Pruned my lower 1/3 - Did I prune to much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tact

Learning Everyday
Reaction score
So as of today its 8 weeks veg, going to let it go for another 3-4 days (could go longer) before I switch to 12/12 to give them tiem to recoup from the stress. I trimmed yesterday.

Did I trim to much? I did trim the fan leaves, was not quite 100% on the pruning, the idea I guess was to send growth hormones up top since those bottom leaves were not getting much light (consistently). The shot is a sideview, so you can see easily where they were cut at the stem.

To me Tact it looks good. And I agree 100% with letting them recover 3 or 4 days before switching to 12/12

A+ from me....thats the same way i do things. I usually devide any pruning up over the last 3 weeks of veg, give them a week to recover and flower. then in the 2nd week of flower I will prune any sucker branches that have appeared in the flowering stretch, that aren't going to be able to get the light they need...and then I don't cut anything until the end. You done good man!

Hey guy, thanks for the replies, good to hear!

OldHippieChick said:
Hi Tact,
Were these leaves you trimmed yellowed?

No, mostly lush green.

One weird thing, I gave them 50% flower nutes yesterday after the trim, calibrated my meter before hand and gave them 6.3-6.6 pH water (measured after nutes, just before the plants got them) the first 5 gallons was 6.6 runoff measured 7.1, the second 5 gallosn was 6.3 runoff measured 7.0-7.2! ***? They do have 3 TBSP of dolomite sweet-lime, and its FFOF forest with added FF chunky perlite. So I was confused as to how the runoff could of exceeded 7.0 as dolomite sweet lime is a buffer that can't exceed 7.0. Anyway, just thought that was odd.

Tact said:
So I was confused as to how the runoff could of exceeded 7.0 as dolomite sweet lime is a buffer that can't exceed 7.0. Anyway, just thought that was odd.

Hey Tact-

Plants look good- have no perspective though. How do you think they look?

I always thought that lime takes quite a while to break down. How long ago you put it in? And are you sure you added enough?

Like I said- looking good! Good luck with them.

Yo BB Fan.

They look good, about a week ago (maybe 9 days) I transplanted them from 2 gallon pots to their 5-gallon pots. The 2-gallon pots had 2 TBSP of dolomite lime (1 TBSP per gallon), when I transplanted them into the 5-gallon pots I added 3 more TBSP of dolomite (it is powdered btw, the kind that breaks down fast(er)), so each 5-gallon pot has 5 TBSP of dolomite-sweet lime. Usually the runoff seeded to read 6.3-6.6, this is the first time it read over 7.0. So... yeah. FFOF is pH balanced to 6.3-6.5, and the chunky perlite shouldn't raise the pH should it? Therefore I am not sure how the pH rose to over 7.0, given the pH balance of the water after nutes were added was balanced to 6.3-6.6 in the two 5-gallon.

hmmm I don't get that either man. If anything my pH usualy drops a little after running through the soil. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as they are looking healthy. I would say maybe a nute/salt build-up but you haven't been adding any nutes so to speak have you? If it were me and they looked happy, I'd not worry about it and check it again next watering/feeding. If it's still high then, I would run a gallon of water ph'd on the low end of the scale. like 6.3, and see if that drops it any.

Honestly if things are looking good, I don't even check my run-off. I make sure that my solution is adjusted, and go with it...it's probably not the best practice, but it's how I do things. If I start seeing a problem, then I check it.

Latest posts

Back