new lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zigggy

Reaction score
good morning ,,,hey just came into a little cash (800)what to change my flowering room lights not sure want to do ,,,now I have 3 600 hps ,,,was thinking leds but have never used them and I don't believe the hipe ,,,the room is 10x10 ,,,thanks for any help in advance ,,,ssbw

Last edited:
Hey Zigggy, if it was me I would get another 600 or a 1 K HPS.. just me, hopefully others will chime in.

good morning ,,,hey just came into a little cash (800)what to change my flowering room lights not sure want to do ,,,now I have 3 600 hps ,,,was thinking leds but have never used them and I don't believe the hipe ,,,the room is 10x10 ,,,thanks for any help in advance ,,,ssbw

hi ziggy! i have (3) 600w in a 54 inch by 96 inch tent. i think the lighting is bout perfect. u have more than double my space!! i would run (3) more 600w. be just right imho. run it by htg or any good grow store. seems a few guys are switching back from leds back to hps. BIGGER BUDS! better penetration. if u can move your xtra yield. oh yea.. jmo GOODLUCK.

<LI class="mainImageTemplate template">

javascript:void(0)
#energyEfficiency .a-icon-popover {display: none; }
VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 600W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower .....found on amazon 200 each ///do they do what they say?????

A friend of mine just harvested 1.6 grams per watt using one of these......... 4x4 space...... 9 plants...... flood and drain system....... General Hydro 3 part nutrients.

light uses 520 watts. http://illumitex.com/neosol-ds

<LI class="mainImageTemplate template">

javascript:void(0)
#energyEfficiency .a-icon-popover {display: none; }
VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 600W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower .....found on amazon 200 each ///do they do what they say?????

Can you send a link zigggy?

First, congratulations on coming into some money. That is always nice. One of the things to keep in mind with LED is that good LEDs are not cheap....and cheap LEDs are not good. In other words, I have concerns about a $200 LED being able to replace a 600W HPS.

If you are thinking of the changeover mainly because of heat, you might want to improve your ventilation or add an A/C to the space and stick with your HPS. And heat is not always bad. In the winter, I vent the heat from the lights back into my living space. LOL--at my new house (a grow house in the past), I have ducting that connects to the heating system already in place.

While you do have a 10 x 10 space, you do not necessarily have to use all of it. If you are happy with a 3 light grow (IMO, a nice sized personal grow), you might consider a tent like grasshopper has and set up a seperate vegging tent/space. Tents come in all different sizes, so it is easy to get one that works for the space you have. I love love love having different spaces for veg and flower. Having seperate vegging and flowering spaces means that you can harvest every 2 months rather than every 4 months. And could also set up a perpal grow wh plants are cycled in and out of your flowering tent on YOUR schedule. A veg space/tent can be lit with a relatively inexpensive T5 fluourescent light. And as these run fairly cool, it is fairly easy to keep the space cool.

You have a lot of options with a 10 x 10 room. Most of us have some kind of goal or plan in mind when we set up a space. Maybe if we knew what you hope to get out of your space, we could help you better. For instance, some people want as large a harvest as they can get. Edibles and concentrates takes more product than if you just smoke or vape it. Some people are more interested in quality over quantity. Some people grow only for themselves, some grow for other, too. Determine your needs.

I always love being able to improve my grow space. You have a lot of options. Have fun with this!

I was thinking zigggy, if those are your dad's lights you might think about replacing the bulbs too. Just a thought.

i would go with a ceramic metal halide CMH 315 preferably an endomaxx as they are the best, it runs on 240v which means less current and less heat. I just bought one, with 800 you could get 2 and that would cover and 8x8

said on radio show growers were getting 2 grams per watt using double ended 1000w bulbs. they sent me one free. i have no use for it. need really high ceilings... G13, how much for those leds u put a link up on??? do u truly believe he got 1.6 grams per watt?? u see any pics. got to be an AMAZING crop.. thanks!

Unfortunately, unless you already have 220V, the CHM would be quite expensive, as you would have to get 220V to your space. And as one who needed an electrician when we removed a wall for a kitchen remodel....they do not come cheap.

Grasshopper, why do you need really high ceilings for the 1000W double ended? What kind of ballast and reflector do they use? And do YOU believe that people are getting 4-1/2 lbs from a double 1000W? A 4 oz plant is actually a nice sized plant indoors...but we are talking about 18 4 oz plants to reach 4-1/2 lbs. Just seems a bit much for the space that a 1000W will cover.

My understanding has always been that you need tall ceiling with LED as the fixtures should be about 2' away to prevent bleaching and get the correct spectrum mix?

Grasshopper, why do you need really high ceilings for the 1000W double ended? What kind of ballast and reflector do they use? And do YOU believe that people are getting 4-1/2 lbs from a double 1000W? A 4 oz plant is actually a nice sized plant indoors...but we are talking about 18 4 oz plants to reach 4-1/2 lbs. Just seems a bit much for the space that a 1000W will cover.

Hi THG!

Running Dual ended really breaks away from the traditional model of "1000 watts over a 4x4 area".
I really stopped looking at that way of measuring production from rooms.

If I was to look at the GPW method, then I am hitting around 3+lbs per 1000w light right now...and that is running less producing tougher strains.
Basically...one of my dual ended lights cover an area around 5.5 x .5.5 feet. Way bigger spread then a regular single ended bulb.
Room design is a huge impact also. By this I mean using the available overlapping light from the fixtures and "squaring" up you garden, allowing no space within the canopy to not be used by the plants.

I have seen a few rooms with 10' ceilings do well with dual ended, but I prefer 12'.

To give you an example of how high I run those lights, I start the plants out under them a solid 7-8' above them. I have my lights hung at the top of my room and leave them there. I don't move them at all. And no...I do not get plant stretch and long internode spacing at all.
By the time they start pushin' pistils...they are a good 4-5 feet from the lights.
I have a lot more info on this, just holler and I can post some more, I'm just pressed for time right now.

double ended run hps and MH so the white/blue is what stops the stretching, similar to the CMH spectrum which you keep at least 3ft above and get no stretch. its funny i thinka wise investment for every grower would be to switch to 240v, it will literally cut the current in half, meaning less draw, less heat and all of your ballasts can be run with 240 i ran 1 line and have a 4 light controller. I suspect an electrician might charge 100+material that seem like a great investment

LOL, Gooch, I can tell that you have not hired an electrician for a while. A hundred bucks will not even get them through the door. I do have 220 at my place (the people who lived here before were quite the growers) and will utilize it when I set up an indoor grow. I have one ballast that is 220 only and another 1 or 2 that are switchable.

NCH, thanks for the info on the lights. Always keeping my eyes open for that something better. Unfortunately, I do not have the height for the double ended bulbs...I was hoping that you didn't needthat much room, but apparently good old 8' ceilings are not going to cut it.

double ended run hps and MH so the white/blue is what stops the stretching, similar to the CMH spectrum which you keep at least 3ft above and get no stretch. its funny i thinka wise investment for every grower would be to switch to 240v, it will literally cut the current in half, meaning less draw, less heat and all of your ballasts can be run with 240 i ran 1 line and have a 4 light controller. I suspect an electrician might charge 100+material that seem like a great investment

Running your equip at 220/240 doesn't really cut your draw in half at all sir. It just splits the draw to 2 hot legs instead of one.
If it takes 9 amps to fire a ballast on 120...then it takes 4.5 amps per leg (still 9 amps total), requiring 2 legs. A little more efficient and but no less amp draw at all.

Yes THG...higher ceilings is a must imho.

Glad you explained that NCH,,,thats what i thought.

hrmm i am not sure that is true, if you run 2 parallel circuits the voltage adds up the current stays the same, if you run 2 series circuits the current adds and the voltage stays the same. Sorry its been 20 years since i was in electronics school but i believe you are running 2 120v circuits in parallel when running 240, i could be wrong. Also i have never hired an electrician i do it all myself sorry for the ignorant statement ;-)
here is a site explaining it in more detail then you would ever want to know lol

Latest posts

Back