PPM outta control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da420wn

Reaction score
:eek: We have our PPM's at 980 when we mix the nutrients, but after a day in the system they are UP to like 1700 So I removed some soution (approx 2 gal.) and added H2O. to get the PPM's back down. HEre we are next day and they are up again and my plants are now showing signs of too much N.
This is a new system, what should I do how do I keep the PPM's regulated, Is that and everyday thing????? :confused:
The leaves are just a lil burnt on the ends and a lil brown on the edges.
and curled up.

Thank you I am an outside GROWER, a seed some dirt and water.:ignore::)
This is our first attempt at Hydro

I know the problem with my plant is because of the too much nutrients but At the time of mixing I di it correctly AND checked again... Why do they get stonger with time :eek:????? Do we have to dilute our nutrients everyday????

Thank you

what are you using ? hydroton? more info please... i had a similar problem but you state its a new system. i was on my second grow and i was leaching old salts and nutrients from my hydroton causing it to rise but not to that degree. you are either mixing it wrong or you have a bad gauge or something. how old are your plants?

Thank you and Yes we are using hydroton and rinsed them before using. I bought the testing solution with the TDS meter to calibrate it. I am thinking that I am going to dump my solution and remix this evening.

they are clones mmmmmmmm not sure how old but but they are about 6 in.

I have seen this many times. Sometimes it's the hygroton. It takes alot of rinsing to get rid of the dust. IF YOU ARE POSITIVE you mixed correct, just keep diluting with water till the dust precipitates out and you start geting lower readings. I have to add water to my res almost every day. If you think you might have goofed up front, start over, but rinse the hygroton some more anyway. I'd just dilute it till I had a ppm of 500 or so for those clones.
:)

ok i had my #s a lil off it started at 500 and went to 1000 But we have decided TO START OVER ... I do believe that it was the hydroton, although we did rinse it well the first time, I could see that there was residue in the buckets.
THANK YOU all for your info. and help.

hey man, just an update to what happened to me and why i think it did. i started with new hydroton yesterday in flower. i rinsed it with tap water (mine is very high in PPM ... about 320) and then dumped in 22 gallons of distilled water into my res. after 3 or 4 feedings the ppm jumped from 600 to 800. im pretty sure it was leaching the tap water out of the hydroton raising the ppm.
not sure if this might be your problem but im sure thats what happened to me.

Again Thank you, We have been only using RO H2o, BUT I did do my initial rinses with tap water, but did the final rinses with RO. Yesterday when we RE DID our system... I only used RO water. So the hint of he day is RINSE THAT HYDROTON and RINSE IT AGAIN...

Have a very HIGH DAY

MUAH!!
THANX

tested again all is well. Boy did we learn a lesson, is that is the instructions somewhere, or in the newbie help lists. Good luck all and I will keep on reading.

:p;):hubba::D:eek:

i think i have mine under control today as well but i had to keep pulling water out of my res and adding more distilled H20. i was getting a ppm of 900 but the plants were begging for nitrogen. so i guess my crappy city water raised the ppm with unuseable chemicals. this made me cut back on the good nutes and it shows in my plants. new growth is very light green. so i gave them a shot this morning. i hope all is well now.

partychief13 said:
tested again all is well. Boy did we learn a lesson, is that is the instructions somewhere, or in the newbie help lists. Good luck all and I will keep on reading.

:p;):hubba::D:eek:

it's the dust dude, not a problem if you know what's up, just keep rinsing or diluting until the dust precipitates.

you could run the nutes thru a filter, like for a fish tank or maybe a coffee filter??? anything not disolved should be filtered.

yes yes I agree , that is why I said rinse and rinse and RINSE AGAIN!!!!!

partychief13 said:
yes yes I agree , that is why I said rinse and rinse and RINSE AGAIN!!!!!

I meant the reiteration mainly for Blunt, he seemed to think his tap water rinse was causing the reading. I didnt want anyone confused :confused: I figgered you had gotten it. :D

THANKS MAN, THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT,... I HAD 2 -38LB BAGS OF HYDROTON AND I PUT THEM IN A ooops caps lock. i put them in a huge vat with holes in it. then i rinsed them for at least a 1/2 hour getting all the dust off. or so i thought. so the only thing i thought it could be was my crappy city water. i do notice the ph isnt anywhere near as stable as it used to be,... im using a shitton more of PH down. its all starting to make sense to me now though after you explain it. high solids because of the dust yet plants are starving because all the ppm is dust solids. im not the brightest guy out there but if you beat it into me i eventually get it... thanks again

Puffin Afatty said:
I meant the reiteration mainly for Blunt, he seemed to think his tap water rinse was causing the reading. I didnt want anyone confused :confused: I figgered you had gotten it. :D

Latest posts

Back