noob question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Localfan420

Reaction score
ive started germinating and want to use soil. any suggestions? mircle gro seems fine to me. im attempting to grow with a florescent 40 watt aquarium lite i had laying around and probably going with the shelf method because of the tight quarters. what type of fertilizer is affordable but still high quality, i was considering maybe organic...or does that not have enough nitrogen?

Some people use Miracle Grow soil with success, but a lot of people advise against using it. So, unless you know what you're doing, don't use the Miracle Grow soil.

A lot of people use Fox Farm products including Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil, 3 different liquid fertilizers designed for soil, and 3 granular fertilizers also. All these products are Fox Farm products. Fox Farm doesn't come out and tell you that it's for growing pot, but that's what it's for.

Other people use a mix called Pro Mix, and they seem to like it. There are a lot of different options for soil. Do a search on this site and search Google, etc. for different ideas.

There are organic and man-made chemical fertilizers. Do some research and see what you like best. What you're interested in first and foremost, is the N, P, K percentages, N= nitrogen, P = phosphorus, and K = potassium. An example of a good granular fertilizer (chemical) would be one with N, P, and K values 30, 15, 15. This one is good for vegetative growth, because it has a higher percentage of N compared to P and K. For flowering an example of a good fertilizer would be 10, 30, 15. This fertilizer is good for flowering because it has high amounts of P. These numbers I'm throwing out there are just numbers off the top of my head, and are only examples of what might work for you.

I've noticed that man-made fertilizers seem to be more complete than a lot of organic fertilizers. N, P, and K are only the three main elements needed for good growth and flowering. there are also Secondary nutrients like Magnesium, calcium and sulfur. These are important also. Plus let's not forget the micro-nutrients, such as manganese, copper, iron, boron, molybdenum, etc. Look for these ingredients when purchasing a fertilizer.

If you go with a soil such as Fox Farm Ocean Forest, you won't need to fertilize for about three weeks, because FFOF soil has enough nutrients to last about that long. The general rule of thumb, regardless of what soil you choose, is to not fertilize for the first two or three weeks after they sprout.

You can find lots of good information on growing basics by clicking on the Resources link at the top of the page.

Good luck. I hope this helps a bit.

Latest posts

Back