running a 2 fan system in my new room. One that is dedicated to the lights and one that will bring fresh air into the room and exaust it. The difference is that my new room is very big(14'x8'), and it will have 6 HPS lights in it. In a smaller room you can do it all with the one fan and just pull the air through the light. Technically the hydro guy is correct but it is a matter of the volume of your grow rooms. As THG said, you can do the single fan setup and see how it works for ya, and if it doesn't keep it cool enough you can add another fan and dedicate the one system to just the light. I suspect you won't have too though. :)

Latest posts

Back