opinions please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St_Nick

Two_Toke
Reaction score
I have 3 girls in a 4X4 room, with 600 watt hps . They are 17 days into the 12-12 light cycle and I find myself with another 600 watt light for a couple of weeks. I'm wandering what is the point of diminishing returns with light. My ballasts are variable I could light the girls with 400-1200 watts but at some point you reach light saturation.

I guess the opinion I am really asking for is will the yield benefit significantly from the extra light for 2 weeks at this point in their life? I hate to add to the electic bill for a negligable benefit.

View attachment WIN_20160501_12_08_38_Pro.jpg

heat and $$ are going to guide you

plenty of people use 1000 or 1200 (2x600) in 4x4 tents

you could/should see returns as you are currently under-lit for your space

:48:

I'm running a 12-12 cycle that is lights on at midnight so heat isn't a problem but these lights run about 30-35 a month apiece to run at full blast for 24 hour light cycle. Hmmm, I guess it's only a few bucks for a couple weeks.

I thought 600 watt of hps was perfect for 4X4 space. Or so I thought I was told. I could have bought any size light but everyone recommended 600 watts for my space.

One 600 is a little above the min. The footprint of your hood/reflector controls direct coverage area.

I run two 600's in my 4x4.

If heat is not an issue, then I would be for running the other 600W.

i am of the school of more is usually better and bigger is always bader---if i could run 1200w in 16 sq ft i wouldn't hesitate for a second---diminishing returns on power used v. lumens produced is determined by the age of the bulb---happy growing and nice set up:joint4:

They look nice, is the color off on your camera on the last pic?

Probably Rose. There are 2 strains going so one is a darker green then the other. I am just using the camera on my tablet and it tries to color-correct. They are growing in 5 gallon buckets with soil. I had 4 but one decided to go male on me. I took 8 clones so the next time it'll be better.

When I was talking about light quantity what I meant was kinda like this: If a 4X4 space with 600 watts produces 8 ounces of good bud then you used 75 watts per ounce. If I were to add 600 more watts to the closet and got 11 ounces then I have now used 109 watts to get an ounce. Since I am all about the quality, I just decided to live with the 600 and keep the cost down. Make sense?

View attachment WIN_20160514_07_26_09_Pro.jpg

i also like to use my lights to their max, i would either make the room a bit bigger to better use the second 600 or grow a 4x3 area with a single 600, under that i guess that will be counterproductive for your harvest

Well, to explain a little, I have 2 grow rooms & a propos station. Once I am fully up and running, I will be using both lights but the veg room plants just went outdoors leaving me with an unused light for a couple of weeks. This fall I hope to get me a 4ft t-5 to veg under but for now I gotta keep wasting money using MH for vegging. If I wind up posting a lot you'll come to see I'm the shining star example of the expression COB. ! Have a :vap-Bong_smoker: on me. ! I actually brought 3 55 gallon drums of soil with me when I moved 'cause I couldn't stand to spend the coin to rebuild it. COB right?

You live in a desert or something?
That's a lot of soil to move.

St nick, my husband used my special soil that i make for pot on his POTATOES. He used it all!!! I was not happy. I get it.

Rose I must be lucky I can get nearly everything I need for my soil right outside my door.

Actually, no, I live in the Appalachian mountains. I just built an organic base that I use and since I had the means to move it I did. Dirt from compost takes a season or two to rebuild.
:48:

I feel for ya Rose. I betcha got some awesome spuds!:vap- silver vapor:

Duck, tell me more of these amendments you have just outside your door? Besides worm ****. And duck I need to talk to you about my worms.

They better be great spuds.. they are huge plants.. I will take a pic for you.

@Rose... I live on river, so I harvest fish and seaweed and zebra mussel shells from it. Gypsum and dolomite limestone is in the driveway. My land has clover, dandelions, Canadian thistle, willow trees and other assorted weeds. From them you can get a good source of npk. Leaf matter that accumulated in the corners from the year before makes a nice base. Can either compost, but if you can't wait for that, put in jar and add AEM. About a week later ready for use.

The most light you will want to run in a 4x4 area for potted plants is 600 watts. Maintaining at least 18 inches from the plant tops (with fans).

Since you are running with potted plants in an enclosed room...I don't see any AC...so I am guessing a fan or two...then 600 watts is all you are going to be able to work with safely.

In order for you to crank up the lights to a higher wattage, you need to show a better cooling system and/or add a 4 foot track to move your light back and forth. With a track system, you can get the "moving" 600 watt light as close as 8 inches (with cooling fans) to help increase bud yield.

Your biggest problem will be lack of light under the canopy as the plants develop (since your space is confined). Even with lots of trimming, bud development will only be in the top 2 feet where the light is strongest. Putting some radiant reflective material inside your enclosure would help.

Regards,

Matty

Latest posts

Back