staight rain water, safe to use without testing ph?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8t0thetop

Reaction score
so it rains alot where im at and there are jugs everywhere to catch rain water so people can water there plants anyway if i took a jug inside is it safe to use directly? also if i take some and just keep it in the garage until I need it will it be good to go? if the water has some discoloring cause of the jug it was being caught in or whatever the case may be is it still safe to use? Been having a problem with PH lately and waiting on a new digital tester been using just distilled checking the Ph with the color compare method

...a few factors are involved.. "contamination" being the primary. If it is collected after runoff from an asbestos roof, treated shingles, tarred roof, ect. there very well may be contaminates present. Not only causing PH issues but potential poisons.
Your proximity to 'industrial' areas, where wastes can contaminate rainfall (acid rain) may be a factor too.
if the water has some discoloring cause of the jug it was being caught in or whatever the case may be is it still safe to use?
if the jug caused it, it has contaminated it with "something". If it is detructive or not, I can't say without knowing what was in it prior. An unclean anti-freeze jug with colored water in it, would scare hell outta' me. But a say orange juice jug with a slightly orange tint of water, probably wouldn't.. (though orage juice contains citric acid, and would probably show a lower ph).. It still wouldn't be poison, like the anti-freeze.

i would say if you caught it straight outta the sky into a clean pot ,,it should be fine ,,,,:peace:

Let it rain for awhile to wash any air-borne contaminates off the roof, and then collect.

IMO metal roofs are the best to catch rain water off of. Wait 10 or 15 min to let the rain wash off the contaminates. then collect the rain water.

You can get the same Iron benifit by dropping a few nails or screws in a bucket ;)

:peace:

the water isnt running off of a roof or anything its going directly into a large bucket that stays outside maybe 500 liters I dont know but im talking about just dipping a bucket in there and watering

Latest posts

Back