OG Kush and Pure AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifsixwasnin9

Reaction score
Pure AK (end of 9th week) and very bottom branches (and produced lots of buds) of OG Kush 5' (end of 11th week). All trichomes still clear. Never had a crop where trichs go amber at all. I don't know why! OG Kush was easy to grow. (Kush buds blew up like popcorn after I used Beastie Bloomz once or twice.) I hope I can harvest these soon and produce some high. Last crop (Hawaiian Snow, Acapulco Gold) did not produce head high at all, damnit!!! (Also growing Silver Haze which is hard to grow and White Widow which is slowly moving along and promising.)

IMG_2579a-h.jpg

IMG_2580aj.jpg

This is the start of a grow journal? If so, lets dial in your set up and nutrient regime man. They do not look happy.

Sure looks like those Girls needs alot more light for one thing.
What kinda setup ya got Bro?

Why would they need more light? The photos do not do justice. (The color is off in the photos.) They are very healthy and loaded with trichomes. I keep them on med to high light. (I brought them closer to lights two weeks ago and the AK fan leaves started to burn so I backed the lights off. The Kush leaves are big, thick and heavy which is why they sag a little.) Using 2x250W HPS for 4 plants. Using Foxfarm nutrients. Ph has been steady around 6.4-6.7.

Maybe its there genes then. The internodal spacing is huge. I can assure you those plants are not being grown to full potential. Something is off the mark.

Not to sound rude but I agree with nouvelle chef. You definately have some room for improvement. leaves never droop cuz theyre heavy or trich loaded. they should be perky and praying. what size grow area are you growing in? how much are you feeding. i think you can make them things twice as good as that. not to knock you, and i mean no disrespect, i wanna help you get more bang for your buck thats all. your internode spacing is definately too much telling me theyre stretching for light. Either the light is too far away or the space is too big for the light you have. Is your light air cooled? if not id figure out how to get an air cooled light to get it closer. you say your plants never amber? all trichomes amber over time, some more than others, but you really dont need any amber, it just depends on the high you like the more amber the more cbd and couchlock buzz youll get. the important thing is that they are cloudy not clear, then theyre psychoactive!. thats what you want, just be patient itll happen. do you have a microscope to look at the trichs? if not youll need one. I take it you grow in soil due to your ph readings which seem to be right on for soil. with a little tweaking you can get a lot better results. I mean good job you got some smoke and its not looking that bad at all, it just can be better. were giving constructive criticism, not trying to be ugly. hope you understand.

ok so look fsixwasnin9 were not putting your lady down at all. everybody on mp has been at this stage in growing. we would like to help you do your best to grow your ladys and my be even make your own strian of marijuana. i will give your a before and after pic of my ewd#1 first pic is 4 weeks form seed indca phonme. my spelling sucks. ask anybody.... anyway 2 second is 6 weeks from seed. this is from using 160 watts of cfls .
just incase you say to yourself thats just veg here are some in flower ewd#1 sativa side.... using 400watt hps cooltube mg seed starting and perlite mix and three part gh nutes ......
we will try our best to help just ask bro...:holysheep: i hope you understand because i used up these pics just for you.... nybe i will just rename them.........:hubba:

2013-02-15-00-06-32_photo_1000x1000.jpg

130226_0026_1000x1000.jpg

130226_0001_1000x1000.jpg

look at other peoples grow journals and compare yours. youll see what we mean.

Yeah Bro,,all were saying is,,with alittle dialing in,, your harvest will be much better.

I can't follow. I mean I don't the know all of the specifics of growing and no one's giving me specifics except for node spacing. (I haven't found super detailed grow tutorials on the net that go into that type of thing. Most tutorials are all the same general stuff.)
The internodal spacing is huge.
You're saying the spacing is due to stretching for light? They were stretched like that before flowering.
Either the light is too far away or the space is too big for the light
My 2x250 HPS are pretty bright from at least 3' away. Any closer and I think the leafs will burn or curl. If I put HPS 2' away the leaves will get real bright and probably burn. I have a fan going all day in the room (and room door open during day). Humidity is 25-50%, temps range 64-74 deg. Covering like 4'x4' which is at least 30W per sq ft.

How do you position HPS close to plants and not burn them? And I've read from people that say they don't use a super amount of light during flowering (?)

HighBrixMMJ on following page told me yellowing could be due to end of life cycle or cutting off N too soon. I did slowly stop N after 4-5 weeks (of flowering) or so per Foxfarm schedule (about when pistils started turning brown).
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64060&page=2

OG Kush (on top right) is 5' and not many branches or fan leaves (from day one) but big buds and lots of triches.

Here's a more accurate photo (corrected color) of AK (about 2.75-3' tall). Everything looks healthy except fan leaves which I think I burned with HPS or N deficiency. (Last few days bud leaves look a little purple-ish.) Photo taken 5 days ago -

zxzx.jpg

I am guessing you are not using aircooled hoods, on your lights. I can run my 600 watt aircooled HPS, about 6" off the canopy, with no heat stress.

OG Kush, is a stretchy strain. If they are flowered, before they are sexually mature, they will stretch a lot more, than if they were sexually mature, before flipping to 12/12. It would be my guess, that both the light distance, off the canopy, and possibly flipping them early, are to blame for the stretch.
When I first started growing Larry OG, I took cuttings, and flipped before my plant was sexually mature. The mother stretched just like your kush did. But the cuttings I took, got sexually mature before I flipped them, and the stretch was not very bad at all.

Those buds do look tasty bro.

HomieHogleg

ifsixwasnin9 said:
You're saying the spacing is due to stretching for light? They were stretched like that before flowering.

The light was to far away for vegetative growth, most ppl use t-5 lights and others use cfl's to veg an area close to the size you have. Read the light thread on our forum especially all the stickies and you should have a better idea of what ppl are trying to help you with.

Thanks HomieHogleg and ShecallshimThor. I don't have air-cooled hoods. I made the hoods myself from aluminum sheet metal. (I'll have to cut some slots in the hoods to get rid of some heat via convection.) I've never heard much talk of T5 or CFL. Everything I've ever read on vegetation is MH! MH! And that fluorescents (and other lighting) are inferior to MH for veg. Appreciate the good advice.

Stretch is caused by not enough light and/or the light being too far away. What did you veg with? Two 250W don't provide enough light for a 4 x 4 space. When we are figuring lighting needs, we don't use watts per sq ft because different types of lighting vary so much in their lumens per watt. You are looking for a min of 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 for flowering. A 250W is going to put out between 25,000 and 28,000 lumens so you are running between 50,000 lumens and 56,000 lumens. This is lighting good for a space about 10-11 sq ft. You might want to consider making your space smaller.

The Kush with the "popcorn" looking buds looks like it could have been germinated. Are any of those swollen calyx have seeds in them?

By germinated you mean pollinated? During veg the Kush looked like a female (and was a feminized seed). I noticed buds ballooning after I used Beastiez Bloom (4 wks into flowering). I'd never use that stuff again - might increase bud surface area but amount of triches is not significantly effected.

I used 400W MH for vegetation. Guess I didn't use enough light. My elect. bill is in my landlord's name so I can't risk using more wattage. Guess I'll have to put this hobby on the backburner. Or maybe I can change to more efficient lighting if possible.

T5's bro ...about 500 watts can get you 50000 lumens that should give you 3125 lummens per sq ft on your 4x4 and trust me they do work i ;ve used them b4 some of the best lights for plants. I've used all sizes of MH and i prefer t5 for something small and cuz of the low heat even if you don't get huge amounts of bud is quality that counts OG kush lol take it easy keep up the good work

ifsixwasnin9 said:
Thanks HomieHogleg and ShecallshimThor. I don't have air-cooled hoods. I made the hoods myself from aluminum sheet metal. (I'll have to cut some slots in the hoods to get rid of some heat via convection.) I've never heard much talk of T5 or CFL. Everything I've ever read on vegetation is MH! MH! And that fluorescents (and other lighting) are inferior to MH for veg. Appreciate the good advice.
This was done with T5s. You can set them right on top of yur canopy.
http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=819918&postcount=19

ifsixwasnin9 said:
By germinated you mean pollinated? During veg the Kush looked like a female (and was a feminized seed). I noticed buds ballooning after I used Beastiez Bloom (4 wks into flowering). I'd never use that stuff again - might increase bud surface area but amount of triches is not significantly effected.

I used 400W MH for vegetation. Guess I didn't use enough light. My elect. bill is in my landlord's name so I can't risk using more wattage. Guess I'll have to put this hobby on the backburner. Or maybe I can change to more efficient lighting if possible.

LOL--yes I meant pollinated (too much Master Kush maybe).

You might want to think about a 4'T5 for vegging. I replaced a 400W MH with a 216W T5 and get just as good or better veggy growth with it.

Latest posts

Back