Showing Amber in lower buds is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaiant

Reaction score
I'm beginning to see some amber in the lower bud pistols but I'm only into week 5 of flowering. I'm growing a Haze variety with expected finish at 9-12 weeks and wondering if there is a general rule to follow when getting closer to harvest, well because of the appearance of some amber on lower buds. The top buds are definitely showing frosty but no amber on pistols. I'm kinda a wondering if this is a normal thing?

Every strain is different even every Pheno is different. But thats is early, are you checking under natural light? If your using HPS it can fool you because it gives off a red colour.

Early birds... LOL

I get them all the time. I have some Kush in flower right now that's showing amber at 35 days. All the others in the same room are clear. Just one plant. And, just some areas.

Like I said, I get it all the time.

Whew! Dosnt sound very abnormal then good and I'll check tomorrow with led off. Huhm maybe can smoke a lower bud or two to sample then soon. Awesome!

While different strains and different phenos can differ, IMO, it is abnormal to have amber trichs in 5 weeks on a strain that takes 9-12 weeks. You may see it on a 7 week indica, but for a long flowering strain like a haze, well, it seems highly unlikely, so if they are in fact amber, I would call it abnormal.

Take a small leaf out of the grow room and look at it with natural light. We are talking trichomes not red hair, right?

We are talking trichomes not red hair, right?

Good point Rose, red/ amber pistols at 5 weeks would be normal too me, but has nothing to do with the plant being ready at all.

While different strains and different phenos can differ, IMO, it is abnormal to have amber trichs in 5 weeks on a strain that takes 9-12 weeks. You may see it on a 7 week indica, but for a long flowering strain like a haze, well, it seems highly unlikely, so if they are in fact amber, I would call it abnormal.

Did you see the picture that I posted in my Afghan thread? I harvested the mother at 63 days (9 weeks) and the clone had amber at just over 30 days.

My equatorial Sativa had early birds all the time. I'm surprised with all your vast experience that you have never seen this.

Thanks for the inputs I can't believe I've been away from growing for so many years but never indoor and so long ago. I thought I'd take this up for a hobby now it's turned into a passion lol. I think I'm hooked and lovin it too but still need to roll my first indoor joint and say...... Dang that's good s...! That big fat soon is right around the corner. A guy can research it to death but experience talks. There is so much to learn for a simple out of the box concept to grow plants. I've got six babies at 5 weeks and I'm already thinking of the next batch beyond that lol. I'm thinking growing is inspirational and getting back to the basics of growing is Rockin' good stuff.

Thanks for the input

I am about to flush with cloudy and some amber, but if I look around allot, I can still find some clear.

Gaiant, you got it... the addiction, the passion, whatever you call it... it is a wonderful hobby... or obsession, whatever you want to call it. glad your here!

Latest posts

Back