PH Adjusting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragracer

The Fast One
Reaction score
I have heard you can use vinegar and baking soda to adjust PH levels. Is this accurate, and anyone doing this??? Thanks

Yes you can use those two items. I am not using that method, but someone will chime in who is.

Thanks, just wondering if it is a good way to go and if so, what ratio per gallon of water should one use,,,thanks for the input :confused2:

i tried vinegar and lime juice both suck the ph will go crazy every day or two you'll need a whole bottle it will cost you much more and the room will reak the res will get bacteria infested, in short term it is crap. get phosphoric acid or something that works as ph down. ive heard people use battery refill acid check that i personally only tried phosphoric it works wonderful, and you definitely neet ph tester, if you cant afford one get the drop test(not test strips) you could then tell how much to add, just my opinion cheers :)

dragracer,

There is a lot of information on this topic in the DIY thread. Personally I use battery refill fluid (dilute sulfuric acid) dilute it an additional 1 part acid to 4 parts water[{ALWAYS ADD ACID INTO WATER TO AVOID BOILING OVER OR EXPLODING!}] and use 1.3 ml per gallon to pull 7.0 down to 6.0

Give the DIY section a look for ideas and cautions for making your own PH down.

I really don't know of any good PH up but I have heard that Baking Soda is a bad choice because of the sodium that it contains.

Good smoking

Thanks for all the good info....you are right Zem ,I used it last night and it was 5.9 and woke up this morning and it is 7.4, I will do a little more research...thanks for everyones input.....:)

Reactions: zem
Distilled white vinegar is ok to use in soil but is too unstable to use in hydro.

PH up and down can easily be bought in many places.

:peace:

thanks Hippy, I understand it is available, just like to DIY when I can..:)

you can diy earthjuice up/down....go to the store by yourself, buy it with no help from the salesman, drive home by yourself and put it in your res all by yourself...i know i'ma smartass but i think it better to use a stable product rather than possibly destroying your crop with a dead battery or something else..lol...

i like DIY too but whenever it helps me somehow. i get phosphoric acid in bulks, you might be able to find it in 5gallon or 1 gallon in water treatment stores or maybe outdoor gardening store. 1 gallon is alomost a lifetime supply let alone 5gal :p i also get the H2O2 from pharmacy 30% concentration and i dilute it myself, i get the epsom salt from pharmacy too in bulks so i save big bucks on those, however i buy my GH ferts right from my supplier and i pay the price. this is as far as i would go in DIY solutions. i buy what works but i look outside the hydro store to find the same thing for cheaper. H2O2 is sold in hydro stores in low concentrations and i get exactly the same thing for much less so is phosphoric cid sold as ph down in small quantities in hydro stores. there are people who would do everything from ph down/up to ferts using worm casting and fert tea in their hydro, but how much would it help you if you only save some few $'s per grow and you have to save the organic wastes and gather them and put them for the worms and care for the worms water them keep their ph level temps etc... then harvest it and use it as tea i'd never do that to me this is not really DIY cuz it really doesnt help me it adds too much effort for too little $'s and it might screw my grow to add to my loss, hope this helps cheers :)

You have one thing right, you are definitely a smartass!! I went to junkyard and bought some old batteries today, will see what happens!!

dragracer said:
You have one thing right, you are definitely a smartass!! I went to junkyard and bought some old batteries today, will see what happens!!
!!!!!! used??? i thought it should be fresh refill acid :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was B.S.ing the guy who was being a smartass...I actually went to the auto parts and bought what Don Jones suggested and am using his recipe....:**:

:cool2: By the way thanks Don, I have learned a lot from your post..

Played the mad scientist a bit today a made some PHdown from sulphuric acid. Thanks to the info and suggestions..seems to work well!!!!!:watchplant:

dragracer,

Just be CAREFUL around any chemicals! Especially caustic bases (strong PH down materials) and acids.

GladI oculd help.

good smoking.

Latest posts

Back