PC case Growbox

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mutt,

What I was talking about was laying the case on its side instead standing it up right so that one of the sides became the bottom and therefore there would be more area to put seeds/clones into since they don't need the height that regular plants do.

Good smoking.

Woo hoo!

10 feminised Lowryders arrived today.

For germination, I used a paper towel in a little bowl, lots of boiled tap water, microwaved it for 4 minutes to sterilise everything, then I put two seeds in.

Update on the box: I turned off the intake fan, and the temperature has shot up to 26 deg. C., which I'm guessing should be ok.

woo hoo again!

Delivery.JPG

germ_001.JPG

tryer77,

IF you can keep it there you should be okay. 26C =78F which is right on the lower edge of what is generally accepted as the sweet temp for growing.

Good smoking.

Quick Update: One seed cracked open, and already had a 1/2 inch shoot in about 24 hours... thats the fastes germ. I ve seen. The second seed has cracked also, but the shoot is about 2mm only.

I will plant the first seed in soil today, and the second one tomorrow.

:D

Somewhere I read that the poster recommended scarifying the seed coating by very lightly scuffing it with about 100 to 120 grit sand paper. The technique is to line the inside of a small bottle with the sandpaper with the rough side pointing in, put the seed(s) into the bottle and gently shake it for 30 seconds and then plant it. I believe the poster was talking about using this technique with older seeds but recently had occasion to speak with a grower who is also a botany professor who volunteered that he does that with all of his seeds.

I haven't tried it, but if the botany professor grower recommends it , I will try it. The prof said that in his opinion the most important 3 factors were keeping the temperature as close to 78f as practical and not drowning the seeds followed by the scarifying of the seeds.

tryer77, it looks like you have it going.

Good smoking everyone and Merry Christmas!

Don, I remember trying that method with some old Malawi Gold seeds I had laying around for more than a year. The "sanded" seeds did seem to crack easier.

Heres a quick update, not much to see.

break on through.jpg

power lifting.jpg

first pair.jpg

DonJones said:
Please explain how plants see the bright moonlight differently from the way we see if they both cover the same spectrum. Now I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand what seem to be contradictory to the laws of physics.

Sorry haven't been around much..busy time of year for me.
Tryer answered your second question for me on releasing of personal info :)

To answer your question...
Apparent visual magnitudes of known celestial objects
–26.73=the Sun
–12.6=Full moon

or in Lux
0.27 lux-1 lux Full Moon on a clear night
100 lux is a dark overcast day
10,000–25,000 lux is daylight not receiving full sun
32,000–130,000 lux is full noon day sun blasting right on ya
Just becuase it "appears" to be bright to us, doesn't mean its usable for photosynthesis. Full spectrum light is pure white. Presence of all wavelengths, Black is the absence of all wavelengths.
Our eyes interpret reflected light..thus why green plants look green. They absorbed the other light. All light is to us is seeing what the object reflected back. So a full moon is missing all the factors that plants need for photosynthesis :) Mom nature sure does have her groove goin on.

Visible light don't mean much to plants..its the PAR, lumens are more for the amount, but spectrum is where its all at. Providing the wavelengths that the plants use and as much intensity as possible. Photosynthetically Active Radiation is what matters.
If your going to use a light meter, One that measured the wavelegth of the light provided would be the one to use.
hXXp://www.specmeters.com/Light_Meters/

I don't see much use in buying one, but where i would see the benefit of a light meter is to keep track of life expectancy of the bulb, check for light leaks, and checking the grow bulb wavelengths to maximize growth.

Latest posts

Back