Supplement MH Lighting With Which CFL'S???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the light fixture is just a 5 bulb vanity light (chrome) :hubba: that I secured a strap of round-all to the back, and hang it from a hook at the top of box.

That crazy vancouver guy said:
the light fixture is just a 5 bulb vanity light (chrome) :hubba: that I secured a strap of round-all to the back, and hang it from a hook at the top of box.

That's a great idea--you can find them everywhere in all different sizes.

The Hemp Goddess said:
That's a great idea--you can find them everywhere in all different sizes.

;) :aok::cool:

edit: it was just some crap I kept from a reno....

Thats Mad Chill... I Only Got Like 10 Sq Ft So I Wanted To Do A Small SOG And Just Grow Em All To 1' Or 1 1/2'... But I Need To Get Some Good Female Seeds First... That Means A 7 Hour Ride...

That Setup Is Nasty And Its Cool You Got It For Free From A Remod. I Think U Said Right... Did The CFL's Have To Have Ballasts Built Into The Bulb?? Or Are You Just Using Reg CLF's That Screw In To Any Outlet And Work?? Sry New At This Shyt Guys...

S O B I Forgot Whats Round-All And Where Can I Get It Lol... High Too Man Sry

ya, man... the cfl's come as a one-piece deal... I picked the 5 of 'em up at Home Depot (can) for $78 tax incl. They just screw into a regular, medium base light socket... replacing an incandescent bulb, which are being "discontinued" now in the near future.

Thats Sick So The Ballast Is Built Into The Vanity Part... Ill Have To See How Many 2 Of Them Would Be Without Bulbs... Just Use The Highest Blues For Vegging... And The Reds For Flowering... Sounds Easy Enough I Think... New To This But Definitely Loving It... Everyones Been A Huge Help... Good Looks Man

no, man...lol... the ballast is built into the bulb... that white, dome thing at the top of the bulb... is part of the bulb:rolleyes: ... the metal cap that screws into the light fixture is on top of the ballast....

I use my Daylight cfl's to both veg and flower with... as well as my 400W HPS & 400W MH w/ red spectrum bulb on the flowering table....

Ohhh I Thought It Was Built In... Theres Probably Diy's To Make Those Boards Then If The Bulb Has A Built In Ballast... Better To Just Put Money Into The Best Cfl's You Can Get Then Right??

This Time Around Im Just Usin A 400w Mh To Veg And 400whps To Flower But Def Going To Try Flo's Next Time

adammiller34 said:
This Time Around Im Just Usin A 400w Mh To Veg And 400whps To Flower But Def Going To Try Flo's Next Time

Actually what you should do is veg with the fluoros and flower with the HPS. We can give you facts and figures that show that watt for watt CFLs put out more heat, cost more initially, and cost more to operate than a HPS for flowering.

dont you mean HPS would cost more?? i think i know what you mean tho... id just need to get cfl's with built in ballasts all mine are just screw ins that put out 1600-2000 lumens i think

That crazy vancouver guy said:
I am running 5 - 150W Daylight CFL's in there now pumping out 14,250 lumens, and the plants look just dandy... and only 210W of power is being used by bulbs that will last 3x as long as a HID bulb....

Actually 400 watt MH bulbs last 20,000 hours and CFL's are rated at 10,000, Lumens do drop off as time goes by but the higher inital lummens make up for it. CFL's also have drop off but not as bad.

Also if your using 210 watts for 14,250 lumens, you could go 250 MH and have 20,000

adammiller34 said:
dont you mean HPS would cost more?? i think i know what you mean tho... id just need to get cfl's with built in ballasts all mine are just screw ins that put out 1600-2000 lumens i think

Nope--I meant just what I said: "...watt for watt CFLs put out more heat, cost more initially, and cost more to operate than a HPS for flowering."

You are also operating under some kind of misconception about CFLs. ALL CFLs have "built in ballasts", all CFLs screw into a socket. The lumens are related to the wattage of the bulb.

ok i get ya man... i have a 400w MH going now and a 400w HPS for flowering later im not even using and cfl's... i just have some 100 and 150w ones laying around brand new so i wanted to put them to use... i have all the cordsets for em too and cheap metal reflectors like the half circle ones but i wouldnt even use them id just hang the cfl's i have up with the MH but i guess its not that important... i only have 12 plants just transplanted two days ago in about an 8 sq foot spot so w.e... unless someone can convince me to hang them up as well as the MH im leaving it alone...

Latest posts

Back