portland says no to fluoride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaotik

MrInvisible
Reaction score
ok, not marijuana news (though seeing as they're in one of the few states with open minds who legalized marijuana.. maybe it is, and the conspiracy nutjobs are right ;) :D) but i'd like to raise awareness and want to give props to the people of Portland for standing up for their rights and not just accepting what government want and what medical say.

Portland bans adding of fluoride to their water

There weren’t too many smiles Tuesday night at the Curious Comedy Theater, site of the election-night party of the pro-fluoride campaign whose main slogan was “Help PDX Smile.”

Measure 26-151 lost by a resounding 3-2 margin, the fourth time in five tries that Portland voters have turned down the idea of fluoridating the city's water supply.

"At a very fundamental level, people understand that we don't want more chemicals in our water," said Kim Kaminsky, leader of Clean Water Portland, at a campaign party for fluoride opponents at the On Deck sports bar.

The nonprofit Upstream Public Health brought the idea of fluoridating Portland’s water to city councilors last year, quietly building majority support on the council before the public really caught wind the fluoride issue was back on track in Portland.

The council unanimously approved fluoridating Portland’s water last September, but the stealth campaign by supporters may have backfired.

Fluoridation opponents, with little money or professional political help, quickly gathered enough signatures to force a public referendum on Tuesday. "In 30 days, we put together an operation to gather 43,000 signatures," said Rick North, a member of Clean Water Portland's steering committee.

Portland is the last major city in the U.S. without fluoridated water, and, now that voters have spoken, will remain so.
hxxp://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/152986-portland-voters-reject-water-fluoridation-

fluoride; touchy subject.. i'm against it, even though (most) in the medical world say it's safe..
i just don't understand at the very least why you want to add more chemicals to our already chemically loaded diet. (and i will admit i hold more faith in the conspiracist side; they add it because they like an easily controlled apathetic public.)
..i just don't buy the "it's for the poverty childrens teeth" spiel :rolleyes:

if you don't know anything about it, i wont try to sway you.. but i do suggest you read a bit into it and make your own decision about it (seeing as like 90% of americans drink fluorided water)

it's been defeated 4 times in 5 tries in Portland now.. and i bet they'll try again shortly, cause the children need it :rolleyes:

much respect to the people in portland and seattle. didn't they also pass a measure where GMO foods must be labeled as such.. and legalized pot.. wonder if common sense would spread faster if your leaders stopped fluoriding the drinking water everywhere else too ;)

I drink fluoridated water. I have a hunch that perhaps it is giving the dogs I've ever owned tumors/cancer. Just a hunch. I drink it with the belief that as long as I consume marijuana, I'll be just fine in that marijuana will protect my body from harm.

I don't know enough about the subject of fluoride in water, I'm all in favour of the local residents having their say in what they ingest.

I pay too much money for whole house water filters, clean water should be a given..it isn't.

Latest posts

Back