TDS Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trophy_1

Reaction score
This will be my first hydro grow. I will be running a drip system. I have 6 purple cindy clones in the bubbler all rooting and ready to go.

My question is about mixing nutes, I have GH 3 part nutes. Do I take a TDS reading of my water first the subtract that from the total after I add nutes?

Example: Un-Nuted water reads 150, and my goal is to go 300 ppm with my first batch of nutes, do I add nutes till the reading is 450 then subtract the waters 150 to get to the 300 ppm nute dosage I want.

Will ppm read differently based on the ph?

What is an acceptable range for ppm in un-nuted water?

Thanks

Do I take a TDS reading of my water first the subtract that from the total after I add nutes?
Yes

Will ppm read differently based on the ph?
As far as I know, no.
TDS/pH are affected by temperature.
Adjust pH after you've added nutrients, because nutrients have a buffer.

What is an acceptable range for ppm in un-nuted water?
"Hard water" is considered 200+ ppm.
I've never experienced this kind of water, but I've read many posters recommend a filter when this is the case.

Goodluck! :)

You have to take the ppms of your water into consideration. Like growdude said, it's 150 ppms of something. If your goal is 300 ppms, you can only add 150 ppms to take you to 300. A simple filter will not remove dissolved solids from your water. You have to use an RO system to remove dissolved solids. GH makes products for hard water--I am not sure what their recommendations are, though.

I measured my tap water and its reading 361, guess its a tad bit hard, lol. Will I be able to use it or am I looking at having to get an RO system?

:stuff-1125699181_i_ :stuff-1125699181_i_ King Bud is trippin.If u had$100 before payday,then get $650 on pay day-what you got?

trophy_1 said:
I measured my tap water and its reading 361, guess its a tad bit hard, lol. Will I be able to use it or am I looking at having to get an RO system?

If you are growing hydro it is going to mess you up. Either get an RO system or have your water tested. What over that ppm is very hard and will cause you uneeded problems. My water was 380ppm and after installing an RO system it dropped to 14.

trophy_1 said:

You may get away with using the hard water nutes, I think GH makes it.

If not look into the portable RO units on e-bay, mine was $60.00 and works great especially if you have one of those 5 gal water jugs.

Another great post.!!!Thanks for the info guys/gals.
I don't think I've had to go past page 2 EVER in a subforum to get an answer to my questions. I was going to post a question about the grow I'm about to start and here the answer is already.
I"m starting to think this is all a plot by the fuzz to get me started (answers appear to easy) and then storm my house to get me and my 2 plants lol. Thanks everyone.

One question about RO. Does an RO system flush 2-3 gals to make a gallon of RO water? I was told that some time ago and wonder if thats true.

Latest posts

Back