T5 vs. T8 vs. T12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sap_boy

Reaction score
Simple question:

I have been told that T5s are the best flouros to use, but I'm just curious as to how much better they are than T8 or T12. Is lumen/watt ratio all I should be looking at, or should I be paying attention to spectrum, too?

I ask because the cheapes 4-bulb T5 I can find is $130.00, but I can get a 4-bulb T8 or T12 for 20-30 bucks at Home Depot.

Any help is appreciated.

Yes, the only reason I choose to use the T5 fixtures over the others is due to the high lumen to watt ratio. They are expensive, but I feel it is well worth the investment.

If I go with T8 or T12, what bulbs should I be using? T5s are advertized as "grow" and "bloom," but the others aren't.

What terminology am i looking for? Soft white? daylight? warm light?

Thanks

if you go with t8 or t12, you need to look at the temps in "k". for veggies you want 65k if possible-or close to it, and flowering you want 2700k-3000k...but if you can go with t5's, the 4 bulb 48" system only runs 150/shipping included, and the results are BAM compared to the t8 or 12's. on another note, just tried iso-hash under glass and :holysheep: ...so that should explain the ramblin. all the luck at ya sap-boy.

So I've decided to go with the T5 setup. I am going to use two four foot four bulb systems, one for veg and one for flower. But I have one more question:

Should I use a mixture of grow (6500) and bloom (3000) bulbs throughout my entire grow? For example, two grow and two bloom both the veg and flower room? Or should I use four grow in my veg room and four bloom in my flower room? using different bulbs makes sense to me, but a friend said that with the T5s it's better to have uniform and diverse light throughout the process.

Thoughts?

I got sum t5's for cloning and they work great!!

My seedlings grow under 6500K bulbs for a week or two. Once they outgrow that setup, then it's under a combination of both spectrum for the whole grow. That's just the way I do it and I love the results I get. I am not saying it is the best because I haven't done full blown, technical experiments comparing different set-ups.

I have great results in veg with the 4 foot two 40 watt T8 setup. The light/ballast and bulbs are 20 bucks at walmart and you can buy the "sunlight" t8 bulbs that are right next to the fixture.

Latest posts

Back