Simple Question about LED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah :)

I bought 8 fixtures and got them all for $1,350. Sara will sell them for $168 if you directly to her (or anyone else for that matter from Mars Hydro, but I deal with Sara) for the Mars II 400w fixtures (175w Actual Draw)

So 4 fixtures would be rough $675 with free shipping...and that shipping is silly fast! Myself, and HighBrixMMJ and a few others recent purchased, and we all noticed a crazy fast shipping! I got mine in 2 days. :D

I would do a side by side, but honestly can not see the point in running a hot light source, that's an extreme fire hazard and will pull 400w more of electric.. I'm kinda "over" HPS really. I was exceedingly scared and worried about doing this, and went head first when I filled my two tents with LED's but it seems to have been well worth it!

The thing with the Mars Hydro stuff, is.. you're not buying timmers in lights, and dimmers for diodes, and remotes etc etc. You're not even buying a darn power switch! You're buying a decent quality light with no frills. With other companies, the initial cost can be really pricey and there's lots of bells and whistles you don't need that jacks the price way up. Some of them are more worth it than others, but there certainly is a sea of LED crap out there!

PJ is my skipper in that essence. hah! :rofl:

the only part I have issue saying/relaying/conveying is the: 1/2 wattage part.
I live the 60or90w/sqft so I pass that on freely.

by my logic, if "industry standard" is 1000w or 1200w(2x600) HPS in a 4x4 tent and LEDs grow in 1/2 the wattage, then a 500-600w DRAW LED should grow a 4x4 tent. (600/16 = 37.5 w/sqft)
But if I do the math the other way...
4x4 = 16 sqft
16x60=960 (edited out the 90w/sqft as we are talking INSIDE a tent and NOT room)
Thus a 4x4 tent should have 960w DRAW LED... (not even close to 1/2 of 1000 or 1200)

:(

Now you have to dip into spectrum and PAR beyond that Joe :aok:

that's fine and I'd love to (will) learn all that too
but I can't see past my "logic road-block" posted above.

So lets assume the quality of the LED light is better (not disagreeing just taking a logic step) that still does not make 960 one half of 1000.

and if we keep looking @ it from the "1/2 watt" side, then the higher quality LED light should do what a 1000w HPS does with 500w so why should I suggest some one get 900+ watts of LED to grow in a 4x4 tent?
(4x4=16 x60= 960)

:48:

but I can't see past my "logic road-block" posted above.

It's like when I quit smoking cigs. I just.. didn't put the cig to my mouth.

Well, just.. tell yourself you want to see past your logic road-block and then lemme know what you gaze upon! :D :)

So lets assume the quality of the LED light is better (not disagreeing just taking a logic step) that still does not make 960 one half of 1000.

It doesn't have to, I believe is the answer here :D
I'm sure PJ can shed proper light on this

Like I said,,those babies gonna have to drop down in price before i try them. And again,, i will have to see a side beside done by someone i trust,,such as,,lets say,,,,,,ME,,,,,,before i can see if it is the Evolution of Grow Lights,, or just another stab at it. And that aint gonna happen cause I aints gots no money for them expensive bastages. lol

I will say i love my Led lighting i use inside and outside my home. I have replaced all my lighting at home with LEDS because it saves me money,,THATS PROVEN,,,and the lighting is great for reading and such. Did the same thing yrs ago with CFL over incandescent,,,saved money.
But reading and growing is two different things. I will just have to watch you guys grow with LEDS,, and show me a Great Big Huge Dense Ace Bud.
And then,, i will still have to grow with HPS,,cause i cants afford those expensive Bastages. :rofl:
Besides my Wife will get mad ifen i cant afford to put Gas in her Jag.

Lol, I think u just need to drop 5 bills, and get some led grow lights. That's the only way, kinda like santa clause, seeing is believing ;)

I used HPS in the past, my grows were good everyone was amazed..

Now I have LED's, and my mind is blown.. it was a scary leap, but the plants love it and u can tell.. The only reason I can see that you would get less yield, is because you have to relearn what you know about grow lights. You may have your lights too close, or too far away.

I have grown some buds u can't squeeze with your fingers, and I am an amateur with some led's, so they can be dense. And the trichs like they all say..

I think my leap into the led lighting has turned my mediocre plants, into photo quality amazing beautiful sticky icky icky plants :)

I say, do it!!

This is from an autoflower plant that I was going to throw away because it was lagging very far behind the others, it was sick and just had a rough life, but still on a sick plant, led's can grow some big dense nugs.

View attachment 20150218_084011.jpg

Yes but did you quit smoking Ciggs? lol

Nice Bud. Im gonna keep watchen you guys,,yall are doing a great job with those LEDS.

Okay, so I am looking at 700-800W of LED to replace a 400W HPS...I am not seeing where the savings in electricity is going to happen?

Savings is what i would need to afford Leds. Lol

Reactions: zem
You're not going to replace 400watts of HPS with 800watts of LED... if you're talking EQUIVALENT. Or are you saying you're about ready to upgrade from 400watts of HPS to about 800watts of LED? I'm confused here THG. :(

If you want to replace a 400watt HPS light, use something that has about 175-225watts of actual draw power... that's about equivalent. And in that regard, you save nearly half, since draw wattage is half.
Also, and you're not talking about this but since we're past the whole "confused about draw" part (we're past that ya? hah) you save on about half or MORE for nutes. Do not run your nutes the same level as you have, I don't care how well known your strain is. I'm 110% proof that you need to heed that warning! lol..

So.. save almost 1/2 on electricity and a little more than half on nutrients used.

you forgot to conclude "and yield the same or better" part there... thats what i would like to talk about, g/w ratio...

Yes, I am looking to replace a 400W MH/HPS with 700-800W of Led...or close to 400 working watts. That is what I was told that I would need.

thg im curious if thats what you need then why are you still considering this? :confused2:

no bulbs to buy
less cooling (fan watts)
less nutes used

better weed(?)

cool purple glow :p

off the top of my :fly: head

no bulbs to buy
less cooling (fan watts)
less nutes used

better weed(?)

cool purple glow :p

off the top of my :fly: head
i need heat for 9 months per year. bulbs are cheap. my ferts are cents in cost... if im not saving electric im not buying led just to have a cool blinding purple light lol i wonder if this LED hype will ever end with a conclusion?

Probably better off sticking with hid Zem, unless higher quality bud is enough for you.

Yes, I am looking to replace a 400W MH/HPS with 700-800W of Led...or close to 400 working watts. That is what I was told that I would need.
Not sure who told you that, but you have it backwards. If you are replacing 400 watts of HPS you need 200 watts of LED power.

Latest posts

Back