Tek T-5 Are they worth the cash?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeybtoken

Reaction score
Anybody using these lights? The guys at our local grow shop say that if I'm putting starts or clones under a 1000w light that I really need to give them as much light as I can durring hardening first.
They highly recomend the Tek 6-8 bulb 3'-4' before putting them under 1000W. They say that this light could put an end to my clone killing.
Are these lights really worth the money?

Peace MBT

I do not know what the difference is between the Tek T5 and the T5s from HTG, but the HTG ones are about 1/2 the cost: hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49346 The 2 tube fixtures are actually a better buy at $50.00.

Tell us exactly how you are doing your clones and the problems you are having. Maybe we can help.

I don't believe it. They may be better than the very cheap ones but I doubt there would be any difference from another quality T-5. I use the new wave 2ft-8 bulb for a 3x3 area for moms/clones and it rocks IMO. How far are you putting clones from the 1000? If they start at 3ft+ from the 1000 I don't think "hardening off" is your clone problem. If you put them right in at like 12 inches away that couldbe it. JMO

Lose the 1k for clones. That's the start of your clone rampage :)

Dude, I use a 4' ballast from Home Depot, like $18 or something and it holds 2 bulbs. Right around the corner are aquarium bulbs for like $8. I have had the same bulbs for a year and always run a 98% success rate with them. IMO though, it's not about the lighting for them, it's all about the cloning process that really matters when it comes down to it. Some use pumps, fans, rockwool, etc etc. For me, very simple. I just use peat pellets, soaked in plain old tap water(check you water quality) heat pad, dome and the above lighting. So simple and very low cost for cloning process. My two cents. GL

Thanks Hemp Goddess
As always You Rock! Confirming what my gut was telling me about what the sales dude I was dealing with was telling me.
As soon as I try my next cuts I will make sure to take the time to do a detailed step by step so that you pros can better help me.

Budders Keeper
I'm with ya I just don't see why a 350.00 light would make any difference.
I've been starting them at 5' then trying to lower my 1000W slowly but sometimes they don't seem to like the 1000W
Like I told Hemp Goddess I will just have to take some time to do a step by step to see where I'm going wrong.

nouvellechef
Again confirming what my gut was telling me when the sales dude was trying to sell me a 300-400 light for starters/clones.
Thanks for your two cents.

This is exactly what I love about this place!!! I can ask as many silly questions as I want and I know that I'm going to get experienced top shelf straight answers to be able to solve any problems that I can come up with.
I'm building a starter/clone box right now, when I start my next Grow Journal I will do my best to give a detailed step by step to what I'm doing and where I've been having problems.
As Always Thankyou All for your time and your thoughts!!!

Peace MBT

As I understand it, the TEK PL-55 T-5 lights are no better or worse than a regular type T-5, but are basically just a long T-5 folded back on itself so that you can put a 4' tube into a 2' light assembly so that you can get more light density. I.E. a 2 tube 2' TEK pl-55 T-5 would give the same light as a similar 4' T-5. I think the TEK PL-55 tubes are HO types rather than regular T-5s but I'm not sure on that.

In my experience, you do not need anywhere near that kind of ligt density for cloning and from what I've been told you don't nee dit for mother plants either. In the veg stage of a harvest oriented grow, then they might be worth the money, but I think there are other ways to get the density you are looking for.

I hope this helps.

Great smoking.

i'm sure you dont want to spend alot of money but like nouvillechef said a 4' t 12 or t 10 is great for your cloning. runs cheap and is cheap. alos for your veg cycle the first couple weeks once they are in pots it is worth the money to buy a regular t5 with 8 lights runs on less than half the watts my runs at 432 watts and has a switch for 4 lights at a time or all eight. it'll take only about four months before it pays for itself compared to the 1000. good luck

you want an inexpensive high performance light? i built this one for $160 from homedepot...you don't need anything this powerfull for clones but this is proof that DIY rules. i'd be happy to walk you through the build if you like;) it's not hard at all:D

fweed 231.JPG

fweed 214.JPG

fweed 213.JPG

fweed 167.JPG

PUFF MONKEY,

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd sure like a lot more information. Like where do you get the tube holders and how do you attach them to the fixture?

Exactly what ballasts did you use and so on?

How many tubes and what are the dimensions of the finished fixture?

Do I see an exhaust duct in the reflector?

What did you use to build the fixture/reflector from before you applied the mylar to it?

A detailed parts list would be most beneficial to me and your DIY would also give me a lot of ideas too.

Wouldn't it be just as feasible to make several smaller fixtures so that you could adjust the height for individual groups of plants easier?

Thank you for your help.

Great smoking.

by tube holders do you mean sockets ? they are in the lighting department at homedepot too lol....the ballasts i use are electronic (not tar) 4 lamp 32w GE's. they run about $15 each..very easy wiring. all i did was glue a peice of mylar to a 50"x50" board(3/8"plywood) and made a "skirt" for it. then i just mounted the "tube holders" lol, to the plywood and plugged it in. ask if you need more help.

you could make several smaller fixtures but i have no use for small anything except taxes lol.oh, and my fixture houses 16 T8's in it and yes, that is an air cooling flange....it does infact pull whatever hot air from around the bulbs keeping the seedlings at a good temp when the lights are right on top of them. it also helps to circulate the air when the board is so low that a fan doesn't do much good.

Latest posts

Back