PPM to EC conversion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blunt

I kill them all
Reaction score
is there a chart available somewhere? i googled with no luck
i see people measuring nute strength in 2 formats. id like to know what they are talking about and be able to compare. thanks

ppm ec

70 = 0.1
140 = 0.2
210 = 0.3
280 = 0.4

and so forth

umbra said:
ppm ec

70 = 0.1
140 = 0.2
210 = 0.3
280 = 0.4

and so forth

what if you have a hanna meter though or a milwaukee instruments, the hanna meter uses x 500 and the milwaukee uses x 640 as the forumla for figuring ppms.

Overall it doesn't really matter what you use, because you learn your own judgements, but if you have a ppm meter that is different to someone elses and you guide them on what ppms to use, you could be giving them duff info.

my meter reads both, I use ppm just because everyone seems to understand it. I see no advantage either way really. tds reads in ppm and ec reads in ms. whats the difference, like inches and millimeters?? :confused:

the widowmaker said:
what if you have a hanna meter though or a milwaukee instruments, the hanna meter uses x 500 and the milwaukee uses x 640 as the forumla for figuring ppms.

Overall it doesn't really matter what you use, because you learn your own judgements, but if you have a ppm meter that is different to someone elses and you guide them on what ppms to use, you could be giving them duff info.

It's from a conversion chart. if you are questioning the chart, then you should take that up with NIST. Since the chart shows NIST tracability.

umbra said:
It's from a conversion chart. if you are questioning the chart, then you should take that up with NIST. Since the chart shows NIST tracability.

I'm not questioning the chart or you, i'm just stating fact that ppm is a scale that is derived from electrical conductivity, the ppm meters take the electrical conductivity reading and then multiply it by a number which is dependant upon the manufacturer.

Some meters do use x500 some use x 640 and some use x 700, this is fact.

I understand, but measurements are my life, LOL. there are relative measurements and there are absolute measurements. The reason certain meters have different cal factores has to do with how the measurements is made and the degree of uncertainability of the detector. when a less actuate detector is used the degree of uncertainabilty is higher and the cal factor is greater. NIST is the National Instistue of Standards and Technology. All calibration are derived from their standards. That is the whole point to there being different cal factors, so that you arrive at the same standard.

umbra said:
I understand, but measurements are my life, LOL. there are relative measurements and there are absolute measurements. The reason certain meters have different cal factores has to do with how the measurements is made and the degree of uncertainability of the detector. when a less actuate detector is used the degree of uncertainabilty is higher and the cal factor is greater. NIST is the National Instistue of Standards and Technology. All calibration are derived from their standards. That is the whole point to there being different cal factors, so that you arrive at the same standard.

I'm sorry but this is total **, ec is electrical conductivity, this test is carried out by emitting a small electrical discharge into the water and then measuring how much comes back, these meters are standard across the globe and there is no calibration factor for figuring out ec, now all ppm meters use ec to figure out the ppm.

so if all ec meters are standard why does the calibration change, because they are less accurate.

Hmm, sounds like your clutching at straws now.

I'll leave it here though because you seem to be taking this personally, like i'm insulting one of your best friends or something.

I couldn't really care much about nist either, the first letter in that is national, i'm guessing that this is america. So that really has no baring on me.

In america you guys measure 4 litres per gallon in uk we put 4.5 litre per gallon so theres a us gallon and a uk gallon, let me guess though this is just down' to the inaccuracy of the petrol pumps used, when really they are getting just the same :-s :-s :-s

The actual reason behind the different conversion rates is down to where the meter was made, different countries use different factors to get their results. In america, what you are saying may well be standard in the states or wherever, but this is the internet bro and the world and things vary from country to country.

My measuring device is a HANNA 98130, a combo meter. It can be set to whatever conversion factor you use. When I calibrate, I use hanna fluid of a known measure, setting the ppm, but I can still set the conversion factor to change the EC reading. I dont understand the :confused: issue??

whether you use ec/ms or tds/ppm makes no difference whatsoever. it's just a measurement scale, like ph, inches or gallons. pick one, get used to it, grow your plants and forget the politics. JMTCW.

Puffin Afatty said:
My measuring device is a HANNA 98130, a combo meter. It can be set to whatever conversion factor you use. When I calibrate, I use hanna fluid of a known measure, setting the ppm, but I can still set the conversion factor to change the EC reading. I dont understand the :confused: issue??

whether you use ec/ms or tds/ppm makes no difference whatsoever. it's just a measurement scale, like ph, inches or gallons. pick one, get used to it, grow your plants and forget the politics. JMTCW.

if you read through what i have already posted you will see that i'm not trying to say use this scale or that scale, i said it didn't matter.

The only thing i have a problem with is bad info, and to say outright this is the scale is wrong, because there are 3 scales, nothing against anyone, just stating facts.

I wasn't trying to offend you or anyone else. Not much point in continuing with this thread. I'm sure we have other things in common, that we both agree on. I would rather go in that direction.

It's a silly thing to argue about for sure, i wasn't trying to offend anyone either.

Latest posts

Back