Oceanside council won't allow marijuana dispensaries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
The City Council Wednesday night approved an urgency ordinance, effective immediately, forbidding the establishment of medical marijuana dispensaries in the city.

After hearing from 17 speakers, many lobbying passionately for or against marijuana, the council voted 4-0 for the ban.

“It's the moral and legal thing you should do,” Dion Markgraaff, head of San Diego Americans for Safe Access, said in urging the council to reject the proposed ban.

“Tons of people need” marijuana for their pain, he said.

“It's one of the safest therapeutic substances known to mankind,” marijuana proponent Neal Musik argued.

Lori Green traveled from Yucca Valley in San Bernardino County to speak against it, saying marijuana use can push youth into other criminal behavior.

Four friends backed up Kinney Hines, co-chair of the North Coastal Prevention Youth Coalition, when he said permitting medical marijuana dispensaries “would send the wrong message that drugs are acceptable.”

Bruce Frankel, executive director of the San Diego Prevention Coalition, told the council the dispensaries practice no quality control and “take advantage of desperate patients” by charging $12.50 to $25 for a gram of marijuana.

Eugene Davidovich, a Gulf War veteran and admitted “cannabis patient” suggested the city set up a task force to consider allowing dispensaries.

“I cannot wrap my arms around legalizing marijuana in any form,” Councilman Jack Feller said.

Councilmen Rocky Chavez and Jerry Kern said the city's role is one of land use and not one of deciding medical issues.

City Attorney John Mullen said the urgency was precipitated by a visit he had from a doctor wanting to open a medical-marijuana dispensary.

Use of the plant for medicinal purposes is legal in California. But it illegal under federal law, and federal agents have raided medical-marijuana dispensaries in San Diego.

Juliana von Hacht, associate planner for Oceanside, recommended the ban, saying that to do otherwise “may cause a proliferation of marijuana dispensaries.”

Von Hacht said other cities – she cited Rocklin, Roseville, Oakland, Hayward and Fairfax – have found that crime increases around dispensaries.

They've brought, burglaries, robberies, loitering and traffic, she said.

An urgency ordinance is good for 45 days, but then, von Hacht said, “I will come back to you and request an extension to 10 months and 15 days.”

Councilwoman Esther Sanchez was absent.

hxxp://shuurl.com/U4826

"They've brought, burglaries, robberies, loitering and traffic, she said."
Same can be said about Walmart, I can't believe not one person out of the 4 voted for it.

The very idea of a despencery in my lil town would put the Supervisors into a "Special" "Urgent" meeting too. I can almost hear the voices raised.....read the headlines....
"Marijauna Sales to be Legalized!"
This county and the DEA have been hand in hand for years, add to the mix the Forest Service and you have the CAMP triumphorate. A place selling weed would go over like a glass of whiskey at a AA meeting.

great thing about my states laws, city laws can not be inacted to counter medical law, as our MMJ is ran by our state deparment of health. not only can they not denie a bussiness perment, they can not, under state law, even say that a dispensarie is opening up in a city. all ours are not made public, an wile we only got 2, more are coming. no one other than a card holder knows where the dispensaries are.

Why is it that our American government trumpets the values of democracy over and over again, yet when it comes time to make tough decisions lawmakers feel they have the right to dictate morality to the world? It should not be up to these people to decide this. It should not be up to any small number of people, it should be left up to the citizens of the county to vote for the measure. THAT IS WHAT A DEMOCRACY IS!!!!!

It is something about our country that I do not understand. If we are truly a country of free people and a democracy, the laws of the country should be created according to the values and beliefs of the citizens as a collective, NOT the values and beliefs of 4 people who all probably share the same view of the world to begin with. Organizing our country and the decisions about the laws that govern our country this way is closer to a dictatorship than a democracy. You still have the values of a few forced on the masses, just in this case it is a few instead of one.

No matter how you view this situation, you must admit that the will of the people is not being considered in the creation of the system and laws that govern those people,therefore the system in no way can be considered a democracy. And personally I would rather change the system than not live in a democracy.

The arguments against the dispensary are pretty poor. "Four friends backed up Kinney Hines, co-chair of the North Coastal Prevention Youth Coalition, when he said permitting medical marijuana dispensaries “would send the wrong message that drugs are acceptable.”
Ok, so putting a liquor store on the corner that sells nothing but booze, cigarettes and lottery tickets is morally great...sure....it is the same as building a Chucky Cheese.......ARE YOU A MORON?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a new epidemic of drug addiction sweeping across Africa right now ( I swear look it up). People have found that you can smoke the retro-viral AIDS drugs they are prescribed for AIDS, and are smoking them to get high instead of taking them for treatment....so does that mean we should stop making drugs that treat AIDS? Should we stop making morphine and codeine and literally HUNDREDS of other drugs that are addictive but help people BECAUSE they are dangerous? Of course not. The same thing can be said for marijuana. But in these idiot's eyes, they do not realize that "sending the wrong message" is what they have been doing the entire time by not realizing marijuana is a good form of medical treatment.

I almost consider Oceanside kinda ghetto now-a-days, too many gangs pushing out from escondido,vista, & san marcos. But, the city should look into this more, possibly require double the security around the shops or some kind of monitoring to see if it actually brings in bad people.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
Why is it that our American government trumpets the values of democracy over and over again, yet when it comes time to make tough decisions lawmakers feel they have the right to dictate morality to the world? It should not be up to these people to decide this. It should not be up to any small number of people, it should be left up to the citizens of the county to vote for the measure. THAT IS WHAT A DEMOCRACY IS!!!!!

It is something about our country that I do not understand. If we are truly a country of free people and a democracy, the laws of the country should be created according to the values and beliefs of the citizens as a collective, NOT the values and beliefs of 4 people who all probably share the same view of the world to begin with. Organizing our country and the decisions about the laws that govern our country this way is closer to a dictatorship than a democracy. You still have the values of a few forced on the masses, just in this case it is a few instead of one.

No matter how you view this situation, you must admit that the will of the people is not being considered in the creation of the system and laws that govern those people,therefore the system in no way can be considered a democracy. And personally I would rather change the system than not live in a democracy.

The arguments against the dispensary are pretty poor. "Four friends backed up Kinney Hines, co-chair of the North Coastal Prevention Youth Coalition, when he said permitting medical marijuana dispensaries “would send the wrong message that drugs are acceptable.”
Ok, so putting a liquor store on the corner that sells nothing but booze, cigarettes and lottery tickets is morally great...sure....it is the same as building a Chucky Cheese.......ARE YOU A MORON?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a new epidemic of drug addiction sweeping across Africa right now ( I swear look it up). People have found that you can smoke the retro-viral AIDS drugs they are prescribed for AIDS, and are smoking them to get high instead of taking them for treatment....so does that mean we should stop making drugs that treat AIDS? Should we stop making morphine and codeine and literally HUNDREDS of other drugs that are addictive but help people BECAUSE they are dangerous? Of course not. The same thing can be said for marijuana. But in these idiot's eyes, they do not realize that "sending the wrong message" is what they have been doing the entire time by not realizing marijuana is a good form of medical treatment.

The fact that these people voted in a way contrary to your beliefs (mine too ) does not change the fact that it is a democracy. These people where elected by the voters of this town. Now if the residents of this town are unhappy with their desicions, the same voters who put them in have every right to vote them out and elect representatives who will support MMJ clinics. The worst thing about this is that the people who oppose the clinics have no rational reason so they use scare tactics (gateway drugs, think of the children,blah,blah blah) and hyperboly. And there's never a shortage of "interest groups", usually consisting of some fanatic with a fax machine and a stick up his butt hidden in his basement everwatchful of the deamon weed or whatever else offends his moral compass.
But when it comes down to the wire it's democracy at work. If good people fail to stand up and get involved, you can bet some idiot will.

it just goes to show you how brainwashed our local government is . people with closed minds running the store . no matter how much independent info is out there they will always cover there butts. to bad in a time like this people that are in charge are so ignorant and fail to learn anything new same old sheep dog syndrome that all the government employees use. if they do go your way they lose there funding . theres nothing like having a knife stuck in your back and big brother sitting there twisting it to bad there was not a man present. just a bunch of balless wanna be politicians who just want to protect them selfs instead of listining to the people who put them there , as you can see they need to vote them out of office and put some new thinking people in there , people that listen to there people . if they don't then there just there to help them selfs and should voted out period just my point of view

Latest posts

Back