Pot plants were found in secret room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A bookcase hid the entrance to a secret room that police said held more than 100 marijuana plants and led to the arrest of the woman who allegedly grew them.

"This was a very sophisticated operation," Grafton County Sheriff Doug Dutile said.

Patricia W. Smith, 55, of 12 Deerfield Drive, Woodsville, which is in the Mountain Lakes development, was arrested late Friday and charged with manufacturing marijuana, a felony offense. She is free on $10,000 personal recognizance bail.

Her arrest capped a six-month investigation that Dutile described as "intense and involved" by his officers and state police. It began as a tip to his office and ended after a seven-hour search of the home Friday afternoon.

Smith is unemployed, Dutile said, but owns the home outright and lives there alone.

The growing operation, he said, "has been going on for two years, as far as we've determined."

The marijuana was being grown hydroponically in the basement, and the door into the 20-by-20-foot room was hidden by a bookcase and wrapped with aluminum foil.

"You couldn't see the room from the outside at all," he said.

Another room was used for drying the buds, he said.

The operation had a ventilation system, grow lights that operated on timers and a watering system, he said.

"This is all stuff that she purchased" to grow the plants, he said. "It was all top-notch."

During Friday's search of the home, investigators took apart the exhaust fans. They also discovered a cloning system to reproduce the plants.

By the end of the search, investigators had seized 121 plants; $14,000 in cash; five pounds of packaged marijuana; digital scales; and other equipment, authorities said.

Dutile said there have been larger pot busts in the county, but this was one of the more sophisticated operations he's seen.

Police also seized a computer during the search, and he said forensic investigators will carefully examine the hard drive to determine whether Smith had any associates and who may have been buying the finished product.

Dutile did not rule out further charges against Smith, or more arrests in connection with the case.

Smith is scheduled to appear in Haverhill District Court Jan. 11.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/y8cdpfz

lord forbid she grow and be independent better that she be unemployed and on welfare...those turkeys...probably helping the economy while she is at it...

2Dog said:
lord forbid she grow and be independent better that she be unemployed and on welfare...those turkeys...probably helping the economy while she is at it...
+1 a 55 year old woman growing weed is probably the least likely violent criminal you could have.

all drug dealers go to prison you think you have it made then boom your door is getting kicked in! stay safe f**k the police

I've asked this before, but...Has anyone ever heard of a "secret room" that worked? That is...The bust went down but secret room was not found. Seems like a big waste of time to me, by the time they knock/kick down door don't they usually already have evidence from surveilance/snitches, etc.?

Yes. Most definately. Had a friend with a large grow "tunneled" into the dirt behind his house (back of house into a small hillside). He was raided once and burgled once before he got out of the hobby, and the raiders spent about 8 hrs searching and never found the grow. It took some creative construction and you could find it if you knew where it was - but that room was a wonder to experience. Brought a tear to me' eyes to be so proud of pot head perserverance and engenuity... sniff...

I knew another country/farm fella who had a full grow in a buried semi-trailer on his property. He was raided and they found nothing. He quit the hobby too - but I think the trailer is still underground and waiting for a legal revival some day.

Have heard of others, but those two I saw for myself and know that both did exactly as designed.

Budders Keeper said:
I've asked this before, but...Has anyone ever heard of a "secret room" that worked? That is...The bust went down but secret room was not found. Seems like a big waste of time to me, by the time they knock/kick down door don't they usually already have evidence from surveilance/snitches, etc.?

yeah, she was helping the economy, now that she's busted it will further hinder the economy, as the dollars are spent to prosecute her....screwed up system, how long until these gov't officials figure it out???

It says the investigation started on a tip...she pizzed someone off, so they were going to find it if they had to tear every wall down, you know the cops! Our hero's...protect and serve. I for one feel much safer knowing that a 55 yr old lady no longer has access to her 121 plants and 5 lbs packaged, just think of the horrible things she could have done with that! 6 month investigation....now there is tax payers money well spent, in the midst of a recession!

Budders Keeper said:
you don't hear about how secret rooms weren't found because they are just that, Secret...If it wasn't found than nobody knows about it still so it is still a secret.

So, this kind of highlights how fascist the police in this country is. As soon as I read this, there was only one thing that popped into my head. I was just recently in Amsterdam on business, and visited the Ann Frank house. They were forced to hide behind...you guessed it...a book case.

This is an upside down world, brothers and sisters...Citibank, Goldman Sachs, etc, raid, loot, steal and bring the world economy to it's knees. Not one person goes to jail. NOT ONE! Instead, they get 10's of BILLIONS of OUR money.

This poor woman grows 120 plant (that's no where near a major grow!), and they find $14,000 (NOT a large sum of money, BTW, compared to the millions the cartels make), and she get's prison, and everything confiscated.

This woman actually is the model of what WILL work...charge people a couple hundred bucks a year, and let the small business man open shop. The price will plummet, people like her (who, by the way, are discriminated against in the job market) can make a decent living, and the criminal element is put out of business.

If people can brew beer at home, why not brew some green?

once again all drug dealers go to prison stay on your toes and do your time!

"Patricia W. Smith, 55," .. "Intense and involved" my ***. How ridiculous. She owned the home, and lived by herself, NOT trafficking obviously (or they would've mentioned).

brandoom said:
"Patricia W. Smith, 55," .. "Intense and involved" my ***. How ridiculous. She owned the home, and lived by herself, NOT trafficking obviously (or they would've mentioned).
of course she was trafficking it, what you think she was doing with all that bud?and the money where did that come from?

Latest posts

Back