Sound Off! Need Nominees for GREATEST GUITAR SONGS EVER! Give me your picks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like slashs solo in november rain...maybe not the best ever but so badass...

TURKEYNECK said:
I like "put your lights on"

by Santana featuring Everlast

Oh god...please shoot yourself in the foot...

That is not Santana as we know him...that was to sell records.
And appeal to a younger crowd. It was almost a sell out album.

MP Rocks! I knew it. I haven't seen one suggestion that wasn't golden! And more than a few I hadn't thought of - which is exactly why I'm doing this! Kaotik mentioned Pantera. Duh, why didn't I think of them? Dimebag is an amazing guitarist!

Originally Posted by JustAnotherAntMarching
hey guys i wasnt alive when most of the songs mentioned above came out so im not firmilar with most of them... Im gonna keep the trend rolling with my fave tune from before i was born...
Give me your newer picks too! Lots'a major guitarists these days.

kaotik said:
i think it's safe to say almost any Zeppelin, DC, SRV, Van Halen, Maiden song fits, so i tried to avoid them.. though still went with the commen lol ;)
A few folks mentioned this as well Kaotik, and it's true; every time Page or Stevie or Jimi picked up a guitar it was magic. Still, there are those gems that maybe sparkle just a little brighter for one person or another. Maybe it was just a particular event, like Jimi's SSB at Woodstock. He probably played that a zillion times but, man, that one cut is just iconic! Maybe it's just personal; for me, a huge Pat Travers fan, the cut of "Boom Boom, Out Go the Lights" he did on tour with Pat Thrall in '79 is just the shizz. Anytime he played it was awesome, but that one cut just does it for me somehow.

Keep it comin' people! Any eclectic weirdos like me out there? Any King Crimson or **** Dale fans? Anybody got any Arlo Guthrie favorites?

~Sanx (He Who Lurks)

Slipknot
(Phsycosocial)

Floater
(all the stories but one)
(Cinnama)

Pearl Jam
(once)

chris1974 said:
Slipknot
(Phsycosocial)

Oh yeah, good stuff. Hadn't thought'a that. Thanx!

Keep it comin' folks!

~Snax (He Who Lurks)

oh yeah, Arlo Guthrie.:) .

going out to the country
don't you wanna go...:cool: ...

love Pat Traverse.

how about some Billy Thorpe
children of the sun...:hubba:

a few 80's , J. Giles , Huey Lewis, Loverboy, Quiet Riot, Aldo Nova, Survivor, just a few...

70's , REO Speedwagon
157 Riverside Avenue, Live.:hubba: ... Ridin' The Storm Out...

Triumph
Never Surrender...

The Kinks / All

The Cars/All

Does anyone remember the king biscuit flower hour?:D ...Irish...

IRISH said:
how about some Billy Thorpe
children of the sun...:hubba:

Loved that tune! Whatever happened to old Billy anyway? He was kinduv a one-hit-wonder I guess, but what a hit, huh? I just turned my youngest on to it the other day when we heard it on the radio on the way home from his school.

IRISH said:
Does anyone remember the king biscuit flower hour?:D ...Irish...

You're dating yourself there Irish! (and me too!) It was Bill Minkin who hosted, right? We used to tune in religiously every Sunday night on KLOS in LA. It's right up there with all the other icons of my wasted youth: Farah Fawcett :hubba: , muscle cars :cool: , Monty Python's Flying Circus :bongin: , Benny Hill :rofl:, etc..

Really good stuff everybody. Keep it goin'!

~Snax (He Who Lurks)

guitar licks

John McLaughlin, My Goals Beyond album...Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
Julian Bream Guliani opus 110
Andres Segovia Villa Lobos prelude #4
Ry Cooder Jazz Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now
Chris Smither Guilty
Jorma Kaukonen Hesitation Blues
William Ackerman The Inpending Death Of The Virgin Spirit
Preston Reed A Day At The Races
Tal Farlow My Funny Valentine
Wes Montgomery Leila
Les Paul Three Blind Mice

just thinking out loud

umbra said:
guitar licks

John McLaughlin, My Goals Beyond album...Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
Julian Bream Guliani opus 110
Andres Segovia Villa Lobos prelude #4
Ry Cooder Jazz Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now
Chris Smither Guilty
Jorma Kaukonen Hesitation Blues
William Ackerman The Inpending Death Of The Virgin Spirit
Preston Reed A Day At The Races
Tal Farlow My Funny Valentine
Wes Montgomery Leila
Les Paul Three Blind Mice

just thinking out loud

I think I just fell in love with you. Cooder, Les Paul and even Segovia! My mother taught classical guitar and I've been a Segovia fan for as long as I can remember. Your choice is great too, all of Ponces preludes are great! Number 4 was the one in F#- as I recall. I just love the whole Chopin/Bach thing that he did! Really elegant marriages. Wow. Great choices my friend, all! You are obviously a serious student.

I really stoked at the response from everyone. I hope the list gets bigger yet!

~Snax (He Who Lurks)

how 'bout Roy Clark ??
"Under the Double Eagle"..or (lookout below) :rofl:

no Chuck Berry - Johnny b good listed yet eh? huh
kinda suprised there's no Clapton/Derek and the dominoes/cream listed yet either.. i'd add Layla *electric (but ya'll know me, big Allman bros fan, Duane's slide work is amazing.. another great musician dead too soon)

how'bout some Ventures.. apache'65 or walk don't run :D
Danzig - Mother :) (had to throw something Danzig into the mix ;)
the outlaws - Ghost riders in the sky (rockin' cover of the country classic)

kaotik said:
no Chuck Berry - Johnny b good listed yet eh? huh
kinda suprised there's no Clapton/Derek and the dominoes/cream listed yet either.. i'd add Layla *electric (but ya'll know me, big Allman bros fan, Duane's slide work is amazing.. another great musician dead too soon)

how'bout some Ventures.. apache'65 or walk don't run :D
Danzig - Mother :) (had to throw something Danzig into the mix ;)
the outlaws - Ghost riders in the sky (rockin' cover of the country classic)

Duane was the man. But on tunes like "In Memory of Elizabet Reed", its Dicky Betts with those jazz touches like when they improvise and instead of playing in a G ionian scale they go to A dorian and B phyrgian. But Duane just smokes mixing modes up.

I'm suprised there's no Bob Seger on here or Primus (Larry LaLune is from the school of Satriani) can't think of any specific songs from them at the moment.

All That Remains
Six
The Fall of Ideals
Metal/Hardcore

B.B. King
Lucille
Blues

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Rock

Buckethead
Jordan
Elecrorock?

DragonForce
Through The Fire And Flames

Chimaira
Power Trip
Metal

Coheed and Cambria
Welcome Home
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV: Volume 1
Rock

DevilDriver
End Of The Line
The Fury of Our Makers Hand
Death Metal/Black Metal

Doobie Brothers
Black Water
Classic Rock

The Eagles
Hotel California
1980ish?
Classic Rock

I'm going to go ahead and stop there since I'm only to the E's in my library. I have to stress any song from Joe Satriani he is the best guitarist of all time IMO.

umbra said:
Duane was the man. But on tunes like "In Memory of Elizabet Reed", its Dicky Betts with those jazz touches like when they improvise and instead of playing in a G ionian scale they go to A dorian and B phyrgian. But Duane just smokes mixing modes up.

oh yeah they were an amazing duo.. i wasn't discounting Dicky at all (he wrote/lead a lot of my favorite Allman bros tunes) don't think that for a second ;) just mentioned Duane cause of Layla.

why i loved a lot of classic southern rock.. most never really had the traditional rythm and lead guitarists.. it's 2 (or 3 ;) ) great leads working together off one another.

kaotik said:
oh yeah they were an amazing duo.. i wasn't discounting Dicky at all (he wrote/lead a lot of my favorite Allman bros tunes) don't think that for a second ;) just mentioned Duane cause of Layla.

why i loved a lot of classic southern rock.. most never really had the traditional rythm and lead guitarists.. it's 2 (or 3 ;) ) great leads working together off one another.
Yes the Alman Bros were one of the first to do the twin lead an octave apart, but they stole that from horn players. Duane played with some R&B cats doing studio work for years before they put The Alman Bros together.

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy page
Robin Trower
SRV
Santana
Eddie Van Halen
for some young talent. Kenny Wayne Shepard

Eric Johnson
Cliffs of Dover
Definitely one of the best.

Dire Straits - Money is for Nothing

I just love the lick. Nothing serious, but it get's me rockin. Along with this from Mark's new album... More folk than crazy guitar.

hXXp://www13.zippyshare.com/v/92611503/file.html

(Yes, 13 is supposed to be in there...)

Latest posts

Back