"Seedling" Period?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liermam

Reaction score
Kind of a wierd question, but in many guides/resources I see online and otherwise, they all mention a 1-3 week "seedling" period after germination, followed by the common vegetative and flowering periods.

What i'm wondering is, do growers 'round here generally lump the "seedling" period in with the vegetative period? It seems to be the case in most journals. I guess I just want to confirm that I'm not counting my plants age wrong.

Thanks in advance.

This Is Just IMO .... 7 out of 10 plants that I grow The Seed usually stays on the 1st leaf and doesn't fall off for the first week or so..although the 1st leaf broke through the soil.....I guess thats y they call it a seedling period.....But 2 answer your question....the vegative stage actually starts when your plant gets its 1st source of light 24/0 or 18/6 whichever the grower decides 2 use

I believe a seedling become a plant when it gets it's second set of true leaves ... the ones with the three prong leaves ... then it's a plant ... :hubba:

I've never heard the term "seedling".

hehe...as with quite a few terms in botany, this one's got a lot of definitions.

a young tree grown from seed, from germination to the sapling stage.

A young plant grown from seed.

plant of seed origin resulting from the fusion of an egg and sperm (pollen).

A young, recently germinated plant that has a single unbranched stem.

An unbloomed young orchid.

the next growth phase of the leaves after the cotyledons but before the juvenile leaves

A tree grown from seed that has not yet reached a height of 0.9 m (3 ft) or exceeded 5.1 cm (2 in) in dbh, which would qualify it as a sapling.

A baby plant. In forestry the term usually used to refer to young trees that have grown beyond the stage where they have just emerged from the soil up to the point that they become saplings. See sapling.

A tree, usually less than 2 inches diameter at breast height, that has grown from a seed rather than from a sprout.

Young tree grown from seed, from the time of germination until it reaches sapling size.

In nursery practices, a young tree that has not been transplanted.

a young tree less than 2 inches DBH or shorter than 4.5 feet.

A tree less than 1.35 meters tall. See the trees topic for more.

a young tree grown from the seed up to the sapling stage, that is a height of 4 1/2 to 6 feet (1.5 to 2 meters)

A tree, usually less than 2 inches in DBH, which has grown from a seed (in contrast to a sprout).

A nursery grown tree which has not been lifted and replanted in the nursery (see transplant).

the term for a plant that has just emerged from its seed with its first root, stem and leaves.

a young plant that has just germinated

young plant or tree grown from a seed

A seedling is a young plant sporophyte developing out of a plant embryo from a seed. Seedling development starts with germination of the seed. A typical young seedling consists of three main parts: the radicle (embryonic root), the hypocotyl (embryonic shoot), and the cotyledons (seed leaves). ...

Seedling most commonly refers to: *Seedling, young plants after germination from seeds (sometimes also referred to as sprouts)

Liermam,
I think your question is when to start counting the "veg" time. This you do from the time the new inner leaves form after the sseed emerges and opens, usually a day or 2 from when the seed-case is shed and the plant opens. So don't add in 'seedling time', just note the DOB. If I start a lot of seeds at once I usually start the clock when the last one is up- even when they sprout over a few days. It's a lot easier on my calendar when they all have the same B'day.
I refer to new plants as seedlings, until they are old enough to get nutes, but that is only my label to keep things organized. Also, most of us stoners weren't botanists b4 growing, so a lot of times things aren't named clearly or correctly and that can add confusion. ( I've seen alot of posts in which the word "strand" is used instead of "strain". ***?)

I start on day one the day the seeds poke through the dirt and receive their first bit of light. That's day one. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Latest posts

Back