Tan or Burn...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warfish

Random title
Reaction score
Recently I have been spending a bunch of time under a 1k hps light and have noticed that I am either tanning or burning a bit. So, I guess my question would be does an HPS lamp tan or burn, and what about a MH lamp? Yes, odd question, hence why I found the coffee table :eek: Either way, I am loving the time I am spending under the light, hehe

Thank you,
Warfish

A good question i would like to no the answer aswel

I have often wondered if it effects your eyes being in there so long.

:peace:

warfish is on about a human him/her in person

This touches on a thought I had when I first bought some of those spiral flourescent bulbs that said "natural sunlight" on the label. I don't like cold or the winter. It would seem to me that our light exposure would help in avoiding Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Oldhippiechick,
I used to work in a warehouse that got no natural light inside in my early twenties. During the winter hours I would go to work in the dark and go home in the dark and was working 6 days per week. Every year around January or so I would go into a deep depression and start missing alot of work until the sun started to come back out more and I got more exposure. It took me a few years of this to actually realize a pattern there and since I have always tried to get more light in the winters. So that was kind of in my mind when asking this as well :)

fruity86,
Warfish is a happily married male. Married 18 years now :D yay! Found a great woman and dont plan on letting her go.

I spent many years working on coral reef aquariums for a living after the warehouse job. Was always at war with the fish, hehe ;) That's where I got my nickname.

Warfish

A tan is a slow burn.

Your lights put out enough uv rays to either tan or burn...or both.

Be carefull, skin cancer is skin cancer. Perhaps some sunblock is in order.

fruity86,
Warfish is a happily married male. Married 18 years now :D yay! Found a great woman and dont plan on letting her go.

I spent many years working on coral reef aquariums for a living after the warehouse job. Was always at war with the fish, hehe ;) That's where I got my nickname.

Warfish[/quote]

good 4 u man theres not many out there
and i like the way u chose the name

HippyInEngland said:
I have often wondered if it effects your eyes being in there so long.

:peace:

I FIRMLY believe that long exposure to HID lighting unprotected WILL do damage to your eyes, imo. I am living proof, unfortunatly.
I need glasses at night to drive ot watch TV due to "glare", that I beleive all statred with exposure to HID's.
It's my fault, I never wear sunglasses like I should.

Tanning?? Sunburn?? I don't think so, not with one 1000watt light. If that was the case, I would be a Dark brown for sure...lol.

MH put out way more uv than HPS. As for your eyes, polarized sunglasses. I have to be careful, I have several retinal burns and some fundus damage. Work related hazards:eek:

So when do you wise up and quit whacking your head on the lights? I've run around with knots on my head since I started this sport.

i got a sunburn on my shoulders and the back of my neck back when i had my 1000W HPS.... i was tending to some Sweet Tooth i had going and wasn't wearing a shirt.... after about an hour in the room i noticed i was pretty red.... the next day i was burnt....

i think i was within 2-3 feet of the bulb the entire time....

i also had a classmate way back in high school shop class do some TIG welding without a shirt on and got 2nd degree sunburns on his chest, stomach, and arms.... nowhere near the same thing as a grow lamp, but still an interesting way to get a sunburn....

LOL flesh...I'm a welder by trade....I know what that can do...what the hell was he doing welding without a shirt on???...OUCH!

what can i say, it was high school.... at least he learned why welders wear leathers....

No question about it, all discharge lamps put out UV. Haven't you read the WARNING on the bulb label? The outer glass envelope stops most of it.
I try not to get in the direct light from my mixed setup because if I do, at night, I have noticed I have trouble seeing clearly for twenty minutes afterwards.

I wear my $200 doctor perscribed polarized oakleys when I am workng in my rooms to prevent further corneal burning.

I have green cfl's for when the lights are off.
I prefer working when the lights are off.

ya know I have a pair of sunglasses that I keep on a shelf with all my gardening supplies...but I seldom use them, usually if I have just woke up and I know the lights are going to hurt I put them on...I know I should wear them, just like I know I should wear my welding helmet when I weld...but sometimes it's just easier to work without it. a quick look in the grow, usually becomes a detailled opperation of some sort, it's hardly ever a quick look.

I dunno, I am getting the impression it is messing my vision up. I am going to put in a switch so I can have just a couple of CFLs on. If I get in line of sight of the 120W CFL 6300K cluster, it whites me out completely. And I aim to add another 2 x 45W CFLs. Or better, I'll wait until the lamps just go off and then use daylight.

mh give off a minor but significant enough amount of UVB's that can cause deletrious effects upon the the human physiology. Specifically a heightened chance of skin cancer. Thats why we don't fake bake ppl or have mh's on whilst tending garden.

And I've seared my gnoggin on my parabolic hps 1kw enuff to know it may not b cancerously harmful but it WILL COOK YER BRAINZ...LOL.

Latest posts

Back