"SATIVA EXPERTS NEEDED!" Buds arn't FAt, But Look Potent. 9 wk in Flower. Harvest????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herb

Herbalist
Reaction score
Hey all!

Im in need of some PRO advice! Ive added pics to help.
Im in 9th week of flower and have one plant. This is my first grow and chose a sativa unaware of the trouble you might encounter with size in a cupboard, obviously i went through hell trying to fix this. I have done the very best you can do with training in my eyes to keep the light at a desired height. Its not 100% but im going to have to live with it and learn from that mistake. I have two 400 watt HPS one about 15cm away from tops (best i can do!!) and the other at the bottom-side 15cm away... and a good cooling system, always 28deg celsious.

on to the point..

Amongst another 10-15 branches of heads- like the one sticking out my cupboard on the photo ive taken, i want to know if its READY? I know when 70% of hairs are red its ready, its about 40% red and seems like their taking ages to get bigger. Their also not Dense! rahter Airy, but look strong! does it look ready? Should i do a 2week flush now? it just seems their not going to get any bigger?? Help Help Help

does this even look like a good smoke??

Cheers for anyhelp comrads

PIC_0008.JPG

PIC_0013.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

my last grow was a bagseed and turned out to be a sativa. had 13 weeks of flowering and the trichs were all cloudy, none amber. i wish i had waited another week but i needed my grow tent. i would invest in a 30x electronics microscope, trichs are the best way of telling when harvest is near.....

Kinda looks like you have a light leak in the area and to me in the second pic in the bottom right hand side it looks like a male flower I am not 100% sure but that is the way it looks to me.

You need a 30x or better magnifier to see the triches to know when the plant is ready to harvest.

Hope I am wrong on the male flower

thanku so much

if it is a hermie will the buds be smaller?

If its a hermi you need to pick all the little yellow male flowers off or you will loose bud weight to seeds being made.

HI Herb,

Welcome to MP! Your buds are filling out very nice! :aok: I just finished up a very 'Thai' looking bagseed sativa plant. Here's a link to some pics i put up:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50432

It looks like you have a couple weeks or more to go imo... You still have a lot of white pistils and although most strains pistils do turn red/orange/brown when it's close to harvest time, like Ozzy mentioned above you really need to pick up a $10, 20x or 30x pocket microscope at any Radio Shack, a kid's science store or online to see the trichome resin glands on your bud surface to know when to harvest at peak potency. The trichs first develop and they are clear... as harvest time approaches they slowly turn cloudy and eventually amber in color and finally dark brown, almost black when they are well beyond peak. The start of peak potency is when all of the trichs are cloudy with some amber trichs visible as well. Some people wait until their trichomes are 50/50 cloudy and amber in color... I tend to like it closer to 35-40% amber... It's all personal preference... The more amber the trichs get, the more 'couchlock' the buzz is...

I dont see any male flowers myself... Do some searches for threads on hermies... If you Google "hermie marijuana pics" you'll see lots of examples of male flower parts appearing on female flowers. They look like a tiny banana when they emerge from the buds so people call them 'nanners.' Hopefully you haven't seen any yet and won't see any but they should be removed if you do see them because they can pollinate the female flowers and give you a big batch of seeds...

Happy Growing!:cool:

In this picture the area I circled look like a opened flower to me but like I said I hope I'm wrong

Ozzy learn to play with paint look out:D

PIC_0013.JPG

thanks again!!
i think i have a hermie:eek:
i will pick off many nanners as i can
i will grab a pocketscope

ill leave another week or two then put more pics up..

What do you mean "one at the bottom" when discussing your lights?

I'm not the lighting expert, but I understand that lighting the underside of the leaves is problematic.

Luck and peace. Hey, you're gonna have some free bud one way or another, right?

Do not light from the bottom, sides or top only. Take the bottom light place on top, your plants look like they are still stretching to me(poor lighting)instead of forming complete buds. Plus sativas take a bit longer then indicas to finish. What nutes are ya using? and at what rate? Hope this helps you solve your problem.

I was thinking imediately the light on the bottom is most likely problematic,..:huh: then realized,... that's not even the problem here,... hmmm interesting! So what I gather from what Ozzy is saying,.. you CAN save a hermie??! I ussually toss them to shwag!:eek: Hmmm I think I may learn lots and lots from my new MP family! That is quite an interesting plant too,.. I don't think I've ever seen a sativa in such a "compromised position,.." It is actually kinda cool the way he's layin down there,... Let me ask you what may be a silly question,.. If he's creepin out of the cupboard,.:eek: . Why,... do you stuff him in there? You have closet issues?:confused: lol,..."I got friends in "Crawl spaces" (low places),.;) ..lol,... and at the risk of soundin podunk hillbilly,... what is a "trichs":yeahthat:

HI,

Good eye Ozzy! :rolleyes: The only real danger a hermie usually poses is if you have other flowering plants it can pollinate them... If you are vigilant and get most of the nanners before they open and spread their pollen you'll be able to squeeze another couple/few weeks out of her til it's more ripe...

Peace!:cool:

spiritlovescolorado said:
;) ..lol,... and at the risk of soundin podunk hillbilly,... what is a "trichs":yeahthat:

trichs= trichomes, or the crystals in your bud. It's what most of us use to check for ripeness. they are clear, cloudy, amber, or dark. a split of cloudy and amber is peak time to harvest. Hope this answered your question.

Ozzy good eye man. I tried to blow these pics up last night and my puter froze up...lol...but I'd have never seen that anyway, it looks like a yellow blur on my comp. It was identifiable after you pointed it out though.

very very helpful!!!!!!!!!!
and very very funny spiritlovescolarado! (smoke more weed than i do!)
thanks for sherlock homing my bud ozzy!!!!!!!!
im on track now with my Hermie :hitchair:

Lol you all make me smile! Thanks,.. That was getting really rare! Wow I'm learning Lot's and Lot's Thanks so much Leagal! And Those pics pencil (say that three times fast! lol) Those ARE perrrrty! Ha ha ha ha Herb! Never did answer that closet question,.. I know a counslor,.. lol! she actually quit,..hmmmm fool chats with me email! Thanks kids again for the smiles Info and pics What a gang! Hey herb,.. Keep your Hermie in the closet,...roflmao!

Yup man you got a little while. I am in my 14th week of flowering right now and just now starting to see amber trichs. My sativa was a bag seed as well and yes they grow tall and take a good deal longer to mature. Dont cut her too early man!!! it will be worth the wait and your buds will really start getting denser in the last few weeks. Just by the pics and the look of your bud you have a good month to go but as EVERYBODY has said, you need a 30x scope. the pistals or hairs are kind of a indication but the true test is the trichs.

i was planning on harvesting over a month ago but decided to wait and its made a huge diffrence!!!!!!!!!! buds gain weight, mass, and got really tight looking just in the last week.

Anyway good luck man your girl/boy looks really good but has a ways to go.

oh yeah and dont be too alarmed if in the last month she looses every last leaf on her. mine did and she has finished beautifuly!!!! ppl told me she was done and to cut her but the trichs said other wise and she has really rewarded me for the stay of execution!!!

She LOST her leaves!!!!!!! And she pulled through? I threw out the friggin timers! They would go off one night and not back on then on but then not off! I through them out and will ONLY trust myself now! So for the fist grow here and they are now 9 weeks and the lights are out 8 and on 16 hrs,.. I am seeing a little change in the tops,..What am I watching for now? I can't get a cam right now,.. to many outta pocket med expenses right now! I sure appreciate you all! Clearly,......Crystal

:postpicsworthless: :ignore:

Latest posts

Back