Satori Comparison Grow - Organic vs. Soilless/Synthetic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started some satori for the first time, I guess this is your first time too HC420, do you think the tops of those colas will fatten up?

Probably not this phenotype.

Both these plants are clones from the same mother. When I picked the mother, she was the healthiest plant among 3 females I grew from seed.

When I flowered out the mother candidates, another plant wound up with huge main colas. And I mean huge. But then she developed mold (the first time ever in my grow closet).

I didn't get my USB microscope focused well enough on the AN plant's trichome pics. My hands aren't very steady.

I'd like to ask the experienced Satori growers a question: How much amber do you like to see before you harvest Satori? I believe I remember reading that some people here don't like much amber in their Satori, and always harvest it on day 63.

I like a very up high so i take it with clear and cloudy, no amber usually at 63 days for me. You are in for a really great treat! Can't wait to see how you like it.. .love satori.

Like Rosebud, I like my sativas taken with little to no amber. I like the up high. I generally take them at 9 weeks, too. But some find the racy high a bit much. Mandala includes this in the strain description on their site: "Recommended for experienced smokers and if you have a high THC tolerance. Persons not used to highly psychoactive sativas should be cautious with the dosage."

It is my fav wake and bake strain. Hope you like it!

Thanks Rosebud and THG.

May I ask if you consider flowering day 1 as the day of flip to 12/12, or when you see first signs of flowering?

Thanks.

I harvested on day 64. I'll give a first impression of both plants, and then post harvest pics in subsequent posts.

Both plants were very aromatic and sticky. Just a great, strong aroma and lots of sticky crystals.

The AN plant was bigger, and the buds were very dense and heavy.

The organic plant was very good; just smaller with less dense buds.

Edited to add: I harvest only the main colas for drying and curing (i.e. for smoking). Everything else of value goes in the freezer for hash making. I got a large hash pile from each plant.

Smoke Report

All my harvest has dried, and is now in quart mason jars with 62% boveda packs.

The AN plant yield was at least 25% more than the organic plant yield. Maybe 30% more.

My wife and I tried a sample of each plant tonight, and our impressions were:

1. While the AN buds were heavier, the organic buds seemed "less woody".

2. Both plants smelled great. They both had an equally strong skunk smell.

3. In my opinion, the AN plant smoked the smoothest.

4. In my wife's opinion, the organic plant smoked the smoothest.

5. The potency of the plants is the same - a wonderful sativa high.

I'll post my overall thoughts once I've smoked each plant a couple times.

Great job my friend,,,I can almost smell it burning. Yehaaaaaaaaaa
I have tried both in my outdoor Veggie gardens and honestly didnt see much difference in my Veggies. I like Organic gardening because it so much better for the Planet,,,but thats about it to me.

Great job my friend,,,I can almost smell it burning. Yehaaaaaaaaaa
I have tried both in my outdoor Veggie gardens and honestly didnt see much difference in my Veggies. I like Organic gardening because it so much better for the Planet,,,but thats about it to me.

Thank you.

Tonight my wife and I are gonna do another round of smell/taste/high comparisons. I'll post the results.

I have been so impressed with Satori thus far. Great smell, GREAT sativa high. I've been Indica-only (or mostly Indica) for too long. Although I still love Indicas.

Harvesting Tip

The 2 Satori clones in this comparison grow are actually my second Satori grow. I grew their mother from regular seed, and flowered her out a few weeks ago.

I asked for advice here and other places as to the best amber trichome ratio to indicate peak harvest for Satori. THG and rosebud both suggested harvesting Satori clones at day 63, even with little-to-no amber.

So I decided to harvest the mother later (some buds at day 67, and some buds at day 70). But when flowering her clones, I harvested both at day 64.

It seems clear to both my wife and myself that day 64 (or 63) is the best harvest day for our Satori preferences, at least for the phenotype we had. It's more of an up high than waiting later to harvest.

Thanks to THG and rosebud. I'll be harvesting Satori clones at day 63 from now on.

I cant wait to run across some Satori. Heard so many good things. Probably have to take a trip and see Rose are THG. Lol

nice harvest hotel....... I still got one big Satori bud left from a grow a couple of years ago......... I've had a couple omg I'm stoned moments with her to.

I had a rough day yesterday for reasons that border on my desire to transition away from lifting heavy bags of soil, pots, and water buckets. And thus my reason for trying AN in the first place.

Night before last, I filled up a 5-gallon bucket with water to sit out and off-gas overnight. I picked up the bucket by its handle with my right arm and moved it about 5 feet. I felt a slight strain in my neck, but I was fine. Until I woke up yesterday morning.

When I woke up and got out of bed, the right side of my neck hurt so bad I had to lay back down. Then it moved down the right side of my spine and I was in the worst back and neck pain I can ever remember. I couldn't get a chiropractor appointment until 3:15. My wife had to drive me there, and I had to wait an hour in a hard chair before the chiro could see me.

One quick twist-and-jerk of my neck hurt like you wouldn't believe, but the disk crunched and went back in place immediately. Major relief.

Latest posts

Back