rootbind / wind burn / lack of light ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sMACkaddict

Señor Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have 4 plants vegging in a moderately tight space. They are, I have to double check, just over 2 months old and they are all over 3' tall and I just installed a 1000w lamp on a dimmable ballast. They were under a 400w so I am slowly working them up to the full 1000w (not really relevant). I have a 1.5' tower fan, tilted back so it blows upward, oscillating.

So they are over 3' and in 5gal containers. Some of the newer growth on the bottom of the plants is getting crinkly and also has some necrotic patches. I am 99.9% sure the problem is either rootbind / wind burn / lack of light.

I am planning on pruning a lot of the lower growth today and using it for clones. I haven't done any pruning on them yet besides fimming one of them about a month ago.

The canopy is lush with growth and not much light filters 3' down to the lower growth.

Does it sound like they are root bound?

The way the fan blows air is very directed and I believe is/was causing wind burn on the lower, weaker branches. Should I change to a normal circular fan?

Ill put up pics tonight or tomorrow...

Let me know if you need more info

thanks
sMACk

need pics to diagnose your issues

I don"t think you are root bound. My plants are three ft. tall, in 3 gal. pots, and I have no problems w/ root-binding. Wind burn? I don't know what that is -- have never dealt with wind burn. It's difficult to get light to reach down through the canope 3 feet, but I don't think that is the prob either -- I think it is a ventilation problem -- there isn't enough air exchange in your grow area. Are the plants packed in there tight? Just a thought.

Peace

Here are some pics. I am attempting to upload these from my so phone so we will see how this goes...

Hemper, there are large passive intakes level with the base of the plants and I have that tower fan oscillating plus a 400cfm fan at full bore with a cooltube. The plants are definitely packe in there tho. :D

Iron, I do not speak the local language fluently so it had been a slow process finding the types of places you mentioned. I just now in touch with them and starting to check out what they have available, which still isnt much.

sMACk

close.jpg

close2.jpg

close3.jpg

close4.jpg

over.jpg

At this point I would snip out all that lower growth that isn't making it up to the top of the canopy. Then just stand the fan up straight and allow it to blow under the plants. If the canopy is really dense and there isn't enough air movement above to disperse any heat building below the light, then you may need a second small fan to stir that air up.

I kind of agree with Drfever on the hungry look. It may also be that the plant is beginning to starve out the lower leaves and shoots that aren't getting enough light as they will do that at this stage. That is why I go ahead and clean out that bottom area of the plants.

After another, closer look, I suspect you may also have a magnesium deficiency starting. What nutes and any cal/mag addives are you using?

As a side note; wind burn is actually overdrying of the leaves from constantly having dry air blowing on them. If that was happening, it would only show on the side facing the fan and the leaves would be crinklyand dry looking :)

They do look dry and crinkly in spots. Also, I rotate the plants daily, position and direction.

I just fed them with some dry happy frog nutes almost a week ago as I noticed they seemed hingry.

I just took clones today and did some pruning. They will be moving outdoors for flowering and I think some of the lower growth will get substantial light then.

I think I am going to change out the tower fan for a circular fan.

Im writing this out on my phone, sorry if I seem curt or unappreciative.

Thank you guys/gals

sMACk

They will be fine, Smack. I bet they take off like rockets when put outside -- green Mojo to you, grower.

Peace

Ohh Hemper, you know just what to say.. ;)

I just took my first clones yesterday so Im gonna be coming to you for help soon :D

Thanks peeps

sMACk

I think they look solid as well. Hush mentioned trimming the smaller shoots out from the bttm and I agree and ..... adding a bit of cal/mag is not a bad idea either.

Aight, well I do have epsom salts that I havent touched since i bought them... Maybe its time to start usin em.

Thanks for the input

sMACk

Latest posts

Back