Overgrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pot Belly

Honeywagoneer
Reaction score
A recent thread here sparked an interest about Overgrow....... Is it taboo to discuss this subject? If it is, just overlook my ignorance.:eek:

I have a curiosity about the Overgrow site that went down. How many members did the site actually have? I heard it was something in the tens of thousands, and quite legendary. I'm sure the web market was flooded for a while with growers looking for another "home".

Are there any members here from Overgrow? Just curious. I would suspect that due to the nature of "it going down", most of the smart ex-members would want to remain undisclosed. I really don't know.

Any input on this topic would be appreciated.

PB:)

Ex OGer here PB. Not sure of the exact number of members they had but it was alot. Crap i think at the time they got shut down we had just started our first ever grow. In a way i'm glad they went down or we would have never found MP. Damn i love this place. ;)

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Ex OGer here PB. In a way i'm glad they went down or we would have never found MP. Damn i love this place. ;)

Oh, you bet guys. This site is great and I've made a little spot comfy for me here as well.:p

Im from OG also, great place. but MJ forums have come alot further since then.
OG did have some Great info though

I was from OG but then switched to gardenscure.com/420 then came here. much prefer here to any others

Overgrow started in around 2000. At the end they had more then 60.000 members. It was a big community.

What would be interesting is how they grew so big?

One thing is that the member that set it all up was a great programmer ~Shabang~ His name is mentioned as a developer of this software the forum runs on. He also developed the archive section if i'm right. That was a big one scoring very high for thousands of terms in the search engines. Smart guy

well it was just so popular i thinkman because it had so many tutorials pics in the tutorials trading seeds and etc it was just heaven

Pot Belly said:
I'm sure the web market was flooded for a while with growers looking for another "home".

It was insane man, I remember when it went down and I just became a mod here :eek:
Every forum got filled beyond there capability, IC mag had to set up a sections...one for OG refugees, and another for old members. I watched site after site scramble there butt off for at least 2 months. Along with widepread panic. Rumors, newscasts, it was nuts.

Was "THE" site at the time. Most linked forum when it was up.

It was a shame it went down. I lurked my tail off, but never joined....way too many people for me to keep track of threads as a poster.

Yes the tutorials were great. And a lot of members were very active contributing with strain reports, articles, DIY etc.

Well, unfortunately I never got to see the site. I see a lot of the tutorials we have here have been adopted by MP.

Was Overgrow Canada or U.S. based? What happened to all the seized info? I know I'm full of questions, but like I said, I am curious, and I do like trivial info - especially if it relates to MJ and its culture. A history lesson always helps one's appreciation.;)

I'm sure there are a silent few who may be interested in the same.

I was on OG for a short time, and it wasn't because of MJ growing, actually I was researching hydroponic systems for tomatoes believe it or not!! How funny to see how things evloved, but I joined there and posted there, in the DIY section mostly.

The servers and all equipment was supposedly confiscated, but no one will really ever know I guess.

md.apothecary said:
I was on OG for a short time, and it wasn't because of MJ growing, actually I was researching hydroponic systems for tomatoes believe it or not!!

That's great!;) Every hydro shop hears about tomato grows over and over. And you were really checking out hydro for tomatoes!:rofl:

I can see it now.........1 1000 watt HPS, ebb and flow set-up for 20 plants, exhaust set-up, timers for light and pump........ Now all I need are my 'mater seeds, and in a few months we'll have some Better Boys for our burgers.

I can hear them all saying with a big grin........"Sure -Whatever you say dude!"

Overgrow started my love for this hobby. Oh the memories :rolleyes:. But this place has been quite a blessing since I decided to return to the sport. Nice environment here.

Chronic007

Dude that owned it got busted by the RCMP. Was in Canada. He ran a seedbank and couple of forums.

Mutt said:
Dude that owned it got busted by the RCMP. Was in Canada. He ran a seedbank and couple of forums.

Would that be the legendary Marc Emory? (sp)

I think its sick what the U.S. gov is trying to do to him. Leave us alone, go bust them crazy meth labs down in az and nv. leave us pot grower's alone.

Pot Belly said:
That's great!;) Every hydro shop hears about tomato grows over and over. And you were really checking out hydro for tomatoes!:rofl:

I can see it now.........1 1000 watt HPS, ebb and flow set-up for 20 plants, exhaust set-up, timers for light and pump........ Now all I need are my 'mater seeds, and in a few months we'll have some Better Boys for our burgers.

I can hear them all saying with a big grin........"Sure -Whatever you say dude!"

seriously... i was new to hydroponics. and they had the ONLY true to life info available. I came across that site because everything i searched under hydroponic tomatoes came up with overgrow's gardening section that was everything outside of MJ. There I found links to hydro stores online and bought my first waterfarm drip system, then I learned how to build them. That's where I found Mr. Green! Mr. Green changed my life!! After watching his video "I grow chronic", I grew other plants (can't be mentioned on this site) and now, I grow green because I just am fascinated with the plant itself. Just marvelous!

Latest posts

Back