RO System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Real78

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a RO System for home and wanted to know what people recommend?

This one is pretty inexpensive compared to others i have seen, and seems pretty popular, i havent used it myself so i cant vouch for it.
xxx.growannex.com/water-filtration/2421-stealth-ro100.html

I just have the Culligan RO system in my kitchen, i use that water and it works great for me.

Are you wanting to get an RO because of high PPMs in your tap water?

@THG: Yes, my ppms are high and I was buying water from a local store for a while then their ppms started getting in the upper 100ppms. I will use this as drinking water as well because I drink a lot of water do to working out. The city water is 250-300ppms and that is why I need an RO system.

@Big O: What kind did you buy from ebay? There is a grow shop in my town but I am not able to go there because the cops target anyone that goes in which is bull. I already had them grab my trash a few time just for visiting the store, I am not worried because I am not doing anything but it also makes me mad because the're wasting time on me and they could be doing something better. Like busting a killer or something worst other then waste my tax money.

check out hydro logic. i live in the mountains, and have a well. the water is really hard.

the hydro logics have a little adapter fitting to change from 3:1 waste (for really bad water) to 2:1 waste (for normal every day bad water).

filters are cheap, and the setup is a breeze if you're slightly handy. definately get a pressurized storage tank. i get about 1.5 gal from a 2 gal tank before i have to wait for it to refill, or just let the faucet trickle out.

best of luck

ROs have their limitations. As mentioned earlier, they make water fairly slowly. You will have a small pressure tank with the system that will generally hold a couple of gallons. After that is depleted, it takes several more hours to make a few more gallons. An RO also wastes a large amount of water. It bypasses up to 5 gallons of tap water to make up 1 gal of RO water. How much water is bypassed depends on how bad your water is. Filter costs are also a concern.

I would not buy a unit from a hydro place. You can get a lot better buy on E-bay.

Ebay:Here are two I am looking at the counter top would work great when I don't need to use it.
hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/PREMIER-TRIPLE-WATER-FILTRATION-SYSTEM-COUNTER-TOP-/280472413326?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item414d75648e

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/Premium-6-Stage-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filter-System-RO-/380305508657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588bf98931

Read the specs carefully. I checked out the ones HD and Lowe's have. The quick glance "features" tells you it delivers like 1-point-something gallons per hour. The real specs limit long term to like 4 or 5 gallons per day. The one you're looking at may be a better system than the big boxesters.

I still go to the local grocery store and fill 5 gallon containers for $1.75/5gallons from their top-notch RO machine--five gallons of 6.5pH water in 2 minutes.

Personal experience: my life got infinitely easier when I went from adjusted tap water to consistent RO.

agreed ..my HL stealth 200 rocks and has the 2:1 adapter fitted...ppm's are usually between 0 and 3..

This is where and what I use:

hXXp://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html

They also have cheaper models and more expensive ones too.

Do not forget to change the XX to tt

:bong:

@PCDuck how much do you spend on filters per year? I think I may get that set up this week.

I picked up a hydro logic stealth 200 over the weekend. It can make over 100 gal a day and is well worth the extra money than a cheap system!!!

I'm with PCDuck, I got the 5-stage from bulkreefsupply.com and couldn't be happier. I later added a second membrane to up the output and cut down on the waste, it kicks out around 6 gallons an hour of 0ppm water. I've had it for 3 or 4 months and use around 30-40 gallons a week I would say, and the tds meter on it is still reading 0ppm so the filters are still good. A replacement pack of filters with the DI resin is $32, pretty cheap.

Real78 said:
@PCDuck how much do you spend on filters per year? I think I may get that set up this week.

When I need to change filters I think they are $32 for all the filters plus DI resin.

Look into replacement filters for the stealth RO...look at the life of the filters and go with the info!!! :D

Your water pressure has all to do with your RO output no matter what system you get.

I just fill a 20 gallon tote with water from a 4 stage countertop model, it was $69.00, has worked for years with only one time ever changing the membrain.

if you have a pet shop around near you,ill go with a d&d solution reverse osmosis unit,they are great and its dead easy to get spare parts for it,i have one and the membrain has lasted me for over 2 years already,proberly because it has a membrain flushing tap on it.

if you have low water pressure then install an RO booster pump and that will boost your water pressure up to 8-9 bar saving time on filtering water and cutting down on water waste

Why not just put a Brita filter on your tap? I would think that would get your ppms down, if it's still to high, get a Brita pitcher and run it through there too. Much cheaper than an RO system, and the filtering is done lickety split.

if you are trying to filter alot of water then i dont think a brita filter is going to cut it,you would be going through them like nothing and that would end up costing more money then just buying an ROunit

Latest posts

Back